BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
S656MT
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Exhaust Comparo Conclusion

I've been doing research on all full exhaust options up to $6,000. Going between axle back, to full system, etc. The goal was to find one that balanced the following:

Objective Factors (NOTE: Many exhausts did not score points in several factors. These are simply factors I used to evaluate each exhaust I thought were interesting to me.)
[] R&D
[] Race proven / heritage
[] Dyno proven
[] Durable / Quality Materials (plus is exotic/titanium)
[] OEM Fitment
[] Price point
[] Positive forum reviews

*Sound was a factor, but to me, the above balance are the objective elements I wanted to sort out and decide from there to see if sound could override a decision.

Reviewed: EVOLVE Valvetronic, IPE Valvetronic, Akrapovic Evolution, Eisenmann, Meisterschaft, BMW M Perf., Fabspeed, Challenge, Active Autowerke, DINAN, Kreissieg. Full systems and axle back only.

After all the research I ended up with one exhaust that was still KING across above factors - the Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust system. It aces all factors and considering what you get, price wise it's actually a value leader.

Does anyone have other thoughts to add? Just curious if other people when considering such factors would come up with another result.

Last edited by S656MT; 12-08-2012 at 06:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
burakkose
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: i8

there are a zillion discussions about this
      12-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
BMWJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

yes a zillion times
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
burakkose
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

m3 exhaust stuff always diversifies into a million aspects, akra is great sound, performance and quality material. some will vote for other stuff "as they like".
in the end it's all about what YOU like and not us.

with all my good will, all I can suggest to you is to get a loud axle back and nothing else, or get a relatively quiet exhaust with x-pipe.
akra evo drones, tried, tested. performance? did not really feel the advantage of the weight reduction. but that's my opinion anyway.
i think 99% of the complete systems drone. it disturbs me, but you may like it.
imo i like the tone of m perf and akra slip on. i hate drones. imo the other too loud exhausts look like a peugeot 106 gti with really loud exhaust mods....
      12-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

Never been discussed before.
      12-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
I probably would've bought Akra Evo if it weren't so god damned expensive. I've been married 15 years and with her for 20 years. I don't know how to approach a conversation with her that starts, "I wanna buy a $6k exhaust system for my car." I commend you guys out there who can but I can't. Secondly, I don't EVER want to give BMWNA an excuse to void my warranty. We all know these folks can get shitty and/or finnicky if they want to. Why risk it IMHO. I went Eisenmann Race because it sounds perfect to me, it's rear section only and the price was what I was willing to pay. You can get these used now for a bargain. Debatable whether ANY rear section makes power but my throttle response is much improved along with the sound of the car.
This exhaust sounds so right I doubt I'd change if warranty or price were irrelevant.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)

Last edited by PhillyNate; 12-02-2012 at 07:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 x2

Are we trying with another exhaust thread? I mean tu serio?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
Munit
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

M-performance is "race-proven"? That is your criteria I think m-performance should be off the list.

If you want zero drone the best option is absolutely stock rear muffler with HFC's xpipe. Get a great sound with zero drone

If you want loud, get hfc xpipe with E race.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #9
S656MT
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit View Post
M-performance is "race-proven"? That is your criteria I think m-performance should be off the list.

If you want zero drone the best option is absolutely stock rear muffler with HFC's xpipe. Get a great sound with zero drone

If you want loud, get hfc xpipe with E race.
hmmmm...I said "race proven" was a variable I was considering, of course some of them are not. The "list" is everything I wanted to analyze with those considerations in mind.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #10
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by burakkose View Post
m3 exhaust stuff always diversifies into a million aspects, akra is great sound, performance and quality material. some will vote for other stuff "as they like".
in the end it's all about what YOU like and not us.

with all my good will, all I can suggest to you is to get a loud axle back and nothing else, or get a relatively quiet exhaust with x-pipe.
akra evo drones, tried, tested. performance? did not really feel the advantage of the weight reduction. but that's my opinion anyway.
i think 99% of the complete systems drone. it disturbs me, but you may like it.
imo i like the tone of m perf and akra slip on. i hate drones. imo the other too loud exhausts look like a peugeot 106 gti with really loud exhaust mods....
It does not drone and most others with the Evo would agree, though that is subjective so maybe you are particularly sensitive. As for performance, weight reduction is a small part of that (nice to have but hard to notice.) The real benefit is from the x-pipe and it delivers material gains in hp and torque (not the only x-pipe with this bene...)

The Evo is too expensive new IMO, but I was patient and got decent prices on both the rear section and x-pipe separately. At the end of the day hard to argue with the quality, sound (just right volume and tone), fit, and is very light.
      12-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #11
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

loud and no drone= supersprint

Drone and very loud- gintani
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #12
ms372
White Shark
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 m3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
loud and no drone= supersprint

Drone and very loud- gintani
supersprint and gintani are indifferent leagues i thing all loud race exhaust will drone no matter who makes them especially around 2k-3k. supersprint sounds tame went compared to something like gintani

you want no drone get something quite with a deeper tone.. stay away from any catless setup as it will always drone no matter what.
ESS | Challenge x-pipe | Akrapovic | Stoptech BBK (380/355) |Ohlins R&T | Dinan | Vorsteiner | Downforce USA | Varis Diffuser | Gintani | UUC | BMW Performance | Macht Schnell | Forgestar F14's SDC 19x9.5F 19x11R | 255.35 295.30

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #13
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I'd like to see dyno results since claims vary widely. BMW claims no gains for its performance rear exhaust, AA claims around 10 hp, someone reported that Eisenmann Race was worth 15 rwhp, and Akra claims something like 3 rwhp, but I don't think I have seen any dyno tests.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 06:49 AM   #14
S656MT
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I'd like to see dyno results since claims vary widely. BMW claims no gains for its performance rear exhaust, AA claims around 10 hp, someone reported that Eisenmann Race was worth 15 rwhp, and Akra claims something like 3 rwhp, but I don't think I have seen any dyno tests.
Read a bit more closely, there isn't a claim to every exhaust I reviewed having dyno results/power increase etc. I had a list of factors and some exhaust did well and some very poorly.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #15
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Eurotuner Magazine has tested the following cat-backs....AFE = No gain; BMW M Performance = +2-3 hp avg (+5 hp on best run); and Gruppe M titanium +3 hp avg (+5 hp best run). In addition to hp gains, area under the curve in both hp and tq was slightly better at 2-3.5k RPMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #16
burakkose
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
It does not drone and most others with the Evo would agree, though that is subjective so maybe you are particularly sensitive. As for performance, weight reduction is a small part of that (nice to have but hard to notice.) The real benefit is from the x-pipe and it delivers material gains in hp and torque (not the only x-pipe with this bene...)

The Evo is too expensive new IMO, but I was patient and got decent prices on both the rear section and x-pipe separately. At the end of the day hard to argue with the quality, sound (just right volume and tone), fit, and is very light.
i got bmw m performance. it rocks.
      12-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #17
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
Eurotuner Magazine has tested the following cat-backs....AFE = No gain; BMW M Performance = +2-3 hp avg (+5 hp on best run); and Gruppe M titanium +3 hp avg (+5 hp best run). In addition to hp gains, area under the curve in both hp and tq was slightly better at 2-3.5k RPMs.
In order to prove out such a small gain manufacturers do very extensive dyno work under controlled conditions along with a careful analysis of the very comprehensive data they took simultaneously. Only in this way can they account for ambient temperature, humidity, intake temperature, coolant temperature, engine oil temperature, transmission temperature, differential temperature, air fuel ratio, differing moments of inertia, loading, dyno calibration, and many more factors.

When someone takes a set of cans, makes a few runs on a dyno, and says 2 or 3 hp increase the correct translation is that they were not able to prove out any increase whatsoever as the runs fell within normal run to run dyno variability. It is meaningless.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #18
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by S656MT View Post
I've been doing research on all full exhaust options up to $6,000. Going between axle back, to full system, etc. The goal was to find one that balanced the following:

Objective Factors (NOTE: Many exhausts did not score points in several factors. These are simply factors I used to evaluate each exhaust I thought were interesting to me.)
[] R&D
[] Race proven / heritage
[] Dyno proven
[] Durable / Quality Materials (plus is exotic/titanium)
[] OEM Fitment
[] Price point
[] Positive forum reviews

*Sound was a factor, but to me, the above balance are the objective elements I wanted to sort out and decide from there to see if sound could override a decision.

Reviewed: EVOLVE Valvetronic, IPE Valvetronic, Akrapovic Evolution, Eisenmann, Meisterschaft, BMW M Perf., Fabspeed, Challenge, Active Autowerke, DINAN, Kreissieg. Full systems and axle back only.

After all the research I ended up with one exhaust that was still KING across above factors - the Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust system. It aces all factors and considering what you get, price wise it's actually a value leader.

Does anyone have other thoughts to add? Just curious if other people when considering such factors would come up with another result.
I was in the same boat, I also compared the akrapovic, ipe, eisenmann, and evolve. I drove a car with these setups and hands down the evolve unit, I love being able to change the tone. But I guess that's just me. Also another note is, is the car bare able in all driving situations?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #19
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Don't disagree on cat-backs; was responding to question on whether there were any dynos out there and the ones highlighted there showed modest gains, whether you believe them or not...what I did find interesting were some differences in areas under the curve at low rpms (and some losing power in this range), but again all within the margin of error. Of course anyone looking to add real hp, shouldn't be looking at cat-backs period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
In order to prove out such a small gain manufacturers do very extensive dyno work under controlled conditions along with a careful analysis of the very comprehensive data they took simultaneously. Only in this way can they account for ambient temperature, humidity, intake temperature, coolant temperature, engine oil temperature, transmission temperature, differential temperature, air fuel ratio, differing moments of inertia, loading, dyno calibration, and many more factors.

When someone takes a set of cans, makes a few runs on a dyno, and says 2 or 3 hp increase the correct translation is that they were not able to prove out any increase whatsoever as the runs fell within normal run to run dyno variability. It is meaningless.

Last edited by FogCityM3; 12-09-2012 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 0