BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-02-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
Capt Awesome
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Msport

Trying to be a new M3 owner...

First time poster, short time lurker. I'm doing my research and think I found a good one. However, the Carfax and Autocheck seems to be a little odd due to the only records of it being from the sale at auction and current title registration in IL. Shouldn't there be an initial purchase record?

Can anyone give me some advice or opinions about this? Here's some background info on the car:

2009 e90 LeMans Blue DCT
9,600 miles
Options:
Cold Weather, Premium, Technology package, Nav
19" wheels
Moonroof, BMW Assist, Rear park distance, etc...
Original MSRP was $72,150

Asking $52,800

Do you guys think this is a good deal?

Also, is the Carfax report. Does anything look odd here, or could this be somewhat normal to only have so few records for a car with so few miles? Autocheck only shows 2 of the 4 records that are on Carfax.
http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...PM93519E201123

Any help is appreciated. I'm going to test drive the car later this week and if it's all good, I'll get my mechanic to give it a once-over before I buy. Hope to find an M3 soon and then be much more active on these boards
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
Trevor .:R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 ZCP DCT

Garage List
11 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Awesome View Post
First time poster, short time lurker. I'm doing my research and think I found a good one. However, the Carfax and Autocheck seems to be a little odd due to the only records of it being from the sale at auction and current title registration in IL. Shouldn't there be an initial purchase record?

Can anyone give me some advice or opinions about this? Here's some background info on the car:

2009 e90 LeMans Blue DCT
9,600 miles
Options:
Cold Weather, Premium, Technology package, Nav
19" wheels
Moonroof, BMW Assist, Rear park distance, etc...
Original MSRP was $72,150

Asking $52,800

Do you guys think this is a good deal?

Also, is the Carfax report. Does anything look odd here, or could this be somewhat normal to only have so few records for a car with so few miles? Autocheck only shows 2 of the 4 records that are on Carfax.
http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...PM93519E201123

Any help is appreciated. I'm going to test drive the car later this week and if it's all good, I'll get my mechanic to give it a once-over before I buy. Hope to find an M3 soon and then be much more active on these boards

I really do not like DCT ... many problems with it downshifting is so much simpler with the 6MT. I was also told DCT has its problems...
      10-02-2011, 11:03 PM   #3
h4nh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [10.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
-1 for moonroof if the carbon roof was for free. lol I never use it anyways.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 11:03 PM   #4
SoTempted
Captain
Rep
Drives: Incompetently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor .:R View Post
I really do not like DCT ... many problems with it downshifting is so much simpler with the 6MT. I was also told DCT has its problems...
^^Ugh. DCT is awesome, 6MT is awesome, I'm sure OP will be able to figure out if he likes the DCT after his test drive. If you like it and your mechanic gives it a thumbs up, ask about your concerns on the CARFAX, and if all checks good buy it and live happily ever after.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #5
Capt Awesome
Private First Class
Rep

Well, DCT is definitely in my future because the wife can't drive manual and I need wife-approval to buy the car.

Any constructive input, not on the current configuration, but more of the price for the car as-is or it's background?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
-1 for moonroof if the carbon roof was for free. lol I never use it anyways.
It's an e90. No carbon roof anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #7
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

To OP, price looks ok for such a low mileage car. Look on the for sale forum here to do price comparisons, but your car looks competitively priced.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 07:34 AM   #8
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Your car looks well priced considering the miles. I know a guy who paid $52k for a 2009 with 23000 miles so this seems like a very good deal. The color and the options list is impressive too. DCT is awesome-don't second guess it.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
Capt Awesome
Private First Class
Rep

From what I'm seeing and your input, the pricing seems to be in line with what the norm is. We'll just forget about the whole DCT/Manual debate...

However, the Carfax still seems fishy to me because there's no records before it was resold at the auto auction. I don't have much experience at all buying preowned. Does it raise any red flags that wouldn't be able to be caught by an inspection?

I always have the remainder of the factory warranty though, so that's a comfort.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
Nelrock
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Awesome View Post
From what I'm seeing and your input, the pricing seems to be in line with what the norm is. We'll just forget about the whole DCT/Manual debate...

However, the Carfax still seems fishy to me because there's no records before it was resold at the auto auction. I don't have much experience at all buying preowned. Does it raise any red flags that wouldn't be able to be caught by an inspection?

I always have the remainder of the factory warranty though, so that's a comfort.
Doesn't seem all that fishy. The note says "Listed as a manufacturer vehicle
Sold at auction".
"Manufacturer Vehicle — Manufacturer vehicles are vehicles put up for sale by the manufacturer. These vehicles are typically only available to dealers at special auctions. These vehicles have generally been registered as lease or rental vehicles."

2011 E92 M3 | Melbourne Red | Black Novillo w/Carbon Leather Trim | M-DCT | Competition Package | Premium Package 2 | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | Heated Front Seats
2004 E46 M3 | Silver Grey | - Retired
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #11
skated23
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Competition Editio

To Op,

Like Nelrock says, it could be a lease return. One thing you could try is asking the local BMW dealer to do an inspection and then ask them how much to CPO it, if at all. That might give you a sense of the car's inner workings. For a car with that low mileage, it shouldnt require much to CPO it, if all is well.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #12
jmarino21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive

OP,

I looked into this car recently myself. And others similar to it in your area. Be careful of the following:

Luxury Auto Xchange is a subsidiary of Perillo BMW. Search around this forum and you'll see they have a generally bad reputation. Selling refurbished track cars and lemon law buybacks, other complaints. They were straight up with me but I think they could tell I wasn't stupid about what I was looking at.

The fact that the Carfax doesn't have any owners listed means that the car was previously owned by BMW. And not in the dealer loaner/demo sense. Those cars have to be titled. The car you're looking at was probably auctioned by BMW after being used at their performance center - a track car.

Make sure you get all the info you can about maintenance history. I know for a fact that Perillo has two used 09 M3's at their main facility on the north side that are both former performance center cars. One of their SA's there told me this straight up. Their Carfax reports look just like the one you posted above.

100% track use may or may not be the end of the world - I'll let others who are more knowledgeable about that chime in if they want. I personally would not buy that car, though, unless it was heavily discounted.

-JM
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #13
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
DCT is amazing - many haters and uniformed folks will say differently, but I love DCT... and I have a 6MT. I'm too old school to buy a car with DCT myself, but the one I test drove was amazing.

But let's focus on the price and not turn this into a DCT vs. 6MT thread... we already have one of those I believe.
This, the DCT was a big step for me too. Having it for over 2 years now (I can't believe its been that long already ) it still impresses me with the things it does.

Seems like a good car and price. The only thing that would hold me back would be the moon roof, I love the look of the carbon fiber roof and with it being factory it usually shocks a lot of people. Nonetheless good luck with the purchase if it all checks out. Your going to love it

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #14
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

if it's too good to be true..

If that is indeed a BMW PCD car, stay away at that price
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #15
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Price seams TOO high to me for a 2009 with that milage. I would stay clear. You can pick up a fairly new 2011 with MT for close to 60K have a good look around don't rush into anything ... besides this car is a PCT car just close your eyes and envision how this car has been abused .... stay clear .... way clear .... my 2 cents

I picked up my 2011 with just bellow 4,000 Miles ... for $56K carbon fibber roof roof, winter package, sound package sports package, 19 inch wheels, convenience entry etc. no iDrive or Navi who needs it my TomTom serves me well.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 06-12-2012 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #16
Capt Awesome
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarino21 View Post
OP,

I looked into this car recently myself. And others similar to it in your area. Be careful of the following:

Luxury Auto Xchange is a subsidiary of Perillo BMW. Search around this forum and you'll see they have a generally bad reputation. Selling refurbished track cars and lemon law buybacks, other complaints. They were straight up with me but I think they could tell I wasn't stupid about what I was looking at.

The fact that the Carfax doesn't have any owners listed means that the car was previously owned by BMW. And not in the dealer loaner/demo sense. Those cars have to be titled. The car you're looking at was probably auctioned by BMW after being used at their performance center - a track car.

Make sure you get all the info you can about maintenance history. I know for a fact that Perillo has two used 09 M3's at their main facility on the north side that are both former performance center cars. One of their SA's there told me this straight up. Their Carfax reports look just like the one you posted above.

100% track use may or may not be the end of the world - I'll let others who are more knowledgeable about that chime in if they want. I personally would not buy that car, though, unless it was heavily discounted.

-JM
Wow, I didn't even know they sold Performance Center cars. That really explains a lot about the Carfax and the low miles... and why the 2 at Perillo and this one are so similar in configuration.

If everything were to check out fine at an inspection, do you guys think there would be a sweet spot in price for this? It seems like the current price would be pretty good to average if it weren't a PC car. How much of a discount do you guys think this warrants?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #17
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
I've driven a PCD car at the 1 day M school
And I wouldnt touch that car with a sixty foot pole
      10-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #18
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
I've driven a PCD car at the 1 day M school
And I wouldnt touch that car with a sixty foot pole
kmarei ... I can see you holding a 6 foot pole quite well a 60 foot one I bet you cannot get the other end up just saying .... nevertheless you are so right +1000

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #19
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

I agree that the price doesnt seem too low to me. I looked at a lot of cars, and i suppose if you are looking for one with those types of options, the price seems reasonable.

I got my car which is an AW 09 e90 (only had powered seats, cold pack, and 19s) which had 17k miles for just over 43k.

So to me, if this car is spec'd the way you want it, talk em down to 49-50k and go for it!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #20
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
kmarei ... I can see you holding a 6 foot pole quite well
I do that all the time
      10-03-2011, 09:00 PM   #21
GOT M?
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Everything

To expensive for a PCD Car. OP...I would first ask to get it CPO, and would not pay over 50k after it has been CPO'd. It seems they have 2 of them...so they should be able to give you a better deal to move one of them.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #22
kiwistu
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: Black F82 M3

My 5c

A local mechanic (no matter how good) unforc can't tell you what the main dealer can, here in NZ they just take your key and read it, and up pops the whole history.

So pay for a main dealer to inspect it, then maybe, personally it makes no difference if its been a track day car (at least its been looked after, verses rung out when cold by a private person - who can say?)

That said I'd only buy from a main dealer with bmw warranty. Everything you touch in an M3 shouldn't be tampered with (except wheels, exhausts and exterior bits) especially not electronics etc....as I said to a friend.."I am sure they can fly Wolfgang in from germany to get your car going again"....

Cheers
stu
Appreciate 0