BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-21-2012, 11:01 PM   #45
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholloway View Post
Anyone who would rather have an M3 than a 911 is an uneducated fool and thats a fact. The 911 is one of the best if not the best sportscar ever build. The M3 is a heavy, modified 3 series designed for middle aged business men to haul their kids and fat wife around in. If you think the M3 is better than you're a poor ass peasant and probably a shitty driver. Man up and get a Porsche... You're welcome M3 forums.
Sounds like somebody got himself a new nick
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #46
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Anyone who would rather have an M3 than a 911 is an uneducated fool and thats a fact. The 911 is one of the best if not the best sportscar ever build. The M3 is a heavy, modified 3 series designed for middle aged business men to haul their kids and fat wife around in. If you think the M3 is better than you're a poor ass peasant and probably a shitty driver. Man up and get a Porsche... You're welcome M3 forums.
You do realize that one is (well, at least it used to be) a sportscar and one is a GT car do you not? Thus direct comparisons of weight & size are out the window. Having said that, I've owned a 997S and will tell you right now that it was IN NO WAY better than an E92M3. Steering, balance, brakes, performance, power delivery, feel, etc... nothing the 997S does better than the M3. Oooops, sorry....the 997S gets better gas mileage. I'll trade the sound of the high revving V8 for the inferior gas mileage.

Carrera and Carerra (S) 911's are nothing special. Been there, done that. GT versioned 911's......whole different ballgame.

Oh yeah, I live in a trailer and am on food stamps and can't drive for sh!t. Oh well, at least Obama loves me.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #47
weaksauce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 M3 6MT AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
Again, I meant to use the word cede, not concede. They are synonyms.
So you are wrong...I didnt mean to use concede, but had originally meant to type "you so cede...". Not "you concede". There is a difference in words not in meaning.
One more time, typing on a phone doesnt always yield proper grammar as I tend to like to keep grammar at least somewhat decent when typing on a forum that tends not to care much.

Hmmm....I don't think "cede" means what you think it means. It definitely is not the same as "concede"

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #48
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

Quote:

LOL!! like your sarcasm!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #49
alms211
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
LOL!! like your sarcasm!
Look at his other posts......it isn't sarcasm
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #50
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholloway
I hate to break it to you, but even if you had a 911, you'd still have that same fat wife..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #51
attila
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211 View Post
Look at his other posts......it isn't sarcasm
Well, if it is not sarcasm, then there is no point wasting any time to respond.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #52
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
You do realize that one is (well, at least it used to be) a sportscar and one is a GT car do you not? Thus direct comparisons of weight & size are out the window. Having said that, I've owned a 997S and will tell you right now that it was IN NO WAY better than an E92M3. Steering, balance, brakes, performance, power delivery, feel, etc... nothing the 997S does better than the M3. Oooops, sorry....the 997S gets better gas mileage. I'll trade the sound of the high revving V8 for the inferior gas mileage.

Carrera and Carerra (S) 911's are nothing special. Been there, done that. GT versioned 911's......whole different ballgame.

Oh yeah, I live in a trailer and am on food stamps and can't drive for sh!t. Oh well, at least Obama loves me.

Are you really trying to say the M3 has better brakes and steering feel than a 997? Completely false and you know it. Not a single person whos ever driven or owned them would agree on either of those let alone the rest.
And performance on a 997.1 vs M3 is a driver's race, with a 997.2S the S is much faster on and off the track.

Maybe one of the most hyperbolic statements ever made...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #53
alms211
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Are you really trying to say the M3 has better brakes and steering feel than a 997? Completely false and you know it. Not a single person whos ever driven or owned them would agree on either of those let alone the rest.
And performance on a 997.1 vs M3 is a driver's race, with a 997.2S the S is much faster on and off the track.

Maybe one of the most hyperbolic statements ever made...
No Greg...for everyday driving and street use, the Porsche brakes are no better than the M3. For the track, yes.....the 997's brakes last longer before fade. From a stopping power/effective standpoint...there is no difference for street driving. Steering? to me, I really feel the dartiness and light front end in the 997. At speed, the car feels very floaty to me. Perhaps some like that dartiness and feel better. I don't. I will say that you can feel more of the road in the 997S than the M3 but I prefer the bit heavier steering in the M3. My 997S had a slight bit of "slop" in the steering than either E92M3 that I have owned (perhaps an anomaly; its the only 997 I've driven). If your idea of feeling more of the road and you like the dartiness then yes, I will concede that the 997 steering will be more to your liking than the heavier feel of the M3.

Please pay attention.....where did I EVER mention which one was faster?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #54
attila
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No Greg...for everyday driving and street use, the Porsche brakes are no better than the M3. For the track, yes.....the 997's brakes last longer before fade. From a stopping power/effective standpoint...there is no difference for street driving. Steering? to me, I really feel the dartiness and light front end in the 997. At speed, the car feels very floaty to me. Perhaps some like that dartiness and feel better. I don't. I will say that you can feel more of the road in the 997S than the M3 but I prefer the bit heavier steering in the M3. My 997S had a slight bit of "slop" in the steering than either E92M3 that I have owned (perhaps an anomally; its the only 997 I've driven). If your idea of feeling more of the road and you like the dartiness then yes, I will concede that the 997 steering will be more to your liking than the heavier feel of the M3.

It is very true that the 997.2 C2S (cannot speak of earlier gen.) has a floaty steering feel above 80-90mph. It is better in the GT3RS. If you add cannards it improves even more. The new 991 C2S seems better in that sense. I had only a testdrive and did not drive the old 997.2 at the same time but the front end felt more planted. On the other hand the steering did not feel as communicative as my RS. I actually liked that since for DD I need a more GTish car. Would like to replace the M3 with the C4S just because it would be something different, something new, on the other hand I am not convinced that the new C4S is better than my current M3 for DD (with kids etc) May just hold out for the new turbo. I really cannot make up my mind. I even thought about the Panamera for DD.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #55
alms211
Banned
Rep

Quote:
It is very true that the 997.2 C2S (cannot speak of earlier gen.) has a floaty steering feel above 80-90mph. It is better in the GT3RS. If you add cannards it improves even more. The new 991 C2S seems better in that sense. I had only a testdrive and did not drive the old 997.2 at the same time but the front end felt more planted. On the other hand the steering did not feel as communicative as my RS. I actually liked that since for DD I need a more GTish car. Would like to replace the M3 with the C4S just because it would be something different, something new, on the other hand I am not convinced that the new C4S is better than my current M3 for DD (with kids etc) May just hold out for the new turbo. I really cannot make up my mind. I even thought about the Panamera for DD.
The RS is like a scalpel. Sweet machine for sure. With kids and an RS already in the stable, I would either keep the M3 or opt for the Panny. I love the front end, interior and performance of the PannyS but still not sold on the car as whole (profile doesn't do it for me... purely subjective). I would probably look at the M5, but that's just me.

Sounds like you can't go wrong with your upcoming decision. Nice "problem" to have. I just could not make any of my 911's work from a DD standpoint for a number of reasons. Unfortunately, I was not in a position to hold on to the 997TT as purely a weekend car.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #56
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
No Greg...for everyday driving and street use, the Porsche brakes are no better than the M3. For the track, yes.....the 997's brakes last longer before fade. From a stopping power/effective standpoint...there is no difference for street driving. Steering? to me, I really feel the dartiness and light front end in the 997. At speed, the car feels very floaty to me. Perhaps some like that dartiness and feel better. I don't. I will say that you can feel more of the road in the 997S than the M3 but I prefer the bit heavier steering in the M3. My 997S had a slight bit of "slop" in the steering than either E92M3 that I have owned (perhaps an anomaly; its the only 997 I've driven). If your idea of feeling more of the road and you like the dartiness then yes, I will concede that the 997 steering will be more to your liking than the heavier feel of the M3.

I can agree with you when you talk street driving...anything in any performance car is more than anyone will ever need, however, you spoke more in absolute terms. Had you said the only caveat was street driving I wouldnt have thought twice about it. On the track is certainly a different story.
As far as faster, when you say performance I think being faster falls into that category...
I like being able to feel the road. I like that the steering is precise to the point that if I ran over a penny in my previous Porsches, or the 997S' Ive driven (and even more so in GTx's) I could tell you exactly what part of Lincoln's head I just ran over. Porsche's have undeniably (and virtually unanimously) the best steering in the car industry...and would include Lotus in that category as well. I think the M3s steering is very good, but have never liked the overboosted and articifial feel you get especially at lower speeds. Other than that, its good, and accurate but wouldnt say it has 911/Cayman/Boxster levels of tactile feel/weighting, precision or accuracy.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #57
alms211
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I can agree with you when you talk street driving...anything in any performance car is more than anyone will ever need, however, you spoke more in absolute terms. Had you said the only caveat was street driving I wouldnt have thought twice about it. On the track is certainly a different story.
As far as faster, when you say performance I think being faster falls into that category...
I like being able to feel the road. I like that the steering is precise to the point that if I ran over a penny in my previous Porsches, or the 997S' Ive driven (and even more so in GTx's) I could tell you exactly what part of Lincoln's head I just ran over. Porsche's have undeniably (and virtually unanimously) the best steering in the car industry...and would include Lotus in that category as well. I think the M3s steering is very good, but have never liked the overboosted and articifial feel you get especially at lower speeds. Other than that, its good, and accurate but wouldnt say it has 911/Cayman/Boxster levels of tactile feel/weighting, precision or accuracy.
I can appreciate that. Different strokes for different folks. I'm sure you are not alone in what you like.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #58
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
I hate to break it to you, but even if you had a 911, you'd still have that same fat wife..
Haha
Past - '84 Ferrari 308 GTSI | '88 Ferrari 328 GTS | '05 Dodge Viper Copperhead Edition #180/300 | Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #59
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

I will definitely have a 911 Turbo in my garage one day. The reason why the M3 came first:
- $
- Sound. No contest IMO
- Revving to 8400 RPM.
- Ease of maintenance on FR vs RR engine. Think about changing the spark plugs between the 2 engines...
- Maintenance cost.
- I don't trust DI

IMHO, it's just not practical to work on a 911, especially if you don't have a lift. As I said, I'm only interested in the Turbos, so that's even less room. Saw that you have to take the rear bumper and spoiler along with other things to just change the air filter on a 991 CS. I don't have the patience for that kind of shenanigans

The S65 has won the 4 liter category in the Engine of the Year award every single year since it has been out. Especially considering the prices of used E9x M3's, I'd consider it a bargain!!

So my list goes: E30 + E92 M3 --> Add some type of diesel car --> Add 997.1 Turbo 6MT in distant future when I can reasonably afford maintaining that car and when I have a lift. And they lived happily ever after.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #60
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

shift@red is back? LOL
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 06:54 PM   #61
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10

I just traded in my 997.2 carrera s for a 2010 gt3 and still have my m3. I can agree with most of the points made by brosef an alms. The s65 engine is truly one of a kind and if Porsche does make a better double clutch transmission, It's certainly not in the 997 models. The 991 may come close, but still not as responsive and quick as the m3'a dct. There are however a few things that lured me away from bmw to Porsche. Mainly the overall sporty, small, light feel of Pcars. I also really despised the seats in the m3, I could not get it to sit as low as I wanted. I always felt I was sitting on a thrown in the m3 and that really bothered me. If the e92 weighed about 200-300 pounds lighter and had proper seats it would be the perfect car, price aside, almost nothing would touch it. IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #62
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
I tried to keep this an engine comparison and away from the 991 but did anyone see this? It is Porsche specific at least. New 991 OMG!
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 07:28 PM   #63
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
I tried to keep this an engine comparison and away from the 991 but did anyone see this? It is Porsche specific at least. New 991 OMG!
Amazing. I can't wait for the 991 gt3.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 07:35 PM   #64
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My Porsche dealer gave me base panamera as a loaner and I was blown away by the steering and handling. It felt so planted and razor sharp. I am considering leasing one in the future. Great car!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #65
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
Amazing. Car is an absolute scalpel (still) and anyone who doesnt think so clearly hasnt driven one (or for very long). It IS 9.5/10 as sharp as a GT3 (which makes it pretty much sharper than anything but a GTx model Porsche) and in a straight just as fast, however, you can cleary see on the track the GT3 still has its number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
Amazing. I can't wait for the 991 gt3.
Agreed. how high the benchmark is in the 991, the GT3 should be something else, and then some. Cant wait to see PDK in this car too.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #66
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Man, for the last two weeks I've been really contemplating getting the 991.
I've never been big on Porsche but the new 911 S is tempting to me as well. The sticker price of around $126K for a modestly optioned car is a bit daunting though.
Appreciate 0