BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
oaks88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335

Garage List
E92 m3 transmission

Looking to get an e92 m3 and have driven both the 6spd and DCT transmission styles and I have my pros and cons of each but one thing that really worries me is the repair cost of the DCT compared to that of the 6spd any ideas of the cost differential to repair should something go wrong?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaks88 View Post
Looking to get an e92 m3 and have driven both the 6spd and DCT transmission styles and I have my pros and cons of each but one thing that really worries me is the repair cost of the DCT compared to that of the 6spd any ideas of the cost differential to repair should something go wrong?
The DCT is going to be exponentially more expensive to fix than the 6MT.

RealOEM shows a 6MT to be in the neighborhood for $4K while the DCT is almost $10k. Don't know about rehabbing them this is for replacement. I have to admit, one of the reasons I got the 6MT is because I would like to keep the car long term. If you are going into a lease for a new vehicle and do 3 and flee get whatever you want, if you plan on buying the car and keeping it..well this is where this comes into play.

However, there are quite a few people who have the DCT with some good mileage on their cars with no issues.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
NYAWE60
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Turbo 6 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post

RealOEM shows a 6MT to be in the neighborhood for $4K while the DCT is almost $10k. Don't know about rehabbing them this is for replacement. I have to admit, one of the reasons I got the 6MT is because I would like to keep the car long term. If you are going into a lease for a new vehicle and do 3 and flee get whatever you want, if you plan on buying the car and keeping it..well this is where this comes into play.

However, there are quite a few people who have the DCT with some good mileage on their cars with no issues.

Dave
I notice you went from a C2S 997 to an M3. I'm cross shopping these two cars in the used market. Which do you like better and why? Believe me your input will be VERY valuable. I'm well aware the M3 will have more brute characteristics while the 997 C2S is more of a santoku knife, a true precision tool. But again, I'd like to hear what you have to say. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
mark896
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaks88 View Post
If it's under warranty, DCT all the way. It's simply incredible and relatively maintenance free. There was a guy on here that had over 300 track hours on his DCT, got his oil analyzed, and it only showed signs of MINOR wear in it. I wouldn't own one without a warranty, but then again, I wouldn't even own an M3 without a warranty. But that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
oaks88
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYAWE60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post

Dave
I notice you went from a C2S 997 to an M3. I'm cross shopping these two cars in the used market. Which do you like better and why? Believe me your input will be VERY valuable. I'm well aware the M3 will have more brute characteristics while the 997 C2S is more of a santoku knife, a true precision tool. But again, I'd like to hear what you have to say. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
oaks88
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
This would not be a 3 and flee sort of deal I would be buying used from an enthusiast when I find the rt one and would be looking to keep it for a while and most likely would go without a warranty. Thanks for the inputs.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

do a search for "DCT" . Not many issues, other than weird things, but it could potentially strand you on the side of the road unlike a trad. manual. It (dct) is a great trans that seems (you'll see from searching) pretty prob free, but again if probs happen it will be more $$ to fix.
Appreciate 0