BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

06-20-2014, 10:40 PM   #1
GVIFlyer
Large Member
Rep
Drives: '19 Porsche C2S Cab_M3 DCT ZCP

1,200 mile service.

A friend has found a cherry 2012 M3 ZCP DCT with just over 4,000 miles on it and is asking me for advice. The issue is that the Hollywood type who leased it didn't pull the 1200 mile oil change until 2,900 miles. My amigo already knows that BMW will not issue an extended warranty because of this; my question is, "How important is this really?" What kind of damage could have occurred to the engine by leaving the break-in oil in until 2,900 miles? On other high performance cars like the 335is, the first oil change is at 15,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 11:08 PM   #2
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

I didn't know the 335is is even considered a high performance car???? But to answer your question... that 1200 mi oil change is extremely important! And it is more than just an oil change. If I recall, it is noted in the owner's manual and is mandatory to sustain the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 11:23 PM   #3
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

man this car will have failed bearings for sure
      06-21-2014, 12:20 AM   #4
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

To give a little perspective, ALL BMWs used to have 1200-mile service, but when Ultimate Service was introduced and BMW started looking for ways to make it less expensive to offer, the universal 1200-mile service was one of the first casualties. Somehow the M cars were spared, probably due to outcry from the engineers.

Still, the fact that BMW limits warranty coverage on such cars should tell you how important it is. BMW knows these cars are more likely to fail, and they don't want to be stuck footing the bill. And even if this will be a short-term ownership, a late 1200-mile service will hurt resale badly. I'd look elsewhere. Failing to change the driveline oils early means all of the extra metal that accumulates in those oils during the break-in period stays in there a lot longer than it should.

But asking why the M3 can't be serviced like the 335is is backwards. If anything, the 335is should still be serviced like the M3 -- and that would almost certainly still be BMW's recommendation today if they hadn't started including "free" service. It's also worth noting that BMW's decreased service levels have apparently bit them somewhat, judging by the fact that they recently dropped the oil change interval to 10K for newer cars without changing the cars themselves. You can probably read between the lines there.

I'd also check your facts about the warranty. I don't think the extended warranty would be voided since those are third party products -- even "BMW's", which is just an Assurant warranty. That car's FACTORY warranty may have been voided for any issues that could plausibly have been caused by a late 1200-mile service.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 12:30 AM   #5
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ
I didn't know the 335is is even considered a high performance car???? But to answer your question... that 1200 mi oil change is extremely important! And it is more than just an oil change. If I recall, it is noted in the owner's manual and is mandatory to sustain the warranty.
Also true. The 1200-mile service is also a diff fluid change and (if 6MT) a trans fluid change. The 335is has an open diff so that wouldn't apply, but if I owned a 6MT 335is, I'd pay to get the oil and trans fluid changed at 1200 miles.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 12:41 AM   #6
GVIFlyer
Large Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
To give a little perspective, ALL BMWs used to have 1200-mile service, but when Ultimate Service was introduced and BMW started looking for ways to make it less expensive to offer, the universal 1200-mile service was one of the first casualties. Somehow the M cars were spared, probably due to outcry from the engineers.

Still, the fact that BMW limits warranty coverage on such cars should tell you how important it is. BMW knows these cars are more likely to fail, and they don't want to be stuck footing the bill. And even if this will be a short-term ownership, a late 1200-mile service will hurt resale badly. I'd look elsewhere. Failing to change the driveline oils early means all of the extra metal that accumulates in those oils during the break-in period stays in there a lot longer than it should.

But asking why the M3 can't be serviced like the 335is is backwards. If anything, the 335is should still be serviced like the M3 -- and that would almost certainly still be BMW's recommendation today if they hadn't started including "free" service. It's also worth noting that BMW's decreased service levels have apparently bit them somewhat, judging by the fact that they recently dropped the oil change interval to 10K for newer cars without changing the cars themselves. You can probably read between the lines there.

I'd also check your facts about the warranty. I don't think the extended warranty would be voided since those are third party products -- even "BMW's", which is just an Assurant warranty. That car's FACTORY warranty may have been voided for any issues that could plausibly have been caused by a late 1200-mile service.
Informative post. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 02:03 AM   #7
GVIFlyer
Large Member
Rep

I'm having a really hard time telling my Army mate to give up on this car - there aren't many ultra low mileage E92 M3s left.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 06:04 AM   #8
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

If the price and general condirion is right I'd go for it without second thought. 2900 miles is still close to nothing, in my mind no way the extra 1700 will make a significant change on wear even if the oil would be a bit dirty. After all S65 is a high volume and quality engine which surely can't benn designed to fail over 1700m...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 06:17 AM   #9
socalm3lover
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

On european deliveries I have exceeded the 1200 mile service a couple of times, 2400+ or so. I have never had an issue, nor has BMW said anything. Yes, it should have been changed, but it is extremely remote that anything has or will happen with either the car or BMWNA.

Encourage your friend to get the car and enjoy it.

John
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #10
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalm3lover View Post
On european deliveries I have exceeded the 1200 mile service a couple of times, 2400+ or so. I have never had an issue, nor has BMW said anything. Yes, it should have been changed, but it is extremely remote that anything has or will happen with either the car or BMWNA.

Encourage your friend to get the car and enjoy it.

John
+1

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #11
WinterSoldier
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 Coupe

From my 2013 M3 Manual:

Special Note – Maintenance Intervals

The maintenance requirements for your vehicle
are determined dynamically by the Condition
Based Service (CBS) system. The maintenance
items stated herein reflect the latest information
available at the time of the printing of this
Booklet, and are subject to change.
The completion of certain subsequent
maintenance items or services, as required by
the BMW New Vehicle LimitedWarranty, will be
specified at intervals computed by the BMW
Condition Based Service system as follows:
 Oil Service: Engine oil should be changed with
the engine at operating temperature.

1200 Mile Running-In Service

The engine in your BMW M3, M5 and M6 is a
race-bred engine design which includes
increased power output and maximum engine
speeds compared to conventional BMW 3, 5 and
6 Series engines. The increased power output
also affects other major drivetrain components,
such as the transmission and the rear axle
differential. The 1200 Mile Running-In Service
requires changing the oil in the engine, the
manual transmission and the differential. The
manual transmission is standard equipment in
the M3, and optional in the M5.

NOTE: The fluid does not need to be changed
with the M-DCT Drivelogic transmission. The
fluid has a long-term rating and does not need to
be changed except for system repairs. The
M-DCT Drivelogic transmission is optional on the
M3, and standard equipment on the M5 and M6.

Forza Michael!!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #12
GVIFlyer
Large Member
Rep

This situation has become as we used to say in the military, "OBE" - overcome by events.

Some guy came into the BMW dealership this morning and paid the $61k asking price for the car.

Thanks for the advice, guys.
Appreciate 0