BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

09-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #23
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
So recently, my lady friend and I have been thinking about raising a dog. We live in a 1 bedroom apartment. How do you think the dog will do in the apartments? We are looking into Golden Retrievers since they have a very good temperament and aren't too crazy.

Ideally, we would walk it/ take it outside regularly and give it plenty of exercise. I know they aren't the ideal apartment dogs but we really want to raise one. I just hope that it wont get stressed from living in a small place.

I've had plenty of dogs my life, and although they were raised outdoors (at my parents house), I have a good idea of what it takes.

Thanks in advance for all your input.
Love my Lab... We (ex) got her when we lived in a city apartment. It was the best time of our lives. We used to go to the dog park twice a day so our Lab could show off her UNRELENTING (think sore throwing arm) need to fetch. It was great.

Good luck with the pup!

MAJOR ADVICE: Make sure the dog is only in your name so some day at a bar after the bitch leaves you and takes the dog you love (which she'll never love like a man loves his Retriever) and most of your other worldly possessions, some friend doesn't drunkly quote Billy Madison and cause you to spend $10k on divorce attorney fees to get your freakin dog back. But... no regrets. Love my pup.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #24
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

You'll get tired of walking him. If you still decide to get one, for the love of god, get one from a shelter or rescue program. There's sure to be one around you'll love if you look.

Better yet, find a rescue group and foster one for a while first, no commitment.
      09-14-2011, 09:44 AM   #25
KiokenM3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: LIFTED JEEP JK!

i would recommend a breed more specific to being in a smaller environment. labs are active by nature and require some space and plenty of exercise. if i was in your shoes i would consider a old english bulldog or french bulldog who are less active breeds and would do wonderful in a apt. sounds like your gonna be a 1s time dog owner, so the two breeds would be great for you
      09-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #26
bmw-nj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335 xdrive M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenbrauezug View Post
I strongly, STRONGLY, recommend against this. I've known plenty of people who try this, and start strong walking their dog several times a day, and that care and attention always ends up tapering off. A golden retriever needs room to roam, and an area to call his own.

Remember if you start neglecting him, he may not tell you, but you'll be making him miserable without even knowing it.

Terrible idea to do that to a dog. Your being selfish if you get one.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #27
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
What an old thread.. Just thought I'd update on what happened with the whole pup situation. We decided that we were 100% sure we wanted to raise a pup. Brought home the 6 week old Golden From the breeder, we spent months looking for one at the shelter and I even contact the Golden Retriever rescue but no avail.

The past year living in a 1 bedroom apartment with our new puppy was quite the challenge but nonetheless great. There were two parks nearby and many parks to take him to. Always took him out for walks rain or shine (and in washington, its mostly rain). We also took him to doggie daycare on long work days and when the weather was too much.

Since then, we've moved into a home with a huge yard and I can't say he gets more exercise than before when living in a small apartment. He's a great tempered pup and just loves to be around people and other dogs.

So- to answer my initial question when I started this thread, raising a dog in an apartment is not so bad. Yes it wasn't easy, but if I had to do it again I would.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #28
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
I hate you for making me see Blake's name and thinking he was back
      12-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #29
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

i've done that once, against my will. it was a bitch, would not try again.

but it depends on the dog, apartment, etc
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #30
coh4777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
What an old thread.. Just thought I'd update on what happened with the whole pup situation. We decided that we were 100% sure we wanted to raise a pup. Brought home the 6 week old Golden From the breeder, we spent months looking for one at the shelter and I even contact the Golden Retriever rescue but no avail.

The past year living in a 1 bedroom apartment with our new puppy was quite the challenge but nonetheless great. There were two parks nearby and many parks to take him to. Always took him out for walks rain or shine (and in washington, its mostly rain). We also took him to doggie daycare on long work days and when the weather was too much.

Since then, we've moved into a home with a huge yard and I can't say he gets more exercise than before when living in a small apartment. He's a great tempered pup and just loves to be around people and other dogs.

So- to answer my initial question when I started this thread, raising a dog in an apartment is not so bad. Yes it wasn't easy, but if I had to do it again I would.

Glad it worked out for you and please post a pic of the dog! I think just about any dog can be raised in an apartment as long as owners like you understand the responsibility and the sacrifices (mostly in time, sometimes in money as well) that are necessary to make it work. It's all worth it in the end!

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #31
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Here's Leo when he was about 7 weeks old

He was so tiny! Napping on his mom's foot.

After the park in the back of my e90 @5 months. I had to clean the seats about twice a week.

Here he is during the past spring @ 8 months

He loves sticks
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #32
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Beautiful pup man.
I also got one (small terrier though) and he is a big handful.
Owning a dog is so rewarding though.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #33
shazzy04
Lieutenant Colonel
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '15 F22 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar
Smaller dogs who do not need a lot of room or outdoor activities will do fine. Don't forget the regular 2-3 walks of 20-30 minutes each daily so the pooch can get her proper exercise.

And please adopt one ...Don't buy.
Please adopt.

Mods coming soon
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #34
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335i

I cant stand having hair everywhere. I hate goin to someones place where they keep a big dog inside that sheads like crazy. Thats just my opinion everyone is different
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #35
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehwnnc View Post
I cant stand having hair everywhere. I hate goin to someones place where they keep a big dog inside that sheads like crazy. Thats just my opinion everyone is different
Some people just don't seem to know how to operate a vacuum, it's not the dog's fault. We have a long haired cat and a beagle and if they weren't home, I bet most folks wouldn't even think we had animals.

We live in a townhome and have no yard and it works fine with our dog, you just have to make sure you commit to long daily walks and make sure they get plenty of play.
Appreciate 0