BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

02-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
Low J.
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1991 Hyundai Scoupe

Muffler delete on my e90 M3

I tried for 2 months to find a local shop to do the stock exhaust mod without success. The youtube vids I watched showed that a muffler delete with some tips sounded just about the same as a $5k exhaust so I went for it. Sounds fantastic. Nice and loud but not intrusive at all on the highway at cruising speeds. Best of all it was just under $200 including the nice staggered chrome tips out back. I couldn't be happier. Any muffler shop can do this in like an hour. Why isn't this more popular?

Pics and vid coming as soon as I get a chance to shoot them.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
ksflatlander
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Drone?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
tlr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low J. View Post
I tried for 2 months to find a local shop to do the stock exhaust mod without success. The youtube vids I watched showed that a muffler delete with some tips sounded just about the same as a $5k exhaust so I went for it. Sounds fantastic. Nice and loud but not intrusive at all on the highway at cruising speeds. Best of all it was just under $200 including the nice staggered chrome tips out back. I couldn't be happier. Any muffler shop can do this in like an hour. Why isn't this more popular?
Three words: electronic cutout valves. But they're not as popular as I'd expect either.

It's like a muffler delete when you want it, but not when you don't. I leave them open most of the time because it sounds so awesome (I've had people tell me it sounded like a Ferrari), but sometimes I'll close them on the highway (it does drone), or driving around residential areas at night, etc.

The valves are about $500 (I have Race Ready), and installation is $200-400. Well worth it for the versatility.
      02-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low J. View Post

Pics and vid coming as soon as I get a chance to shoot them.

x1000..

I had a gintani; gintani with rpi x-pipe, and now I have just a muffler delete with two straight pipes and nice staggered tips. It really does sound great, and is actually quieter than my gintani alone.. weird. But it is essentially the ACM mod with about 50lbs off the rear of the car.

I don't know why m3 people turn their nose up to something so simple, as the e39 and e60 m5 guys do muffler deletes all the time.

And for all those saying the ACM mod keeps the heimholtz tubes, you are changing the volume of the exhaust by doing the mod, thereby greatly reducing the effect of the smaller heimholtz pipes and they would have to be made longer to combat the increased volume over drone.
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Sounds wicked

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
Rekrul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp, 16 GT3RS

Sounds very nice. I'm a anal about drone.. only thing that stopped me from doing something similar. Although I've heard straight pipes actually lose power on these motors.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekrul View Post
Sounds very nice. I'm a anal about drone.. only thing that stopped me from doing something similar. Although I've heard straight pipes actually lose power on these motors.

I haven't put the car on a dyno, so can't comment. But it doesn't feel any differeny and keep in mind you're removing @ 50lbs off the rear of the car and every 100lbs is = .1 in a 1/4 mile.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
e92Mjunky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 S65 swap

^ true on the weight drop...sounds mean as hell, my neigbors would kill me
      03-21-2012, 12:52 AM   #9
abramelkyzedeck
Private First Class
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 15' 435i M-sport

muffler delete

hi sick exhaust setup, did u do any resonator delete or seconday cat delete?
Appreciate 0