BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

08-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #1
cienzod
Rookie
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 E83 // Mini Cooper S vert

M3 E90 Alpine Upgrade & DAB Install

Hi Folks...

Anyone out there managed to install the Alpine OEM HiFi upgrade from the "standard" M3 BMW Professional audio system, with the DAB Tuner installed?

Just went to my dealer to get a pricing and he couldn't offer one on my car...he suspects because I've got the DAB Tuner installed...which I find hard to believe, unless the only place the Alpine amp can be located is where the DAB tuner is also located.

I can't believe that it's this hard to get a relatively simple OEM upgrade...how the hell do they install the Logic 7 system with DAB then?
      08-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cienzod View Post
Hi Folks...

Anyone out there managed to install the Alpine OEM HiFi upgrade from the "standard" M3 BMW Professional audio system, with the DAB Tuner installed?

Just went to my dealer to get a pricing and he couldn't offer one on my car...he suspects because I've got the DAB Tuner installed...which I find hard to believe, unless the only place the Alpine amp can be located is where the DAB tuner is also located.

I can't believe that it's this hard to get a relatively simple OEM upgrade...how the hell do they install the Logic 7 system with DAB then?
Any other OEM amp is installed in the left side corner of the trunk (under the place where the CD Changer is installed); the OEM Alpine amp kit is installed where your DAB tuner is located.

If you are set in getting that Alpine kit, it could be custom installed where the OEM amp is normally installed. Unless your particular dealer is willing to do custom jobs like this, I don't see them doing it as it requires extending the speaker wires a little bit and a custom bracket to secure the amp in this new location.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
cienzod
Rookie
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Technic. Looks like I'm gonna have to go with another route, suspect that my dealer would just about freak if I asked them to do anything non-oem. I'll take a look on some of the other threads here to see if anyone's managed to get close to oem without being too intrusive.
      08-10-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Technic. Looks like I'm gonna have to go with another route, suspect that my dealer would just about freak if I asked them to do anything non-oem. I'll take a look on some of the other threads here to see if anyone's managed to get close to oem without being too intrusive.
Plug 'n play... Blaupunkt THA475: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157820
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
cienzod
Rookie
United Kingdom
Rep

You are a star...Thanks!

Just what I'm looking for!

08-31-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
cienzod
Rookie
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Any other OEM amp is installed in the left side corner of the trunk (under the place where the CD Changer is installed); the OEM Alpine amp kit is installed where your DAB tuner is located.

If you are set in getting that Alpine kit, it could be custom installed where the OEM amp is normally installed. Unless your particular dealer is willing to do custom jobs like this, I don't see them doing it as it requires extending the speaker wires a little bit and a custom bracket to secure the amp in this new location.
Hey Technic, just thought I'd follow up. I got the Alpine OEM upgrade installed, sounds great. I went to the dealer to order up OEM speakers to install the Blaupunkt amp, but they offered to look into it for me. Turns out the Alpine amp is installed under the boot/trunk floor, so no real reason why BM cannot offer the upgrade with DAB. Anyway, it's installed and I'm a happy camper now.
      08-31-2009, 03:46 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Hey Technic, just thought I'd follow up. I got the Alpine OEM upgrade installed, sounds great. I went to the dealer to order up OEM speakers to install the Blaupunkt amp, but they offered to look into it for me. Turns out the Alpine amp is installed under the boot/trunk floor, so no real reason why BM cannot offer the upgrade with DAB. Anyway, it's installed and I'm a happy camper now.
Nice...

It seems that your dealer moved either the amp or the DAB tuner somewhere else to make space, as their install location is the same:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Alpine_install_instructions[1].pdf (428.1 KB, 486 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
cienzod
Rookie
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Nice...

It seems that your dealer moved either the amp or the DAB tuner somewhere else to make space, as their install location is the same:
Curious...'cos there was definitely nothing under the boot floor before they installed the amp I stored some cleaning gear there before. Not sure where the DAB tuner is then...I'll take a look this weekend to see where that's been installed...definitely have DAB though so I'm not complaining...

Thanks for all you help anyway!