BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-25-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

Moving from AA to Dinan exhaust?

I've had my AA exhaust for a couple of years now. I liked it when I first got it, get lots of compliments from people everywhere I go about how great it sounds, but to be honest, I'm getting a little tired of the drone. I swear it's gotten louder and dronier (is that a word?) since I put it in. It pretty much drowns out music. I've never heard a comparison, but I think dinan's exhaust would be a little quieter. (Comments?) However, if I also get the x-pipe (and software) would that make it louder than it is now with the AA and no x-pipe? I don't mind sound when it's under throttle, in fact I like it that way, but I'm just tired of the low rpm drone. So am I making sense to want to get rid of my AA and put in a full dinan with x-pipe and software?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 740i sport

Dinans x-pipe has 4 resonators. 2 extra resonators are there to help lower the sound because you no longer have cats. So Dinans shouldnt be much louder then your current set up.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 06:15 AM   #3
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Dinan exhaust is very quiet compared to AA talking axle backs alone
      08-26-2011, 06:49 AM   #4
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking would be the case. I want to do the x-pipe, but I think it would just be too loud if I kept it AA axle back. I don't mind loud under throttle, but starting it up and idling out of my neighborhood at 4:30 in the morning, I would like to keep it reasonable. It's a DD (almost). Some people say the AA doesn't have much drone, but in my opinion it does, up to about 2200 rpm, and it's been getting on my nerves lately. I guess it's all in the ear of the beholder. Obviously, just adding a x-pipe would make the AA considerably louder, but I'm thinking replacing the AA with Dinan on the back end, with it's better handling of drone, will kind of cancel it out, at least at the low end.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
So you are all saying that a full Dinan exhaust is quieter than just an axle-back AA? Really?
no. I said axle back only.
      08-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So you are all saying that a full Dinan exhaust is quieter than just an axle-back AA? Really?
I don't think it would be quieter. Under full throttle or partial throttle, I would expect it would louder, but I was hoping that the drone would be less and therefor (hopefully) it wouldn't really be any louder at startup and idle. I could live with a full dinan if it's about the same as the axle back AA at idle. This is why I asked... to get opinions. Yours is that it would be considerably louder, but no drone.

edit; SehrSchnell, we posted same time. Thanks for your input. Maybe it would be a little louder than I want.

Last edited by MysticBlue; 08-26-2011 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it will be also a lot louder during a cold start-up (a great deep rumble), but the nice thing about Dinan is that you have no drone at all.
Yeah, I get that now. AA is pretty deep and loud on cold start up for the first minute or so. If I got the full dinan, I would also get the dinan software which I think makes that loud cold start up sequence go away.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
Omerta
rev limiter abuser
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
I would also get the dinan software which I think makes that loud cold start up sequence go away.
nope... I have the mid section software that is made especially for catless and the cold start that is intended to heat up the cats is still there... personally I like the cold start but it is not very neighbor friendly.