BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

No cats at the dealer?

I was wondering how the dealers recieve cars that go in with no cats? I would think the smell would immediatly give it away and while I know cat delete alone cannot void warranty, I would think they would suspect other mods based on knowing your cats are gone. I also could see them denying an engine claim with cats gone given theoretically it could mess with the engine air flow properties. Not saying in fact it does but I could see them using that to get out of a warranty claim..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
It's all about your relationship with the dealer, and especially with the service manager and SA. My dealership has no problems with my car... I pass inspection, and the techs love the SC.

And yes, they'll know the second you pull in. Just talk to the SA first and feel them out... it's all about expectations as well; If I have any engine issues I don't expect them to cover it, but anything unrelated to my mods is fine with them.
Its a funny thought, you going into a dealer with your mods. For the "feeling out" part I mean. "Yeah, I umm, have umm, done a little work to my car, and umm, how do you guys feel about that?"
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
Ateam
Banned
Rep

Yes, not sure how you "feel them out" to be honest. Its kind of pointless if you think about it. 2 scenarios may occur.

1.He is ok with mods. Therefore if you bring it in with mods anyway, he will have been fine with it. No need to find this out before hand.

2.If he is not ok with it. If you ask him or "feel him out" then he will be on the lookout for you having mods on your car. You might as well just bring it in and see what happens.

Not sure feeling out is useful here.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 12:05 AM   #4
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

Half my cats are gone... and the dealer did it for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 01:44 AM   #5
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3

Quote:
It's all about your relationship with the dealer, and especially with the service manager and SA. My dealership has no problems with my car... I pass inspection, and the techs love the SC.

And yes, they'll know the second you pull in. Just talk to the SA first and feel them out... it's all about expectations as well; If I have any engine issues I don't expect them to cover it, but anything unrelated to my mods is fine with them.
Very true cause I took my car to Beverly Hills BMW and got crap from them cause I have exhaust on my car and they were saying it will void warranty if somthing happens. I just took it in for an oil change... Since then, I continue to take mine to Long Beach BMW, they are super cool and have never said anything... To me its worth the extra 30 min drive....

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

not a problem at my dealer...i cant wait till something goes terribly wrong and they change their mind...
      09-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, Sold:'11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
What about dogs? Any issues with the smell of dogs at the dealer?
      09-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
cloud8r
Member BMW CCA Los Angeles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 GC Comp

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:

Oh for crying out loud... Call the dealership, tell them you run no-cats (or you plan on modding), ask them if it will be a problem. Done. And here is a f@cking brilliant idea - do it before you mod.
This!
This is one of those situations where it makes more sense to ask for permission than forgiveness. Ideally do this before your mod. It makes it easier if you are already going to the same dealer/sa and already have a rapport. (I can't stress how important rapport is-- for anything)

Just tell him, you're on the boards and there's so many conflicting information about how dealerships feel about mods and instead of listening to all the bs, you wanted to actually get his advice. He'll respect you for asking him and even if he's on the fence on the idea, you got yourself some leverage. And if not, go to another dealer.

Much enjoyed:
2018 ///M4 ZCP || 2014 ///M5 ZCP || 2011.5 ///M3 Sedan || 2007 ///M Coupe || 2008 550i Sport || 2006 ///M3 ZCP || 2008 X3 3.0si || 2006 325i || 2003 Z4 3.0 Roadster || 2003 330ci || 2002 325i
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #9
Lagunae92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3 Laguna Seca Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCL16M3 View Post
Quote:

Very true cause I took my car to Beverly Hills BMW and got crap from them cause I have exhaust on my car and they were saying it will void warranty if somthing happens. I just took it in for an oil change... Since then, I continue to take mine to Long Beach BMW, they are super cool and have never said anything... To me its worth the extra 30 min drive....
Long Beach has been cool with my mods as well. Have an exhaust and the SA said "damn, I live how your car sounds." they know
Mods: |Electronic Performance Steering Wheel|ZCP CF Spoiler|ZCP CF Spliters|ZCP CF Mirrors|Edition Front Grilles|Edition Side Grilles|BMW Performance Brake Handle|3D Design Pedals| Style Rumore Exhaust|H&R Springs|LCI Tails|Challenge CF Door Panels|
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
DOUT
Captain
United_States
Rep

I've seen a dog there once

Previous:
2009 335i ZMP
2013 M3 6MT ZCP Space Grey/Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #11
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUT View Post
I've seen a dog there once
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #12
DOUT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post

Previous:
2009 335i ZMP
2013 M3 6MT ZCP Space Grey/Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #13
legend
Rep
Drives: e90 Me

BMW NA's response

I contacted BMW NA about header back exhaust, with regard to warranty. They said that they frown upon After Market products and can only say if in their opinion the after market product cause damage to OEM parts it would not be covered. When I asked for more detail he said that he had no technical knowledge as did his supervisor. BMW does not want their customer service people to have any knowledge of their cars, because they do not want them to give out advise that may be incorrect. He was willing to advise me not to buy a competitors automobile, beyond that it was a pretty pointless conversation.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #14
DjZotic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

I have a buddy that takes his car in to century west with a few mods, along with the fact that it has no cats. no problems at all, just be very direct with them and what you have done to your car
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 11:31 PM   #15
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjZotic View Post
I have a buddy that takes his car in to century west with a few mods, along with the fact that it has no cats. no problems at all, just be very direct with them and what you have done to your car
Every time I take my car to new century, and I wait for it in the waiting room, I always hear my car being revved, as the techs are so amazed by my akra evo. Because the engine bay is in the same building as the parking structure, u can definitely hear the massive echo it makes.

They tell me it's one of the best sounding exhausts and they like playing with it, so I've been told.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 02:11 AM   #16
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend View Post
I contacted BMW NA about header back exhaust, with regard to warranty. They said that they frown upon After Market products and can only say if in their opinion the after market product cause damage to OEM parts it would not be covered. When I asked for more detail he said that he had no technical knowledge as did his supervisor. BMW does not want their customer service people to have any knowledge of their cars, because they do not want them to give out advise that may be incorrect. He was willing to advise me not to buy a competitors automobile, beyond that it was a pretty pointless conversation.
Did you really expect anything else from calling BMW NA?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #17
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

its not all about the SA. Its about the tech. with my modded 335i im cool with the tech and text him prior.
      09-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #18
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

i just took in my car for the first time after removing the primary cats. i talked to my sa before hand because i was going in for an exhaust related issue. buzzing or vibration and thought it was the rear bracket on the axle back. it was iffy if they would cover the damage since i put in the mid section and would say it was caused by that. turned out not to be a bracket issue and something i can fix easily. my sa didnt have an issue with my car having cats removed but did make a note in my service record to that effect.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #19
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
I was wondering how the dealers recieve cars that go in with no cats? I would think the smell would immediatly give it away and while I know cat delete alone cannot void warranty.
First thing to remember is it's a federal offense to remove cats, so they'd be fully justified to cancel warranty on that alone. But the kicker is no cats require tuning to remove the CEL, so no CEL means you're tuned. And a tune can void your entire powertrain warranty. And no, there's no reversing a tune; it can always be detected that DME was tampered with.

That's why unless you count a BMW service manager as your drinking buddy, I'd seriously question doing any of that crap to a car under warranty. And if you already did, taking it there with those mods wouldn't even cross my mind. But to each his own. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #20
therealsullyz
frequent tire investor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
First thing to remember is it's a federal offense to remove cats, so they'd be fully justified to cancel warranty on that alone.
This is not correct. In the event of a warranty claim refusal they would have to prove that the cat removal was the cause of that particular failure by law under the Magnuson-Moss Act.
The Federal offense is a separate issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
But the kicker is no cats require tuning to remove the CEL, so no CEL means you're tuned. And a tune can void your entire powertrain warranty.
Also incorrect. Innotech bypass pipes for example, do not require a tune to prevent the SES light for catalyst inefficiency.
The Akropovic delete-r also prevents the SES light without a "tune".
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #21
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsullyz View Post
The Akropovic delete-r also prevents the SES light without a "tune".
i told my sa yesterday i was running this to explain the lack of increased emission light.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #22
ModBargains III
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 135i, E46 M3, 540i

I had no problem with that going to Crevier BMW. I just told my rep that the check engine light is on, I know what it's on for, headers on the car, and there's no need to check it, it's not urgent. He said ok, and just took the car for inspection I or II, depending on what I needed.

I've heard that some do care though, it just depends on the dealership.