XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

My new '10 X5 35d!

We just took delivery of our new 2010 Space Grey Metallic X5 35d.

We chose the Black Nevada Leather interior with Dark Bamboo wood trim. It has the Tech Pkg (yes...with the rear view camera), Premium Pkg, Executive Pkg, Sport Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Aluminum running boards, and Heads Up display.

With only a few hours of driving time in it already I'll offer a few early observations. It's fast...lol. Really fast...especially compared to our '09 ML320 Bluetec and our old '03 X5 4.4. It handles as expected, and I would agree with another owner that stated the X5 feels more like a car and the ML more like a truck. The X5 is definitely harsher over bumps than the Mercedes.

The stereo system is incredible. I have never heard anything that good in a big empty SUV. I have the Mark Levinson in my IS F, which I love, but this is clearly much better.

The comfort seats are also amazing. They help to cushion the blow over the bumps, but where I'm sure we'll really appreciate them is on long trips.

The HUD is fantastic. I tested the Nav with it to see how if functioned, and while I didn't need it where we were going today, I can definitely see how beneficial it will be if I'm somwhere unfamiliar. I love being able to focus on the road without looking down or away....especially at night with the amount of wildlife we have around here.

A few things that I've been less than impressed with already. I still have no clue as to why BMW Canada does not include or even offer block heaters for their SUV's. It's no secret that it gets ridiculously cold up here...lol. I ran into a new owner of a 35d at the bank prior to my pick up and questioned him on any issues he's faced so far. The only thing he mentioned was that when it got super cold up here (-40 C) that it froze up and had to be towed.

I don't understand why the rear tailgate opens with the remote but you have to physically push the button on the door to close it. In both our ML and our previous RX330 you can open and close the door with a touch of the remote.

I don't like the gear shift sticking up like it does and where it's positioned. I actually prefer the stalk set up on our MB. It dramatically frees up space on the center console. I found it awkward to reach for my coffee with the shifter directly in front of the cupholder. I also find it ridiculous that we don't get paddles on a vehicle that performs this well. Even our ML has paddles.

The quality of the image from the rear view camera is quite disappointing. I like the lines and the park assist, but the image quality is poor. I'm not sure if it's the camera or the monitor or a combination of both, but the rear view camera on my IS F is crystal clear vs. this.

Even with these few criticisms....we are very, very happy with our new purchase. More comments to follow with longer seat time.

I should also give mention to the dealership. We worked with Calgary BMW and specifically Darcy. We have nothing but great things to say about how everything was handled, especially the ordering and camera issue. Thanks so much!

P.S. Sorry about the crappy pics and the size....it was late and the moment we took it outside it was dirty...lol.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
09BMWX530i
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5 30i

Very Nice.

Drive it in good health.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Congrats for your new BMW
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Just a quick update.

I seriously don't know how Benz and BMW continue to sell vehicles at this price range and are unable to figure out the electrical components.

We picked up our vehicle on Friday night...drove it home....under 3 hours and 200 km....and it started acting up Saturday morning. I was driving to work, when all of a sudden all of the audio shut down. No radio, no Ipod, no navigation and no Bluetooth.

It was weird because the Idrive showed like it was operating correctly. It continued to happen every time I drove the vehicle over the next couple of days. It wouldn't re-set if you just turned off the vehicle and restarted it. But after a day or work it would start up just fine with everything working. Within 5-15 min. it would shut down again.

Needless to say it went into the shop first thing on Monday morning. They gave me a loaner and kept the car all day. They ran all of the diagnostics and determined that they couldn't replicate the problem. They did find one fault and reset it. Being that I was driving 1 1/2 hours to pick up the vehicle, I questioned if it had been actually test driven and if it worked properly. They took this suggestion and drove it for about 20 minutes before I arrived. I picked it up and drove it home with no issues. I was concerned the next day, but remarkably it worked fine all day.

Unfortunately, on my way to work today the audio shut down again. I have spoken with the service manager and it will be going back in tomorrow. (Luckily for them we are off to Vegas tomorrow so they can have it for a few days). I have informed service and our sales guy that if they are unable to completely figure out and repair the issue while we are gone, we will be returning it. We firmly believe that we were delivered our X5 in an unacceptable condition and don't think we should have any issue. Our sales guy agrees.

I'll let you know the end result.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Protonic Blue i3 REx

nice ride!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
Drakos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G42 M240i

This ironically happened on my 335 as well. The lcd lit up but no sound. All I did was disconnect the battery terminal and hooked it back up. It has not cut out since. A new problem surfaced though...The USB integration plug does not recognize my thumb drive when I start the car. I have to unplug it and plug it back in. I think that BMW has very shaky electronics and should try to get on par with the Japanese counterparts. My brother's Lexus IS350 has been running picture perfect without any issues. Sorry to hear about your problems, but very nice ride nevertheless
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Put yourself in the mechanic's shoes.

They have standard diagnostics to detect issues.

An intermittent issue, as with ANY electrical component is difficult at best to solve, especially when the issue does not always occur.

I know most consumers cannot appreciate this and it is easy to get upset.

If you can't take the heat, avoid premium products.

However, your issue does sound like a loose cable connector. They will need to dismantle the dash to solve this one most likely.

As far as Lexus goes, how soon we forget the massive Toyota lawsuit regarding oil sludge, or the recent recall of millions of vehicles for safety issues. We need to step back at look at technology as it relates to cars as a whole and not focus on one company.
      01-14-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
Put yourself in the mechanic's shoes.

They have standard diagnostics to detect issues.

An intermittent issue, as with ANY electrical component is difficult at best to solve, especially when the issue does not always occur.

I know most consumers cannot appreciate this and it is easy to get upset.

If you can't take the heat, avoid premium products.

However, your issue does sound like a loose cable connector. They will need to dismantle the dash to solve this one most likely.

As far as Lexus goes, how soon we forget the massive Toyota lawsuit regarding oil sludge, or the recent recall of millions of vehicles for safety issues. We need to step back at look at technology as it relates to cars as a whole and not focus on one company.
Maybe take your head out of the sand and look up some statistical data on vehicle reliability.

You clearly are a fanboi that wants to sit here and defend issues that should not ever happen. This vehicle had 200km and under 3 hours driving time on it. The issue wasn't intermittment. It happened every time I drove it for 6 trips and it's happening again.

The stats don't lie. The German vehicles can't come close to the Japanese ones in terms of reliability or technology. We've had 2 Lexus' in the past 4 years and they have both been relatively bulletproof. Our '09 Mercedes has had multiple electronic/CEL issues.

I've been in and around BMW's for a long time, because my father, like you is willing to look past all of the grief that goes along with owning one. (Ironically, he now drives the same X6 as you). It doesn't change the fact that it's a total crap shoot on whether your vehicle will function correctly or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Maybe take your head out of the sand and look up some statistical data on vehicle reliability.

You clearly are a fanboi that wants to sit here and defend issues that should not ever happen. This vehicle had 200km and under 3 hours driving time on it. The issue wasn't intermittment. It happened every time I drove it for 6 trips and it's happening again.

The stats don't lie. The German vehicles can't come close to the Japanese ones in terms of reliability or technology. We've had 2 Lexus' in the past 4 years and they have both been relatively bulletproof. Our '09 Mercedes has had multiple electronic/CEL issues.

I've been in and around BMW's for a long time, because my father, like you is willing to look past all of the grief that goes along with owning one. (Ironically, he now drives the same X6 as you). It doesn't change the fact that it's a total crap shoot on whether your vehicle will function correctly or not.
Not a fan boy, but I can read. But you are correct, the stats don't lie.

If you look at the most recent initial quality survey, Lexus had 84 issues per 100 vehicles. This is about 1 issue per car. BMW had 112 issues per 100 vehicles, which is again about one issue per car on average.

The reality is, every car brand creates some troublesome cars. Check the Lexus, MB, Toyota, Acura forums and you will see similar posts.

If you are so knowledgable about quality,why on earth would you buy a $60k vehicle that in your eyes just plain sucks and is terrible when it comes to quality?

I have no doubt Lexus is perhaps one of the best built cars ever made. The secret is continue to use parts developed years ago. That is how they maintain high quality much like Porsche with the 911. Same window switches, engines and trannys for years. However, quality has improved so much across the board over the last 20 years that there is really not much difference between number one and the last car on the list. interesting, all dealers regardless of brand, have full repair bays.

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...spx?ID=2009108
Attached Images

Last edited by chuck92103; 01-15-2010 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #10
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
If you are so knowledgable about quality,why on earth would you buy a $60k vehicle that in your eyes just plain sucks and is terrible when it comes to quality?
Where did I ever say it sucked as far as quality?

I did state that the Germans are less reliable than the Japanese vehicles. That is fact, not opinion. I do find it ridiculous that BMW and Mercedes can't figure out the reliability issues that plague them. I knew full well what I was getting into. This is more of a test to see if this improvement in reliablity actually exists. So far, in my experience it hasn't. Why should you have to compromise reliability for driving experience???

We had a Lexus SUV (RX330) that we loved and had very few issues with. Does it drive anything close to our MB or BMW? Not even close.

This X5 is just another vehicle to drive occassionally and help keep the mileage down on my IS F and ML. I don't love this vehicle or intend on keeping it forever. I really wanted to see what the dealership experience (which has been excellent) was all about and see if reliability had improved. I intend on picking up an F10 M5 in the future, but won't spend $130K on a car that spends uneccessary time in the shop frequently.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #11
roller
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

My family just bought a X5 35d also. The day after we took delivery we noticed the front left reflector fell inside of the bumper and a rear right LED accessory light was not working.

But.. it's all fixed up now. I guess these small problems happen to a lot of people on delivery.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #12
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

it looks great - enjoy! i too love my X5 35d
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #13
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I just have a couple of comments.

1) Your ML320 really qualifies as a certifiable piece of shit. I've known several BMW families that bought the ML in search of something different and in all three cases returned the car within the first 6 months because they absolutely hated it.

2) If you are not able to tell from 5 miles behind the wheel of ANY X5 that it is vastly superior to the ML in every way you don't deserve to be driving that car. Ignorance is bliss, you should have gotten his and hers ML's. Think of how cute you could look at the club.

3) If I'm going to drop 70-80K on a German car, I am going to make damn sure I buy a model that is designed, manufactured and assembled in GERMANY. I want my German car to be built by an older man named Hans... who's appreciation for quality, craftsmanship and precision is a way of life instilled over many generations. Your X5 was built by a nice young woman named Latoya, who used to work at Wal Mart but became an automotive worker when BMW came to town. Don't worry though, she attended a week long off sight seminar on quality control and has the framed certificate hanging on her bench to prove it.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 09:15 PM   #14
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep

^^^ funny post
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 02:26 AM   #15
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post

1) Your ML320 really qualifies as a certifiable piece of shit. I've known several BMW families that bought the ML in search of something different and in all three cases returned the car within the first 6 months because they absolutely hated it.

2) If you are not able to tell from 5 miles behind the wheel of ANY X5 that it is vastly superior to the ML in every way you don't deserve to be driving that car. Ignorance is bliss, you should have gotten his and hers ML's. Think of how cute you could look at the club.

3) If I'm going to drop 70-80K on a German car, I am going to make damn sure I buy a model that is designed, manufactured and assembled in GERMANY. I want my German car to be built by an older man named Hans... who's appreciation for quality, craftsmanship and precision is a way of life instilled over many generations. Your X5 was built by a nice young woman named Latoya, who used to work at Wal Mart but became an automotive worker when BMW came to town. Don't worry though, she attended a week long off sight seminar on quality control and has the framed certificate hanging on her bench to prove it.
Wow! Clearly you are the prototypical M3 driving douchebag!

Guess Clarkson was right.....M3 drivers have no friends.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #16
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

My 2010 X5 35d has had ZERO problems (made in USA).

My 2009 Z4 35i has had MANY problems that are still not resolved (made in Germany).

Before the above horrible experience with a poor quality Z4, I would have agreed with your made in Germany comment - but I will no longer be so foolish.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 01:31 PM   #17
09BMWX530i
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller View Post
My family just bought a X5 35d also. The day after we took delivery we noticed the front left reflector fell inside of the bumper and a rear right LED accessory light was not working.

But.. it's all fixed up now. I guess these small problems happen to a lot of people on delivery.
My X5 I picked up off the lot was not properly cleaned and had sticky film/grease on the window frames. This was residue from the tape when these vehicles arrive from the factory.

The dealership had to take it to a local body shop to properly clean.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 01:37 PM   #18
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09BMWX530i View Post
My X5 I picked up off the lot was not properly cleaned and had sticky film/grease on the window frames. This was residue from the tape when these vehicles arrive from the factory.

The dealership had to take it to a local body shop to properly clean.
that bad? I didnt know the tape they used were that sticky
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #19
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Wow! Clearly you are the prototypical M3 driving douchebag!

Guess Clarkson was right.....M3 drivers have no friends.
Dude... I have plenty of friends. It's just that you bought an ML320 NA an IS-F. You obviously have no taste when it comes to choosing cars.... or should I say you wouldn't recognize a good one if it ran you over.

Then, you finally do stumble on a good one (quite by accident I'm sure) and you are on the forums whining about the stuff that matters the least in a vehicle.

I'm sure you think your IS-F is a better car than the M3 too...

PS: Good luck with the X5... it should prove to be a great ride.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #20
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Dude... I have plenty of friends. It's just that you bought an ML320 NA an IS-F. You obviously have no taste when it comes to choosing cars.... or should I say you wouldn't recognize a good one if it ran you over.

Then, you finally do stumble on a good one (quite by accident I'm sure) and you are on the forums whining about the stuff that matters the least in a vehicle.

I'm sure you think your IS-F is a better car than the M3 too...

PS: Good luck with the X5... it should prove to be a great ride.
Like I said...stereotypical M3 driving douche.

The ML is a more comfortable ride than the X5, especially over bumps. The turbo lag isn't nearly as bad in the ML. The fuel economy is better than than the X5. The engine is significantly quieter in the ML. You clearly have zero clue what you're talking about.

Reliability wise my IS F is light years better than the mighty M3. In a straight line and 1/4 mile you're not that fast either. My bet is that I'd win just as many races as you would since it's a driver's race. You can quote all the magazine times you want, out in the real world none of that matters.

That is if daddy let's you take it out.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 11:04 PM   #21
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

The ML is a more comfortable ride than the X5, especially over bumps. The turbo lag isn't nearly as bad in the ML. The fuel economy is better than than the X5. The engine is significantly quieter in the ML. You clearly have zero clue what you're talking about.

Reliability wise my IS F is light years better than the mighty M3. In a straight line and 1/4 mile you're not that fast either. My bet is that I'd win just as many races as you would since it's a driver's race. You can quote all the magazine times you want, out in the real world none of that matters.

You know... they say ignorance is bliss. I'm sure you DO love both the ML and the IS-F ... You simply don't know any better.

I'll bet you live in one of those big cavernous McMansion houses. You know, the ones with the fake window panes, the vinyl siding and the insert fireplace with the metal flue.

I'm sure your watch is powered by a battery too.

:finger:
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 01:16 AM   #22
roller
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:

I have driven all the cars you guys have mentioned and here is what I feel.

The X5 is about 250lbs heavier than the ML.. which isn't really much considering they're both around 5000lbs. What you say is 100% true. But I would like to argue that the X5 has much better handling and a more powerful engine. Of course better handling means a harsher ride, and a more powerful engine means more noise and fuel consumption. In terms of turbo lag, I think it might be because the X5 has twin turbos.. although honestly I really didn't notice a difference between the two.

Yes Lexus has very good reliability.. we used to have an ES that ran for 10 years with no problems except a broken strut mount. But if you put the same driver in both cars I'll bet the M3 will come up on top in nearly every racetrack. Also, I would like to argue that magazine times actually do make a difference in real-world as a benchmark for expected performance. And BMWs are maintenance free for 4 years.

Anyway, that is how I feel. Of course, I don't think you should expect winning a flame war about Lexus v. MB v. BMW in a forum that reads bimmerpost.
Oh and last time I checked BMW never had to cut my gas pedal for a safety recall... Or had to put four fake exhaust tips on.
Appreciate 0