BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

05-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #67
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

I think this is comical to say the least. Drive what you like. Who cares.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #68
nthretourNAFTW
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 NA no turbo required

"The DCT M3 may even be the second-best car in the world after the M3 manual. " Car an Driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 12:50 PM   #69
nthretourNAFTW
Banned
Rep

Check that thread :

"DCT to 6MT: Full circle

I've just replaced my '09 e92 with DCT with an '11 e92 with 6MT.

The DCT I had was flawless and a masterpiece. What was there not to like about it?

The only thing was the lack of a gate patterned shifter knob and a clutch. After three years of perfect shifts from flappy paddle pulls, including those beautiful rev match downshifts during trail braking turns, I'm happy to be stirring the box again and training myself for that type of smoothness.

Technologically spectacular, and better in every performance relevant measure, but simply not as much fun, I'm glad the DCT is gone. "

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691942
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 01:58 PM   #70
BNBM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E92

Garage List
Who exactly are you trying to convince? People that drive a DCT generally don't like Manual. I HATE driving a manual. It's a nuisance. I get no joy out of it. You aren't convincing anyone that manual is better.
Active Autowerke Gen 2 Level 2 SC / StopTech ST60/40 BBK
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 02:32 PM   #71
nthretourNAFTW
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBM3 View Post
Who exactly are you trying to convince? People that drive a DCT generally don't like Manual. I HATE driving a manual. It's a nuisance. I get no joy out of it. You aren't convincing anyone that manual is better.
Look, you started dueling 6MT vs. dct on this thread that was initially all about 6MT enjoyment only. Now you play dumb troll. I obliged you for a while. We both had our subjective points to make but at the end I listed too many 6MT>>dct facts (not subjective) points that you couldn't counter so you went back to bitching mode. I made and won my case.

Now you can read from other people who actually switched from dct to 6MT. And also read Chris harris above and others.

I know you won't take it from me but the 6MT fun factor superiority is real. And all other factual points remain (reliability, weight, mature technology, cost of replacement, no leaks, no computer issue collaterals, no lag, etc).

Last edited by nthretourNAFTW; 05-16-2015 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 02:33 PM   #72
nthretourNAFTW
Banned
Rep

And interesting accounts by people who used to own a dct E92 and switched to a MT for their F80.
Those are excellent objective verdicts not restrained by the "current ownership bias" so predominant among dct owners. Understandingly nobody with a dct likes to come to the realization that their more expensive tranny is in the end the less desirable, less reliable one and boring.

----------------------------------------------------------------
"SOOOOOO glad I went MT this time. Except the mileage difference was not significant. What I do is a lot of city driving where the DCT lag at downshifting into 2 and then going at a stop sign used to drive me crazy. I remember waiting a second or toe for the DCT to find gear and go seemed almost dangerous. Compare that to the MT where I know what gear I am in by feel and have much quicker downshift and go at stop signs. For my DD experience it's a vast improvement. Plus rowing gears again is so satisfying. I have gained so much shifting pleasure.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...31&postcount=2

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"No regrets. Just a huge sigh of relief that I went 6spd after having 2 DCT E92's. "

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"I had a 2008 MR fully loaded M3 coupe with DCT. DCT is nice. It shifts smoothly and had an advantage of me exchanging cars with my gf when she wanted to drive mine But honestly. It was pretty boring for me coming from 10yrs + of manual ownership. It helped me not to be hesitant what trans to choose when i ordered a M4 (MT)".

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...01&postcount=8

"6spd FTW! ;-). I went with manual this time as I was really bored driving an automatic... Call it: DCT, SMG, s-tronic, PDK... They're all automatics."

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...55&postcount=9

"My past e90 m3 was DCT, never again!

During my test drive, I drove the F80 m3 DCT and it's blah, nothing bad, but I prefer a manual shifting 3-pedal car.

Will be ordering my 6-speed manual as a 2nd model year car once they work out the bugs so mine will be a 2016 model year."

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=13

"I have always had in the back of mind the nagging thought that perhaps one needs a longer experience with DCT than I have had to switch off the part of your mind that is used to pulling and pushing on a lever, and adjust your mental processes to the DCT before you can appreciate its brilliance.

Now I have had that chance. I have now driven the car extensively over many months and the verdict is in. DCT sucks. Its just an automatic. And no amount of snappy on-command shifts from electrical switches produces the control, feedback, and authority over the machine, and a close coupling of the driver with it.

There is simply no intuitive feedback from, and no intuitive control of, the driveline. And since gear selection affects car behavior in cornering so hugely, the loss of intimacy and interaction with the driveline negatively impacts the totality of the car's experience as an enthusiasts' driving tool.

Yes, I know Ferraris and Lamborghinis and bugattis and mclarens are all DCT only now, and surely the creators and buyers of those cars know a thing or two about drivers cars and the suitability of DCTs to that purpose.

So maybe its just that I am one of those unfortunate souls we hear about who couldn't reconcile themselves to progress and became irrelevant.

So be it. For me, a DCT is just a dumb automatic, and I am more determined than ever that my cars have 3 pedals. "

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by nthretourNAFTW; 05-16-2015 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 02:49 PM   #73
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

F80 has the torque to make the 6mt a good match. You can wiggle that stick and squish the pedal in any gear and it'll tugboat you along.

E92 needs revs and it needs them now, and the dct delivers
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 03:28 PM   #74
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun View Post
I'm happy that you're happy with your transmission.
How the hell is this thread still going? Again, I am so glad that you're happy with the transmission in your M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 05:09 PM   #75
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

I'm all for the 6mt too but dude relax..as long as you're happy that's all that matters. What makes the m3 awesome is that it has so many different configurations that cater to a wide variety of audience. There is no better or worse, just personal preferences. Imagine how boring it would've been if it only came in one trim only.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 06:42 AM   #76
BNBM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nthretourNAFTW View Post
Look, you started dueling 6MT vs. dct on this thread that was initially all about 6MT enjoyment only. Now you play dumb troll. I obliged you for a while. We both had our subjective points to make but at the end I listed too many 6MT>>dct facts (not subjective) points that you couldn't counter so you went back to bitching mode. I made and won my case.

Now you can read from other people who actually switched from dct to 6MT. And also read Chris harris above and others.

I know you won't take it from me but the 6MT fun factor superiority is real. And all other factual points remain (reliability, weight, mature technology, cost of replacement, no leaks, no computer issue collaterals, no lag, etc).
Man, you need help. This thread is pure comedy. I'm enjoying it. You "won your case" alright......

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 07:07 AM   #77
apollo322
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1999 M coupe, 2003.5 M3

Thanks for sharing! I also looked at both and could not warm up to the DCT like I did the manual. It's been 20+ years of manuals for me though so I'm sure I'm a bit biased . Either way these are the best four seat sports cars out there
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 11:19 AM   #78
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

OP, are you telling us you are for or against manual transmissions? I can't really tell.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2015, 12:06 PM   #79
BNBM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
OP, are you telling us you are for or against manual transmissions? I can't really tell.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 12:33 PM   #80
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
While all the arguing back and forth is humorous, I do get that folks are worried about manual trannies going away-- maybe not entirely, but as an option on higher-end performance cars in particular. It's a concern when the car you would like to purchase with a manual just isn't sold with one anymore. Now, I get it that most people don't want a manual trans in a car they use to commute in heavy traffic, but for these weekend toys like Ferrari 458s, GT3s, and the like, it seems odd--and yes-- disappointing, not to offer a manual transmission.

Some of the over-zealous pro-6MT posts may be borne out of the need to get up on a soapbox and help to "Save the Manuals"...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 06:43 PM   #81
BNBM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
While all the arguing back and forth is humorous, I do get that folks are worried about manual trannies going away-- maybe not entirely, but as an option on higher-end performance cars in particular. It's a concern when the car you would like to purchase with a manual just isn't sold with one anymore. Now, I get it that most people don't want a manual trans in a car they use to commute in heavy traffic, but for these weekend toys like Ferrari 458s, GT3s, and the like, it seems odd--and yes-- disappointing, not to offer a manual transmission.

Some of the over-zealous pro-6MT posts may be borne out of the need to get up on a soapbox and help to "Save the Manuals"...
While many are happy to give a sermon from the pulpit about how great 6MT is, the reality is that a vast majority of buyers want automatic. And it's important to note that car manufacturers are competing against each other in performance measures, and modern dual clutch transmissions are faster than manuals in every way.

I think the biggest reason they don't make manuals anymore on some cars is that not enough buyers want them to justify building cars with multiple transmission options that need to be supported, upgraded, advanced, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 07:45 PM   #82
brentl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 m3 cpe 6MT

Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderspider View Post
I wear a 13. I've never driven a car with a pedal configuration where I've needed to use my heel. I've always used the outside of my foot for the throttle and inside of my foot for the brake.
I am a size 13 and recently noticed that what I think is heel and toe-ing really is rolling my right edge of my right foot onto the gas, while the other side is on the brake.

Years ago I had a 914 and because of the pedal configuration, I think I actually used my heel.

Later I had a Datsun 280z (1975 California version (unleaded with a CAT and almost nothing else) vs. 49 state version (leaded, no cat, TONS OF HEAVY MISERABLE SMOG JUNK) as well as 2.8 liter, square port heads and Bosch L-Jetronic FI system - IMHO the best single Z year ever (I know everyone says the 1970-71 was best but I liked the added 400 CC...) regardless, that car had top mounted gas pedal and I think I rolled my right foot in it as well.

I also understand that the 6sp is slower, but I am glad I ordered mine and waited. I consider it a "semi-analog" car in a now 100 percent DIGITAL world. Think of it, N/A, free revving, natural induction and exhaust sounds, hydraulic steering a nav screen tucked under a cowl where it belongs and a SIX SPEED MANUAL. I am in love with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 07:52 PM   #83
brentl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 m3 cpe 6MT

all good points and this too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBM3 View Post
While many are happy to give a sermon from the pulpit about how great 6MT is, the reality is that a vast majority of buyers want automatic. And it's important to note that car manufacturers are competing against each other in performance measures, and modern dual clutch transmissions are faster than manuals in every way.

I think the biggest reason they don't make manuals anymore on some cars is that not enough buyers want them to justify building cars with multiple transmission options that need to be supported, upgraded, advanced, etc.
Another issue is Fuel Economy Ratings. I have read that the Autobox can squeeze out more consistent test scores on MPG test cycles than a manual. This makes sense since computers can handle most of the optimal shift and throttle points....kind of like VW diesels...

Also, even with M3's, I think the ratio in SoCal is likely 80% or more with DCTs'. I recall in July of 2011, I ordered mine as a 2012 because we looked on the national inventory database and there were only a handful of 6MT's around in odd configurations, so I ordered and waited until Dec 2011 for her to arrive. Well worth the wait.

BTW, I am not saying the 6MT is better....but for me, I prefer it. To each his own, and either way, the e92 M3 is such a great all around car!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 08:14 PM   #84
normcaldwell
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentl View Post
I am not saying the 6MT is better....but for me, I prefer it. To each his own, and either way, the e92 M3 is such a great all around car!
Agreed.
I also like the level of spring assist with the E92 clutch pedal; makes rowing the gears even more fun.
Love the suspension and engine on the E92 as well.
Appreciate 0