BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

12-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

Dinan tune

I understand that the racing tune goes with their mid pipe, aside from that what would the difference be between the racing tune and the non-racing tune? Just the code to eliminate the CEL? I ask because dinan states that racing products have no warranty. I would like to get a mid pipe and a tune in the future just trying to figure out which one.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

i had there reg tune before i got there midpipe and matching software. the stag2 software is for the midpipe so you don't get CEL etc i don't think you get any extra power from it. i love the midpipe it sounds amazing and the power was awesome
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 02:01 AM   #3
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
i had there reg tune before i got there midpipe and matching software. the stag2 software is for the midpipe so you don't get CEL etc i don't think you get any extra power from it. i love the midpipe it sounds amazing and the power was awesome
+1

I experience the same thing as I got the tune with their exhaust before I got their Mid-Pipe. The Mid-Pipe Tune does not increase any power, it only removes the CEL, but there was serious power and throttle response from the mid-pipe. The sound is intoxicating and not too loud. Absolutely no drone either. Now I have the ESS Tuning SC Kit and it takes the sound to another level much faster.

GTS
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 04:12 AM   #4
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr View Post
I understand that the racing tune goes with their mid pipe, aside from that what would the difference be between the racing tune and the non-racing tune? Just the code to eliminate the CEL? I ask because dinan states that racing products have no warranty. I would like to get a mid pipe and a tune in the future just trying to figure out which one.
Why would you pay that much money for a tune that makes next to nothing for power and then doesn't even have a warranty? Why not go with a Powerchip flash or flash that actually does something for your money then just turn a light off?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

because it is more then just for CEL. it is not a CEL delete like others then if you have a problem you don't know. it is matching software for the catless midpipe, without it the car wouldn't run right and you wouldn't get all the potential power. ask others who did catless midpipes without a tune. the orig software gives the car more power etc. its not always about the most power. i would rather have the dinan software in my car then any others, just my op. after having there software in all my other M cars i wouldn't put any other in there

oh and the tune for the catless midpipe is only $100. if you don't have there other software then it is more but if you have stage 1 already which i did it only cost me $100 more to get the matching midpipe software. the car runs amazing and the sound and power increase is awesome. and as stated no drone anywhere. i can't stand drone and i don't know of any others out there that have no drone anywhere in the rpm range after listening to them all. so that is why i went with there midpipe and software

and it has warranty just 2 years not 4 like the other products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmartin View Post
Why would you pay that much money for a tune that makes next to nothing for power and then doesn't even have a warranty? Why not go with a Powerchip flash or flash that actually does something for your money then just turn a light off?

Last edited by H Bomb; 12-02-2009 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

where did you get that it has no warranty?? read below it has warranty

http://www.dinancars.com/store/produ...cat=818&page=1

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep

I was referring to their matching new car warranty which all of their other products have. I see that the product has a 2 year warranty for the pipes but what is the warranty associated with the racing software. Is that also 2 years or do they match a new car warranty?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i would assume the software is the same but as said by PG just call Dinan and ask to confirm

Quote:
I was referring to their matching new car warranty which all of their other products have. I see that the product has a 2 year warranty for the pipes but what is the warranty associated with the racing software. Is that also 2 years or do they match a new car warranty?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #9
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep

Contacted Dinan, the stage 2 software works with the 2nd o2 sensors but does just delete the CEL which has already been stated. So if another problem shows up the CEL light would work. The stage 2 software has the usual matching new car warranty. Race pipes have 2 years only.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

that is why i went with the Dinan bc other software out there delete the CEL entirely and if a problem occurs you won't get a CEL to tell you. not saying all companies but some. at the time i got mine Dinan was the only one to offer software like this

Quote:
Contacted Dinan, the stage 2 software works with the 2nd o2 sensors but does just delete the CEL which has already been stated. So if another problem shows up the CEL light would work. The stage 2 software has the usual matching new car warranty. Race pipes have 2 years only.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #11
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep

I'm pretty skeptical about that CEL turning on when its supposed to because its just a bit of data turned off in the software to make the light turn off. I'm pretty sure what Dinan does is no different from any other software out there to make the light turn of. But I gotta say its a good tactic to seem better I guess.

But I gotta raise a flag on this one.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 03:44 PM   #12
dogears
My master volume goes to 11
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

Good one Jon!!

I agree.

I was with Jeremy from Powerchip when they disabled my CEL due to HFC cats. Powerchip specifically goes in to the programming and modifies one area that keeps the rear O2 sensors from ever coding. I do not believe they turn off the CEL entirely. I watched him modify the blocks with my own eyes.

I hope Dinan is not spreading BS that they are the only ones to leave the CEL operational for other errors.

Quote:
I'm pretty skeptical about that CEL turning on when its supposed to because its just a bit of data turned off in the software to make the light turn off. I'm pretty sure what Dinan does is no different from any other software out there to make the light turn of. But I gotta say its a good tactic to seem better I guess.

12-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #13
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

they never said they were the only ones nor did i, i just said most others don't have it, they just turn the whole CEL off

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post
Good one Jon!!

I agree.

I was with Jeremy from Powerchip when they disabled my CEL due to HFC cats. Powerchip specifically goes in to the programming and modifies one area that keeps the rear O2 sensors from ever coding. I do not believe they turn off the CEL entirely. I watched him modify the blocks with my own eyes.

I hope Dinan is not spreading BS that they are the only ones to leave the CEL operational for other errors.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #14
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

so you know nothing about there software yet call bs on it. lmao

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #15
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
so you know nothing about there software yet call bs on it. lmao
I'll i meant by it is that I dont think they do anything different then the other tuners. Can you post a vid of the start up sequence like PG suggested so we can put it to bed and I can shut up?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #16
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

ah i just read that thanks, sorry. ok i will take a vid of it tom or next day. if it won't post on here i can always email you. thanks

Quote:
I'll i meant by it is that I dont think they do anything different then the other tuners. Can you post a vid of the start up sequence like PG suggested so we can put it to bed and I can shut up?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #17
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

camera quality sucks but you can see it come on top right side

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #18
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i just got the car so it is new to me so i am learning all the lights etc. but the engine light does come on it just goes out before the others. you can see it come on in the videos but it goes away quick. is there more then one check engine light??

i just played it again, it isn't on the far right but more towards the middle. the light above the seat belt light. it said check engine. it goes out before the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's disabled. The far top-right doesn't come on -- and I think that's the CEL. Of course, I can't check my own car because it's on winter break in SoCal. I can clearly see the engine-looking light in the farthest upper right corner, and that one isn't lighting. I think the light you're talking about is the airbag light.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #19
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

In vid2, it comes on (@ 8 secs), then immediately goes off (@ 9secs) while the other lights stay on.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #20
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

so is there more then one check engine light on these cars or just the one???

would it show it in the manual anywhere??

lmk thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
Can somebody check the farthest upper right light on their car and post the results (video is not necessary).
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 10:39 PM   #21
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
so is there more then one check engine light on these cars or just the one???

would it show it in the manual anywhere??

lmk thanks

No there is only one light and it clearly comes on and goes out as soon as the engine fires. It is Amber Colour and is in text which appears like follows:

SERVICE
ENGINE
SOON

Have another look at your videos and you will see it.

Basically all the tuners do to prevent the light from illuminating is disable the "catalyst monitoring" in the readiness checks. When you get a CEL from a cat delete it is due to the car failing the catalyst monitoring in the readiness checks. The reason why it takes 40+ miles to turn on the light after a cat delete is because the readiness checks take a least that long for the ECU/DME to perform. Readiness checks show that all of your emissions control systems are performing properly.
      12-03-2009, 11:38 PM   #22
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

ok cool so mine is active then. thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0