BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

05-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

E92 M3 vs Corvette GS

Enough about performance, what if you are single low 20s no kids and you want a great driving v8 equipped car. You narrow your choices to the e92 and the c6 grand sport. This will be a daily driver and only car.

What would you pick?
      05-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
ChinoOrtega
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

I'm 30 no kids no nothing, I would go for the m3, I had my first e36 m3 at 16, then the e46 m3 at 21, and now I got the e92 m3 at 27, you would not regret it, it's got style, performance and luxury, it's a beautiful car
      05-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

M3.

Lots of luxury, nicer interior, easier to live with day to day, more power and performance than practical on public streets, more rare and, if it matters to you, more prestige... if that matters.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 GT-R

C6 Grand Sport without question.

As much as I love BMW's (I've had seven)...the M3 looks just like any other 3 series to most (including me). The GS Vette stands out, the exterior apperance blows the M3 out of the water, it is actually a more reliable car, better gas mileage, more cargo area, faster in a straight line or on a track. You trade off the better interior in the M3....although I don't find it all that great. It just contains better pieces of plastic than the Vette. Be honest with yourself, are you really going to use the backseats? If so, then go M3.

You would be surprised how good the Vette is from a DD standpoint. Much better than any Porsche.....still not as good as the M3 though.

Having said what I just said, I forgot you mentiioned that you are in your low 20's --- most in your shoes would probably go M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep

I've looked at corvettes before, prior to my E46 M3, so im not a total stranger to it. Its a stunning car to drive no doubt. But there is only so much you can do on a test drive.

On paper the GS sounds really good. I especially like the z06 brakes, wider rubber, dry sump, z06 aero and brake cooling. And there are always good deals to be had on them, to the point where it'll be ~10K cheaper than an e92. I would get it in the new orange.

But should i pass up the chance to grab what will likely be the last n/a m3? I loved my E46 M3, the high revving engine, the looks, the suspension, the build quality, and if the e92 is anything like it i know i won't have any regrets. But i don't need 4 seats and im a little annoyed by the gas mileage and the ggt.
      05-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love View Post
I've looked at corvettes before, prior to my E46 M3, so im not a total stranger to it. Its a stunning car to drive no doubt. But there is only so much you can do on a test drive.

On paper the GS sounds really good. I especially like the z06 brakes, wider rubber, dry sump, z06 aero and brake cooling. And there are always good deals to be had on them, to the point where it'll be ~10K cheaper than an e92. I would get it in the new orange.

But should i pass up the chance to grab what will likely be the last n/a m3? I loved my E46 M3, the high revving engine, the looks, the suspension, the build quality, and if the e92 is anything like it i know i won't have any regrets. But i don't need 4 seats and im a little annoyed by the gas mileage and the ggt.
...good on you for thinking through it. Take your time, man. Drive them both a couple different times. Hell, take them on your daily commute to work and see how you like it. You will have everything in the E92 that you had in your E46M3 expect for the exterior styling IMO.....and the shitty gas mileage.

At the end of the day, whatever choice you make will be a winner. I will be in the same exact boat in December...I'm pondering the M3, Grand Sport and the GT-R....even perhaps a used CLK63 AMG Black Series. Out of all of those, I prefer the exterior looks of the Vette GS the best.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 07:51 AM   #7
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

I have a hard time just remembering my early 20's, but I've owned a bunch of cars, including a couple of E46 M3's and two ZO6 Vettes (C5 and C6). From your post, I assume track duty is not a factor. I cannot opt in favor of the Vette as an only car. It has a lot going for it, but a good sports sedan is hard to beat, and they don't come much better than an M3. I'm selling a GT3 to get another M3, so yes, I like them very much.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms21 View Post
...Be honest with yourself, are you really going to use the backseats?
I've found that no matter how much you think you'll never need the back seat, every once in a while the need does come up. I've had two seaters in the past, and while they were great cars to drive, there were times when I really needed the back seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
I have a hard time just remembering my early 20's, but I've owned a bunch of cars, including a couple of E46 M3's and two ZO6 Vettes (C5 and C6). From your post, I assume track duty is not a factor. I cannot opt in favor of the Vette as an only car. It has a lot going for it, but a good sports sedan is hard to beat, and they don't come much better than an M3. I'm selling a GT3 to get another M3, so yes, I like them very much.
Even though the OP is young, if it's your only car then get the sedan since it will be more utilitarian than the two seater. If you have another car (assuming it has a back seat ) then test drive both the vette and M3 and get the one you like driving better.

Cheers.
      05-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #9
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

Corvettes are great cars. I owned a z06 before my m3. I'd suggest you get the vette first and then the m3 later when you have kids.

Dont let people talk to you about build quality on corvettes, especially if thy havent owned them. I tracked mine for 5 years, took care of it, and I only had one problem, which was a recall and fixed for free. If you are a real driver and enthusiast you will love the corvette. Its so much more visceral and animal than the m3. I really do miss mine! I've owned many sports cars and the vette is the only one I still think about. I'm sure I'll own another some day.

BTW I also own a e46 M3 and you really cant compare it to the new e9x m3. They are totally different in feel and execution. IMO the new m3 is as different than the old M3 as it is to the corvette!
      05-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
mfeltiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 AW E92 6mt

I drove a 2 seater in my 20's and loved the fact that I never had to take extra people with me, it was awesome "ohh sorry, I only have 2 seats" BTW, you can still fit two chicks in the front seat...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #11
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
Corvettes are great cars. I owned a z06 before my m3. I'd suggest you get the vette first and then the m3 later when you have kids.

Dont let people talk to you about build quality on corvettes, especially if thy havent owned them. I tracked mine for 5 years, took care of it, and I only had one problem, which was a recall and fixed for free. If you are a real driver and enthusiast you will love the corvette. Its so much more visceral and animal than the m3. I really do miss mine! I've owned many sports cars and the vette is the only one I still think about. I'm sure I'll own another some day.

BTW I also own a e46 M3 and you really cant compare it to the new e9x m3. They are totally different in feel and execution. IMO the new m3 is as different than the old M3 as it is to the corvette!
'preciate the input.

I've driven the vettes with the z51 before on test drives. I could tell immediately that i came nowhere close to the total capability of the car. The car felt wide and long, but other than that i liked it. But i still ended up getting my e46 because i loved to rev the engine high, i think this goes back to my honda days, and i felt more comfortable driving the car.

I think what im looking for is a more modern replacement to my e46. I want the high revs, i want that excellent turn-in, and i want the sound. If the e92 can't deliver then i may not have a choice but to get the GS.
      05-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #12
RedGT3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: .2 GT3/M3cs

Had the same decision to make, I ended with this. Not regrets

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #13
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep

Sweet ride fll335.

I'll have one (again) in 8-9 months as well.

Congrats!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #14
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Enough about performance, what if you are single low 20s no kids and you want a great driving v8 equipped car. You narrow your choices to the e92 and the c6 grand sport. This will be a daily driver and only car.

What would you pick?
when i graduated college at 22 i got a brand new 1984 black corvette with red interior. man was that nice!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #15
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GMC Sierra

I think the M3 is the best choice of it will be your only car. It is refined and comfortable when you are using it for your daily commute while still being exhilarating when you have the chance to push it. I've never owned a Vette, so I don't know how well of a commuter it makes, but not having rear seats would be a deal breaker for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #16
ChinoOrtega
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

I really like the m3, never owned anything else, I'm 30 now, and still never use the back seats, I just like the m3, it's an all around car, and going to M school twice, once with the e46 now with the e92, you really get a sense of what these cars are capable of, it's an amazing experience, I recommend it if you get the m, or if you can afford it now, go for it, it will make up your mind. Before I get old and into mid life crisis, I'm looking into P-cars, especially the carrera S, since the are both in the same price range, at least here in Guatemala, If I where you test drive both cars and go with the one that makes you smile the most.
      05-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #17
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
Dont let people talk to you about build quality on corvettes, especially if thy havent owned them. I tracked mine for 5 years, took care of it, and I only had one problem, which was a recall and fixed for free.
Don't confuse reliability with build quality. I think by build quality the post(s) above were actually more speaking to fit and finish. You have really commented on reliability above.

I also take constant exception to the notion that the only way to know something is to experience it first hand. With regards to reliability this is in fact the worst approach. Reliability by nature is statistical. There will always be lemmons and super reliable cars in a production run. The stats are what the good reports have and those are the only way to really make sound decisions based on facts (statistics). My wife happens to own one of the most unreliable Honda Accords I've ever heard of. Does that make the Accord an unreliable car? Certainly not.

Fit and finish can be judged easily by a magazine or in person with 5 minutes with a car.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #18
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
I think what im looking for is a more modern replacement to my e46. I want the high revs, i want that excellent turn-in, and i want the sound. If the e92 can't deliver then i may not have a choice but to get the GS.
Compared to the E46 M3 ...
o High revs: even higher in the E92 M3, check.
o Excellent turn-in: better in the E92 M3, check.
o Sound: the V8 exhaust note is near exotic, but not as loud. If you like that, fine, otherwise an aftermarket (even just axle-back) exhaust will make it easier to hear, so, a check this box is probably warranted too unless you like the S54 rasp.

Yes, I think I can say that the E92 M3 can deliver.

As compared to the vette, the M3 revs higher and the turn-in is probably about the same, based on reports from others. One of the magazines (C&D or R&T, can't remember) did a "drifting" contest and the M3 came in first, the vette GS second and I believe that is telling, even though it was close. Sound, well you be the judge.

Cheers.
      05-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #19
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Personally, although the Vet is a great performer, it just looks...ehhhhh cheap.

I think it lacks class, prestige and obviously quality. I would probably choose an e46 over a GS Vette any day.

The Z06 and ZR1 are a bit nicer but there is just something about a Vet that I can't put a finger on...not for me.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #20
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
Personally, although the Vet is a great performer, it just looks...ehhhhh cheap.

I think it lacks class, prestige and obviously quality. I would probably choose an e46 over a GS Vette any day.

The Z06 and ZR1 are a bit nicer but there is just something about a Vet that I can't put a finger on...not for me.

-SZ
Well, good for you. Thanks for your well thought out opinon; it added alot
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 01:01 AM   #21
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray23 View Post
your a funny guy
Is it really that funny that an M3 fan and owner does not like Vette's much?
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 01:16 AM   #22
atlpitbull
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Jet BLK E92 335

As much as I love the M3, I ended up buying an 09 Vett Z51. It was an easy choice for me. For the price you can not beat it, plus 0% financing sealed the deal. Also if you like to mod, it is way cheaper to mod a vett than an M, and if for some reason Chevy void your warranty it would not cost an arm and two legs to replace anything that needs to be fixed, try that with an M and let me know how that worked out for you . Just remember, Bubba can work on a Vett . After all said and done the vett is not my DD, so if I only had one choice it would the M, it is not the fastest but it does so many things well.

07 e92 Jet BLK 335/JB+/BMS DCI
08 FJ Cruiser BLK/TRD exhaust/TRD CAI
09 BLK C6 Z51/SLP Loudmouth II exhaust/MTI Stg 1 suspension
Appreciate 0