BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

03-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

New Home Warranty

I'm buying a house in Baltimore City. It's new construction, but it wasn't built by a corporate builder (e.g., Pulte, Ryland, etc.) so the seller doesn't offer their own self-underwritten home warranty. As such, I'm requesting the seller include a third-party home warranty with the property. In Maryland, the law requires a warranty that provides at least 1 year comprehensive coverage; 2 years for major systems (e.g., plumbing, heating, air conditioning, etc.); and 5 years for load-bearing structural components.

Who is a reputable provider of these warranties?

How do I compare plans?

The way I have written the contract right now, I've said the seller must find a warranty plan and then get my approval before purchasing it. Should I be more specific - should I specify exactly which plan they have to buy?
Archived: 2019 BMW X5 50i M Sport Mineral White/Full Black,2019 Ford GT350 Ford Performance Blue/Dark Slate, 2012 BMW X5 50i Alpine White/Black, 2014 BMW 320i M Sport Melbourne Red/Black, 2009 BMW DINAN3 Alpine White/Black, 2008 BMW 335xi Alpine White/Black, 1998 BMW 328is Avus Blue/Tan
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

You'll get fucked.

I mean.. do it so that you might have a prayer of a chance of recouping some of your repair costs, but as a rule these places make it SO hard for you to get reimbursed.. it's how they make their money.

If for instance your AC condenser goes and you owe 4k for the repair... you might have to chase them around for a year, but you'll get your money back eventually. So in that regard it's good that it's there, but for the $300-$500 repair jobs it gets to a point that it becomes a second job to try and manage the payouts/claims, etc. and it just isn't worth it.

They're a good thing to have, I'm just trying to set expectations that it isn't as great as you think it is. At least you are being smart about it and doing research... I didn't because my Agent "recommended" a firm to me for mine... I figured $350... what the hay!

Well... I'll let the reviews to the talking.

http://www.homewarrantyreviews.com/r...-home-warranty

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
You'll get fucked.

I mean.. do it so that you might have a prayer of a chance of recouping some of your repair costs, but as a rule these places make it SO hard for you to get reimbursed.. it's how they make their money.

If for instance your AC condenser goes and you owe 4k for the repair... you might have to chase them around for a year, but you'll get your money back eventually. So in that regard it's good that it's there, but for the $300-$500 repair jobs it gets to a point that it becomes a second job to try and manage the payouts/claims, etc. and it just isn't worth it.

They're a good thing to have, I'm just trying to set expectations that it isn't as great as you think it is. At least you are being smart about it and doing research... I didn't because my Agent "recommended" a firm to me for mine... I figured $350... what the hay!

Well... I'll let the reviews to the talking.

http://www.homewarrantyreviews.com/r...-home-warranty

+1 I don't understand how this mini scam still exists....
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

These warranty programs may be a scam if you expect them to replace your lightbulbs... but I'm not buying a new, untested house without some expectation of coverage against defects in materials and workmanship...
Archived: 2019 BMW X5 50i M Sport Mineral White/Full Black,2019 Ford GT350 Ford Performance Blue/Dark Slate, 2012 BMW X5 50i Alpine White/Black, 2014 BMW 320i M Sport Melbourne Red/Black, 2009 BMW DINAN3 Alpine White/Black, 2008 BMW 335xi Alpine White/Black, 1998 BMW 328is Avus Blue/Tan
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
These warranty programs may be a scam if you expect them to replace your lightbulbs... but I'm not buying a new, untested house without some expectation of coverage against defects in materials and workmanship...
I definitely don't fault you for it...because as the original poster said, for the big ticket items it helps. But they have to be BIG ticket items, otherwise the hassle you deal with is usually ridiculous. This is why I'm calling it a 'scam', not because it's a waste of your money, more because of what they try to convey with their 'home warranty' program to be an easy, quick/simple thing...when in reality the hoops and paperwork you have to deal with becomes a big time suck.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
I definitely don't fault you for it...because as the original poster said, for the big ticket items it helps. But they have to be BIG ticket items, otherwise the hassle you deal with is usually ridiculous. This is why I'm calling it a 'scam', not because it's a waste of your money, more because of what they try to convey with their 'home warranty' program to be an easy, quick/simple thing...when in reality the hoops and paperwork you have to deal with becomes a big time suck.
Exactly.
Appreciate 0