BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

04-14-2015, 06:09 PM   #45
///Mvy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15M3 + 08GT3

You mention sliding around in the seat...

http://www.amazon.com/Lock-Performan.../dp/B0010E7OB8

I use one of these devices when I track and absolutely love it. It attaches to the seat belt buckle and allows you to lock your butt in the seat. Combined with tightening the bolsters and dropping the lumbar all the way back, I don't have any problems staying planted on the stock seats.

The other option is a little trick of using the centrifugal lock in the belt to hold you in place - tightly.

1. Position your seat in track-ready position. Hands and feet at the correct distance.
2. Move the seat rearward 5-6 inches. (if you have power seats, count to "three" while moving rearward.
3. Angle the seatback rearward a similar amount.
4. Cinch up the belt so that it is tight at your waist.
5. "Lock" the belt, using a quick pull on the belt. Or, with your right hand, reach over your left shoulder and "snap" the belt until it locks.
6. Now return the seat and seatback to your prior driving position. If you feel that you are held really tightly in this position, you're doing it correctly. You'll get used to the tightness. (Remember how being cinched into an Instructor's car's harness felt the first time?)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #46
///Mvy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15M3 + 08GT3

Also, on some cars, you can pull the seat belt all the way out to it's max. As it reels in, the lock will be automatic. Not sure if this works on the M3 though.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 09:35 AM   #47
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mvy View Post
You mention sliding around in the seat...

http://www.amazon.com/Lock-Performan.../dp/B0010E7OB8

I use one of these devices when I track and absolutely love it. It attaches to the seat belt buckle and allows you to lock your butt in the seat. Combined with tightening the bolsters and dropping the lumbar all the way back, I don't have any problems staying planted on the stock seats.

The other option is a little trick of using the centrifugal lock in the belt to hold you in place - tightly.

1. Position your seat in track-ready position. Hands and feet at the correct distance.
2. Move the seat rearward 5-6 inches. (if you have power seats, count to "three" while moving rearward.
3. Angle the seatback rearward a similar amount.
4. Cinch up the belt so that it is tight at your waist.
5. "Lock" the belt, using a quick pull on the belt. Or, with your right hand, reach over your left shoulder and "snap" the belt until it locks.
6. Now return the seat and seatback to your prior driving position. If you feel that you are held really tightly in this position, you're doing it correctly. You'll get used to the tightness. (Remember how being cinched into an Instructor's car's harness felt the first time?)
I'll need to take a look at that, I tried the other way to lock myself in but I must have been doing it wrong cause it was not working.

I might just spoil myself and get seats or find a used set if BMW Performance since they discontinued them now. The Recaro Sportsters CS is Carbon Fiber are attractive as well and while they do not have the airbag on the side, they do weight considerably less than the Performance ones (although they are made by the same company).

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mvy View Post
Also, on some cars, you can pull the seat belt all the way out to it's max. As it reels in, the lock will be automatic. Not sure if this works on the M3 though.
I was trying but I don't think I was doing it right.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 08:12 AM   #48
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3

How do all those rear parts feel from the stock ones?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 11:08 PM   #49
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
I never really pushed the car with stock rear components, I did the rear spherical to complement the triple adjustable shocks I put in. I do have to say thought, the rear just feels connected. Even at the track the car was always well composed and never lost the rear end. Since my previous mods included tightening up the chassis and diff, I wanted to do the same with the rear suspension and also replace all worn rubber.

It was either this or the powerflex black series bushings which although were cheaper in parts, the labor would have brought the price up to what I paid for the rear spherical conversion.
      07-07-2015, 02:49 PM   #50
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Nice. Have you weighed your car?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 12:40 AM   #51
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest
Nice. Have you weighed your car?
When it was getting corner balanced, the scale read 3530 with a 1/4 tank of gas. When I swap out exhaust to Akra Evo I'll weight it again.
      07-10-2015, 09:51 PM   #52
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Good stuff here!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 02:56 PM   #53
landoflui
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 e90

So how much difference do those bushings make?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 07:01 PM   #54
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by landoflui
So how much difference do those bushings make?
They complement the rest of the suspension and completely remove any slack.
      10-01-2015, 11:38 AM   #55
Gabergab
Italy
Rep
Drives: M3 E92

Hi very nice car!, I'm going to install the R3 on my m3 how did you install the oil reservoir in the trunk? Where is the way to the trunk for the connecting oil tube? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 03:20 PM   #56
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M__3__R__A__G__E View Post
Congrats mate! Solid build. I'd highly recommend an Akrapovic exhaust system (full titanium). Seeing as you have been bit by the weight shedding bug, that would be a really great mod with HP and torque gains included.
Finally got the full system used! Still expensive but...worth the weight reduction. I am currently chatting with Nitron about changing the rear setup to a true coilover with new spring rates. Going to have 450lb in the front and 550 rears non-divorced.

Haven't been driving the car lately as I got an EV with carpool sticker . Plus the new house is draining my finances, so the car has taken a back seat to all the other projects.

2016 though will be fun, new diff will go in and coil over overhaul, I'll install the Akra exhaust and hopefully get new seats. Been eyeing the profis now that the car is not my DD anymore, vs Recaro Sportsters CS.
      10-05-2015, 05:02 PM   #57
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabergab
Hi very nice car!, I'm going to install the R3 on my m3 how did you install the oil reservoir in the trunk? Where is the way to the trunk for the connecting oil tube? Thanks!
See pics.
Attached Images

10-06-2015, 10:14 AM   #58
dab_of_oppo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i

Garage List
2018 340i  [0.00]
Awesome build! Love the coilovers
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2016, 11:11 AM   #59
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Keeping the thread alive, I installed the Akra header back, this thing is super light! I also picked up the bimmerworld front spherical conversion and am ordering the new Sparco Grid II seats. Will be using VAC floor adapters but still need to buy the seat brackets. Debating between steel and Al, the weight difference should be negligible but the $ difference is huge!

Lastly I have been eyeing the Cantrell cage, since it bolts up to the rear strut towers and as I also bought the rear true coil over conversion from Nitron, I need to reinforce the rear towers, a-la GTS.

Race studs from Motorsport Hardware were purchased over xmas, couldn't pass up on the discount

I will also be using Fall-Line rear swaybar links, since I think mine snapped a few weeks back. Haven't had a chance to look under the car since I have been doing driveway and garage repairs

Cherry on top is the M3racing.de diff I also picked up a while back, 45/45 ramp rate. This thing is a beauty!

Will start installing around April with dry and warm weather and will post pics.