BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

03-16-2010, 06:03 AM   #1
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Stock Charge Pipe vs Envy Charge Pipe

This thread outlines the results of testing performed comparing the stock OEM charge pipe with the Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe.

Base Configuration of the Car
  • M3 DCT Sedan
  • Powerchip ECU Tune
  • BMC Air Filter
  • AA Crank Pulley
  • AFE Air Scoops

Measurement Tools
  • Bavarian Technic Diagnostic Scan Tool
  • iPhone 3GS Dynolicious Log Box. Accelerometer was calibrated at commencement of testing and sample rate set to 100Hz (100 samples per second)

Testing Methodology
  • Envy Charge Pipe configuration was tested first. Stock Charge Pipe was then installed and tested.
  • Three runs were performed with each configuration.
  • The best run from each configuration was used as the input data for the results presented.
  • Environmental factors were measured using Bavarian Tech tool.
  • Relative Humidity was measured using a separate measurement tool.
  • All runs performed in third gear on straight, level road.

Results

Stock vs Envy Power and Torque
The results below are based upon ECU "Actual Torque" Actual Value. Note that SAE J1349 correction was applied to the results.

Stock vs Envy ECU Acceleration
The results below are based upon the ECU "Vehicle acceleration - sensor" Actual Value. Note that I am unsure of the scaling of the raw value, hence I have just presented the raw values obtained from the scan tool.

Stock vs Envy Accelerometer Data
The results below are based upon the acceleration data captured from iPhone 3GS Dynolicious LogBox tool.

Stock vs Envy Air Fuel Ratio (Bank 1 and Bank 2)
The results below are based upon the ECU "Lambda pre-catalytic converter" Actual Values.

Bank 1

Bank 2

Stock vs Envy Intake Air Temperature
The results below are based upon the ECU "Intake Air Temperature" Actual Value. To avoid heat soak skewing the results, all runs were performed immediately after a free run of a couple of minutes.

Stock vs Envy Mass Air Flow
The results below are based upon the ECU "Air mass flow rate bank 1 and bank 2" Actual Value.

Conclusions
  • Based upon both the ECU and Accelerometer acceleration data, the stock charge pipe provided better acceleration at high RPMs. This has also been felt in the butt dyno. Some of the other data would suggest otherwise and that both charge pipes are identical in performance, however I would give most weight to the acceleration data as each set of results were derived from sensor-based values (rather than calculated values)
  • Another important point related to the accelerometer data is that between t=1s and t=9s, average acceleration for Envy charge pipe was 0.342g and for Stock charge pipe was 0.359g. Peak acceleration for Envy was 0.3924g and peak for Stock was 0.4236g.
  • Intake air temperatures were lower at higher RPMs with the stock charge pipe. It should be noted that the trends seen in the graph were the same across all three runs on each charge pipe (i.e. stock charge pipe always had lower IATs).
  • Accorcing to ECU data, there was no major difference in power output between the charge pipes. The Envy charge pipe recorded slightly better torque between 3500-5000 RPM. Note that the "actual torque" data has been proven to be "calculated" by the ECU, rather than based upon an actual sensor output directly measuring torque.
  • Air Fuel Ratios were consistent across both charge pipes
  • Mass Air Flow as recorded by the ECU was essentially the same for both charge pipes. Given this engine uses speed/density, the mass air flow is most likely a calculated value rather than an actual value captured from a MAF sensor. The similar results are somewhat surprising give the clear variation in intake air temperatures between the two charge pipes.
  • Another physical observation - holding the Envy charge pipe you could see small pinholes of light coming through the carbon fiber. Although the charge pipe seemed to be watertight, I would be concerned over time of the durability of the charge pipe.

OVERALL A WIN TO THE STOCK CHARGE PIPE.

The car does feel a bit stronger up top at the moment with the stock charge pipe and I won't be going back to the Envy Charge Pipe. One thing that is clearly apparent is that intake air temps with the stock charge pipe are better - cooler IATs = more torque and less likelihood of knock.

I may consider the Dinan charge pipe at some stage but I think the BMW intake system as is, is pretty near perfect (except for the filter).

Last edited by mixja; 03-16-2010 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 06:23 AM   #2
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Earthquake just woke me up. And wow interesting results.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 06:23 AM   #3
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

Well how about that.. Nice report.
I sold mine to get something more substantial (FI) It was too close to call for the butt dyno
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 07:42 AM   #4
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

GREAT INFO. I've been saying that for a long time. ENVY = WASTE OF $$$
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

So basically everyone who's bought this pipe has spent $650+ for an engine cosmetic mod? Doesn't that suck!
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #6
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
So basically everyone who's bought this pipe has spent $650+ for an engine cosmetic mod? Doesn't that suck!
This my fellow forum member, Nursultan Tuleiakbay. He is pain in my assholes. I get a window from a glass, he must get a window from a glass. I get a step, he must get a step. I get a Envy Charge Pipe with no HP gain, he cannot afford. Great success!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 09:36 AM   #7
major_kusanagi
SWARM & COIN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 AW/FR/CF E92 M3

Very useful info. Well, I guess I won't have to worry about the plaque anymore.

Just have a neutral/methodological question for everyone. How accurate are the measurement tools OP used as opposed to actual dyno numbers?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob MG View Post
This my fellow forum member, Nursultan Tuleiakbay. He is pain in my assholes. I get a window from a glass, he must get a window from a glass. I get a step, he must get a step. I get a Envy Charge Pipe with no HP gain, he cannot afford. Great success!
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

tecnocraft
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #10
xchosun1x
Track Duty
United_States
Rep
Drives: Track build 08 E92 M3 DCT

interesting results...

it might just be in my head..but I really felt power gain and especially response from my charge pipe...

wonder what the deal is...

i also have a hi flow drop in and scoops.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #11
riyatch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

glad i didn't buy this. surprised soooo many people feel for this crap after a few people swore by them.

thanks OP for the useful info
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #12
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by riyatch View Post
glad i didn't buy this. surprised soooo many people feel for this crap after a few people swore by them.

yeah i knew it was bullshit from the first thread about it....the stock system can not be beat!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #13
xchosun1x
Track Duty
United_States
Rep
Drives: Track build 08 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:

i see ur point...but i got mine at a super duper bargain...so I dont feel too bad about myself haha
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #14
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List
Robert??
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 02:52 PM   #15
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob MG View Post
Borat FTW!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 02:52 PM   #16
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Haha, this is what I have been saying all along. Fitment issues, no power gain. At least VTEC stickers don't the rub the paint off under the hood or cause potential intake leaks.

According to that IAT chart, the "Charge Pipe" takes in hotter air than the stock pipe (most likely due to its thinner CF construction and proximity to the hot engine).

Last edited by smmmurf; 03-16-2010 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 02:54 PM   #17
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Most stuff sold on this site is like that...crap! I mean, $650+ and not a single member ever asked for a dyno sheet!!?? That kills me.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #18
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchosun1x View Post
interesting results...

it might just be in my head..but I really felt power gain and especially response from my charge pipe...

wonder what the deal is...

i also have a hi flow drop in and scoops.
Just realised I forgot to list I also had AFE air scoops in for all tests...

A key point for me is the intake air temps - suggests the Envy charge pipe is more prone to heat soak or has lesser insulatory properties than the factory charge pipe.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #19
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep

If I bought anything like this, I would be on the phone with Technocraft right now for a refund for false advertising and fitment issues (leaks, rubbing). The dyno video has never been replicated by any independent test. There was even one where Ed Lin lost power with the full system.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #20
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
If I bought anything like this, I would be on the phone with Technocraft right now for a refund for false advertising and fitment issues (leaks, rubbing). The dyno video has never been replicated by any independent test. There was even one where Ed Lin lost power with the full system.
what independent dyno(s)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #21
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxe92xx View Post
what independent dyno(s)
Umm, any of them. This one and the one Ed Lin did are good examples.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #22
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
Umm, any of them. This one and the one Ed Lin did are good examples.
my point was people who bought this pipe assumed it was giving them better air flow and power....there arent many dynos and the people who have dynoed have all found negative effects...
Appreciate 0