BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

07-10-2007, 10:19 AM   #45
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Crutch 325i View Post
Right now, I only have the Autobahn until Feb 09, then back to the states, where I joke I will probably get arrested the first week because of my habit of setting the cruise at 135mph

I did get one ticket while I lived in the states, and I got PBJ talking to the judge. It was my only ticket, and I was 20 at the time. Had to pay the fine, court costs and take a driver improvement class. What a waste of a Saturday, but still better than a point on my license.
That's nice of the judge to make you a sandwich..
Attached Images

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 10:20 AM   #46
Javier
Major
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

In Puerto Rico the officer is required to clock you with the radar gun and offer to show the reading to the driver to prove that he clocked you.

They cant pace you visually because here the price of the ticket is dependent on the exact speed you were traveling.

$50 for going over the speed limit and an aditional $5 for every mph over the limit. Then Flat $500 for anything over 100mph
      07-10-2007, 10:22 AM   #47
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
why waste a day off from work when the end result will be the same

skip the courtroom, you'll be saving us all a couple of tax dollars
This may not be a "waste" as you may think. These "kids" may actually learn the legal process, as well as their rights of being a tax payer.

The animosity between cops and citizen may actually not be as severe as they get to each other "better".

Granted, you have to prepare your case before going to go to court. Otherwise, you end up learning nothing and may even look like an idiot before the judge and everyone else.

In the end, you may win or lose, depending on the "quality" of evidence you and the prosecution are able to present. But you have to win and lose professionally.
      07-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #48
aspiring335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Are people here really so delusional that they think cops are jealous of a 3 series?
      07-10-2007, 10:37 AM   #49
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
i think cops on motorcycles will laser-gun you then follow you, but cops in cars on freeways will pace you for 0.5 mile. you have to slow down before the 0.5 mile ends, and cannot use your brakes. use of brakes is a ticket guarantee
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 10:40 AM   #50
Bimmer335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 Sparkling Graphite 335i Sed

Yeah, suck it up, buddy. I had 3 speeding tix in my 20+ years of driving and all the times the officer asked me how fast I was driving, I replied, a few miles over the limit. He handed me the citation and said have a nice day, and I replied the same. It was stiff but I wasn't going to argue with him. I knew I broke the law and got caught and instead of putting up with the hassle of court proceedings, I just paid the fines, attended classes when available and move on. Am I still speeding? Heck yeah, but I'm prepared to pay for the consequences. And no I don't do over 100 mph on a regular basis, anywhere between 75-85 is my range, and THAT's speeding!

Don't waste your time UNNCESSARILY and don't give anymore reason for the insurance industry to get fatter! My .02
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 10:41 AM   #51
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring335 View Post
Are people here really so delusional that they think cops are jealous of a 3 series?
Apparantly Yeah, some folks actually have become so detatched from reality, that THIS is the reason...

Then again, most of the stupid shit in this thread has to be from the young guys, still trying to figure stuff out...
      07-10-2007, 10:43 AM   #52
MikeCCrutchfield
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh49 View Post
That's nice of the judge to make you a sandwich..
Well, if he had given me a sandwich, that would have been a tough decision, I HATE PBJ sandwiches....1 point vs eat a sandwich...hmm...lol

But Probation before Judgement is a wonderful thing (1 year)
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 10:44 AM   #53
Insider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
He was doing 90 in a 65 zone. How is that considered a "reasonable speed" ??
The point is 65 mph speed limits on freeways is often too slow. Certain sections, yes it is ok. But most freeways a 100 mph speed limit would be very safe. The autobahn with no speed limit works great and there is a lower death rate on the autobahn than our highways. So clearly speed does not kill, but rather incompetent drivers that don't know how to drive.
      07-10-2007, 10:50 AM   #54
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
why waste a day off from work when the end result will be the same

skip the courtroom, you'll be saving us all a couple of tax dollars

Here's the thing, if all the ticket was was $500 out of my pocket, then I'm with you 100%.

BUT

While I am a Stand up and take whats coming kinda guy, the fact that a good sized ticket like the OP's isn't just cash now and a little hassle, NO NO... This is the kind of ticket that Fucks your insurance rates, which can cost you thousands of dollars over the next few years.

AND

If you get pulled over again, you will most likely NOT get a "warning" or any other good guy stuff. No, you'll get a ticket because now you are habitual... :mad:

So in a sense the insurance industry and the way the system is set up Forces me to hire some Scumbag Attorney and pay that scumbag $500 to get me out of a $300 ticket because in the long run it saves me a lot of hassle, aggravation, and money.

Screwed up? Yeah it is. I am all for just paying fines as I whistle along at 90MPH...

As for all the conspiracy theories and sillyness? Folks will grow up...
================================================== ===

FWIW Pacing is a pretty dead on way to get a ticket... It means that NOT only were you speeding, but you were so freaking oblivious and paying so little attention to your surroundings that you didn't even know you were being paced... It's a hard ticket to fight.
      07-10-2007, 10:59 AM   #55
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insider View Post
The point is 65 mph speed limits on freeways is often too slow. Certain sections, yes it is ok. But most freeways a 100 mph speed limit would be very safe. The autobahn with no speed limit works great and there is a lower death rate on the autobahn than our highways. So clearly speed does not kill, but rather incompetent drivers that don't know how to drive.
The autobahns are very well maintained -- I spent 3 1/2 years in Germany -- and speeds in excess of 100 mph are very safe. Most freeways, especially here in CA, aren't safe at autobahn speeds.

I agree with your statement about incompetent drivers. German drivers have much more driver's training than Americans.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 10:59 AM   #56
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insider View Post
I think we need a graduated licensing system.

A- Under 21
B- Over 21 STANDARD License

O- OVER 21 Open Unrestricted... <----- Something like this after proving that vehicle and tires are up to spec, the driver has completed X amount of Professional drivers training, (At their Expense) and paying $1k a year in use tax or something then the driver and his vehicle(s) would be allowed unrestricted or Elevated speed limits depending on location and road restrictions. SO, speed limit signs would read:

Trucks
Cars
OU
+25 next 15 miles

Something like this would allow folks who are serious about driving, responsible enough to know when and where to set a SAFE and Prudent LIMIT in certain areas out in the sticks. In busier area there would be adjusted limits as noted about. +15 +20 Etc... Could work...

Oh and Speeding shithead Soccer Moms in SUVs or anyone else speeding 10+ over in an SUV Get a double Fine and points. Dumbshits in the Escalades and Tahoes at 85 need to get a freaking clue as to the stopping distances and piss poor handling of their rolling Cliche's.

OR

Special Licenses required for all Trucks and SUVs... Cut down on the stupid shit maybe.
      07-10-2007, 11:05 AM   #57
The Cleaner
Thats all you need to know.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 , 2016 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post

A- Under 21

O- OVER 21 Open Unrestricted... <----- Something like this after proving that vehicle and tires are up to spec, the driver has completed X amount of Professional drivers training, (At their Expense) and paying $1k a year in use tax or something then the driver and his vehicle(s) would be allowed unrestricted or Elevated speed limits depending on location and road restrictions. SO, speed limit signs would read:

Trucks
Cars
OU
+25 next 15 miles

Something like this would allow folks who are serious about driving, responsible enough to know when and where to set a SAFE and Prudent LIMIT in certain areas out in the sticks. In busier area there would be adjusted limits as noted about. +15 +20 Etc... Could work...

Oh and Speeding shit Soccor Moms in SUVs or anyone else speeding 10+ over in an SUV Get a double Fine and points. Dumbshits in the Escalades and Tahos at 85 need to get a freaking clue as to the stopping distances and piss poor handling of their rolling Cliche's.

OR

Special Licenses required for all Trucks and SUVs... Cut down on the stupid shit maybe.

I love that idea but it has one problem. Our highways are not designed to handle traffic that is moving at such significantly different speeds, it would likely cause more traffic and lane changes.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #58
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

Quote:
The autobahns are very well maintained -- I spent 3 1/2 years in Germany -- and speeds in excess of 100 mph are very safe. Most freeways, especially here in CA, aren't safe at autobahn speeds.

I agree with your statement about incompetent drivers. German drivers have much more driver's training than Americans.
That's true. The autobahn is generally a better designed and maintained network of highways than the Eisenhower interstate system is.
      07-10-2007, 11:08 AM   #59
fizzle
is it the 5oclock free crack giveaway?
United_States
Rep
Drives: a motorized vee-hickle

you should request a calibration of the officers speedo to see how accurate it is. that will help big time, and possibly get it dropped. talk to the prosecutor but get there EARLY.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 11:08 AM   #60
MikeCCrutchfield
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

A- Under 21

O- OVER 21 Open Unrestricted... <----- Something like this after proving that vehicle and tires are up to spec, the driver has completed X amount of Professional drivers training, (At their Expense) and paying $1k a year in use tax or something then the driver and his vehicle(s) would be allowed unrestricted or Elevated speed limits depending on location and road restrictions.
So....how do you know what type of license the driver has without pulling them over? (And don't say sticker on the car, because now Jonny takes daddy's car when he wants to speed) It isn't feasible without considerable expense. How about mandatory pass left/keep right? That is the biggest thing that makes the autobahn safer to speed on, and they enforce it here!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 11:08 AM   #61
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
I love that idea but it has one problem. Our highways are not designed to handle traffic that is moving at such significantly different speeds, it would likely cause more traffic and lane changes.
Might be possible with lane restrictions. That's done in Germany as well.
      07-10-2007, 11:10 AM   #62
MikeCCrutchfield
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassaxi View Post
That's true. The autobahn is generally a better designed and maintained network of highways than the Eisenhower interstate system is.
I-95 in Maryland is smoother and re-paved more often than any of the autobahns around here. The drivers make more difference than the roads.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #63
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Crutch 325i View Post
I-95 in Maryland is smoother and re-paved more often than any of the autobahns around here. The drivers make more difference than the roads.
I agree about the driver's ability making a lot of difference, but the road has to be adequately maintained. How can you do over 100 mph, if the road has nothing but potholes ??

To get a driver's license here in CA, you take a written exam - which anyone can pass - "sample" tests are posted on the internet, and a road test. The road test lasts approximately seven minutes. CA was trying to increase the road test portion to actually have the testee merge onto a freeway, but it would have taken too long. This is the sad part....
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 11:18 AM   #64
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Here's the thing, if all the ticket was was $500 out of my pocket, then I'm with you 100%.

BUT

While I am a Stand up and take whats coming kinda guy, the fact that a good sized ticket like the OP's isn't just cash now and a little hassle, NO NO... This is the kind of ticket that Fucks your insurance rates, which can cost you thousands of dollars over the next few years.

but if he goes to traffic school the ticket will not affect insurance rates

that's how it is in CA anyways

you can only go once every 18 months I think so it's not an option for frequent offenders, but if you go to traffic school (online or otherwise) it shouldn't affect insurance rates at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 11:21 AM   #65
MikeCCrutchfield
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I agree about the driver's ability making a lot of difference, but the road has to be adequately maintained. How can you do over 100 mph, if the road has nothing but potholes ??
I-95 is smoother, but the autobahns don't really get potholes. For starters, they don't use as much salt/ice melt here. Second, trucks don't have free range to tear up all of the lanes usually (plus they are mandated at 100km/h (62mph) max, so they usually have to be in the right lane anyway. And third, the base road here is built to last longer, it just gets bumpy, usually from concrete joints and such. Sometimes lanes 1&2 will be concrete (to put up with the abuse of the trucks) and lane 3 will be blacktop (to make it smoother when you are at top speed, but since you can't stay left, you end up bumping across the concrete.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 11:22 AM   #66
cheaptrick
cheap
Rep
Drives: 335CIC & 35i X6

Got a ticket in wife's 330 vert in Monterey Ca last year. Cop said 80 in a 60. I told her I was unfamiliar with the speedo and thought straight up on speedo was 60 and now I look and it's 80! I said you got me, (radar) but could you please write it for 70 as more than 15 over is no traffic school in CA. She said fine. So "fine" was lower, and I went to traffic school.

Wife is attractive and cops just LOVE to pull over cute gals.She gets more than her share of tickets. Cheap
Appreciate 0