BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #23
GAM3OVR85
Major General
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 Sea-Doo RXT-X 260  [9.00]
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshare325 View Post
steal the test...
lol...once i stole a math test in grade 11 and i failed .

Imagine if u steal the test and u waste ur time memorizing the answers, then u find out that its a different exam .
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 11:55 PM   #24
xxballinboi786
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
hey man hows your car? did you find out to be the fuel pump?

this is my first year at college at NYU. i pulled off a 3.4 and a 1880 on the sat.

i highly do recommed you get a tutor and take lots of practices and learn to use your time wisely.

although tututors have different effects on everyone for me it helped alot. first sat i got was 1330 and the my 2nd was a 1780 and last i got 1880. so overall the tutuor got me an extra 550 plus i believe an 9 on my essay.

i also recommend you take the math satII as that shit was easy. i also took the chemistry one as well. i was a chemistery>physics kid in highschool .

i have a few friends that kind of "gave up" studying and are now in a community for 1-2 years and transfering. but hey if you can save yourself the 1/2 year of make up studying and paying tuition for you to transfer thats also great too.
thanks a lot man if you convert your gpa from 0-4 to 0-100 what would it be? my GPA is dropping fast, and im going to talk to my guidance counselor to see what kind of grades im gonna need to get for the next 2 marking periods to get it back up to at least a 90...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 11:56 PM   #25
ToothDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 TTS, CLA 45 AMG

Join the math team. I was in the math team and we all got 800's in math. My verbal sucked at 610 - but then again, I didn't speak a word of engrish until I was 6 or so. Or, like the other dude said.. sit next to an Asian dude. LOL No really, the math section is pretty easy - just algebra and geometry. After you take enough practice tests, you'll start to see patterns. They ask the same types/similar stuff over and over again. Learn the tricks - sometimes it's faster to rule out wrong answers than it is to figure out the correct answer. Sometimes it's faster go guess an answer and plug it into the formula until you find the correct one. The verbal part - just memorize Webster's dictionary and practice. For the reading comprehension part - learn to read fast. I used to take a quick glance at the questions prior to reading article so I could pick out some answers quickly initially and the rest of the answers you can just hunt for them in the articles. What's really important is practicing your test-taking stamina. Also, make sure you get good rest before the exam - establish good sleeping/eating habits prior to the actual test. Night before, relax, do some exercise or play a game to wear you out so you can fall asleep. Don't take sleeping pills cuz you'll be groggy next morning. Don't have crazy wild sex and pass out and hit your head on the wall and get a concussion and have to take a major test with a concussion/migraine next morning. I hope this helps...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 12:19 AM   #26
RenaultOne
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 328i Jet Black

I took the SAT and IMO i did absolutely HORRID. I got a 1780 the first time and then a 1730 the second time...yea i actually scored lower overall the 2nd time but i did better on the reading part I did well on SAT Subject Test for US History got a 720, but did a horrific job on the SAT Subject Test for Literature (i think i got a 610). If you want to get a high score on a standardized test TAKE THE ACT it is SO much easier than the SAT even though the Science part might be a little confusing with its convoluted questions and graphs. I got a 27 which is equivalent to 1860-1910 on the SAT. Even though schools tell you the SAT "isn't" a big factor in your admissions process IT IS. I recommend you take extracurricular activities to boost your chances of getting into your dream school!

And BTW i didnt take any SAT classes, had no time because of my extracurricular activities. And i applied to Stanford and three IVY Leagues (Brown, U Penn, and Cornell). I have "minority status" so that should help me out a lot.
      01-27-2008, 12:26 AM   #27
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Take them cold. Studying won't help you. If you haven't learned it by now you aren't going to learn much more for the test. It measures your cumulative knowledge, you don't study for something like that. I took them cold and did quite well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothDoc View Post
No really, the math section is pretty easy - just algebra and geometry.
Both sections are pretty much a cakewalk imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 01:38 AM   #28
xxballinboi786
Captain
Rep

i think for the first time (may) im just gonna get the SAT prep book from barnes and nobles and take few practice tests before...no matter how bad/well i do, im gonna take Kaplan classes (or if you guys reccomend another program)..im kinda scared about my GPA...do you guys think that if i do really well, they might overlook my potentially 80-85 average (im working to get it back to a 90...i really shouldnt of have slacked off the first half of this year
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 01:57 AM   #29
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxballinboi786 View Post
i think for the first time (may) im just gonna get the SAT prep book from barnes and nobles and take few practice tests before...no matter how bad/well i do, im gonna take Kaplan classes (or if you guys reccomend another program)..im kinda scared about my GPA...do you guys think that if i do really well, they might overlook my potentially 80-85 average (im working to get it back to a 90...i really shouldnt of have slacked off the first half of this year
really depends on where you plan to apply. you might also want to figure out what the average school your planning to apply to requires you to take in terms of SAT/SAT2/ACT...might also want to figure out what their average GPA is. GPA isn't everything... essays usually count for alot more than people would think.

and for those who are tellin you to wing it... i wouldnt. these days students are getting more and more competitive.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 02:01 AM   #30
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4

Garage List
I would say take the ACT, but if you're applying to schools in your area, they'll wonder why you didn't take the SAT. In either case, schools are using it less and less as a benchmark. Your GPA matters a lot more so you probably should bring that up.

I scored a 1520 (1600 scale) with self-prep, but it's an exam that you should learn the tricks for and read into how/why they're asking the question. It's as hard as you make it out to be. The more you read the types of questions they ask, the better you get at it. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be scoring consistently higher.

Kaplan and the Princeton Review will only take you so far. You're by no means guaranteed a better score, even though they say they do. I've had friends who used them and scored the same or worse because of it.

In the end, it's all on you. Study hard, practice every book you can, and take it at least twice, and good luck!

Edit :: What year are you? Your Junior year GPA and your first semester Senior year GPA counts the most. If at the very least your Senior year GPA starts out well, then you'll improve your chances of getting into a better school. Colleges like to see improvement, and at the very least if you show that you're better off.

Z4 sdrive30i | Deep Sea Blue | Ivory White Nappa Extended Leather | ZSP
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 02:04 AM   #31
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
and for those who are tellin you to wing it... i wouldnt. these days students are getting more and more competitive.
Not studying doesn't constitute "winging it" imo. Taking the test cold avoids burnout and stress. To be perfectly honest I enjoy taking the SAT (only took it twice) it's kind of fun. Finish a section and people watch during the left over time, infinitely amusing.

If you stress over it you'll do poorly. Make sure you take it at least twice but not more than three times. If you've paid attention in class and worked, you'll be fine. 80-85 average? That's what, a 2.3-2.5? That's definitely going to hurt. I suggest you work as hard as you can for the rest of your time in school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 03:03 AM   #32
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
Not studying doesn't constitute "winging it" imo. Taking the test cold avoids burnout and stress. To be perfectly honest I enjoy taking the SAT (only took it twice) it's kind of fun. Finish a section and people watch during the left over time, infinitely amusing.

If you stress over it you'll do poorly. Make sure you take it at least twice but not more than three times. If you've paid attention in class and worked, you'll be fine. 80-85 average? That's what, a 2.3-2.5? That's definitely going to hurt. I suggest you work as hard as you can for the rest of your time in school.
taking the test cold... wouldnt that mean not preparing for it? thats what i understood it to mean... which i believe to be "winging it" as well. of course you don't want to burn yourself out... thats why its always good to prepare months before hand... not sure when you took ur SATs, but i know these days, expectations are only growing... i mean right now my biggest fear in terms of standardized tests is getting a really good score at mCATs. anybody can ace the mCATs and have a GPA--after that its just what you do besides studying... such as volunteering, working, internships, etc.

lol SATs usually dont have anything to do with what you learn in highschool... well for me at least. reading comprehension and those writing questions were major problems for me yet i did pretty well in english in my later years in highschool. math was easy but that was because i was beyond algebra and trig i was doing multivariate calculus junior year.

i think the guy means B- to B GPA which would mean 2.7-3.0 based on public school grade point average.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 12:44 PM   #33
xxballinboi786
Captain
Rep

just found a conversion chart online:

GPA Conversion Chart:
4.0 95-100 A
3.9 94 A
3.8 93 A
3.7 92 A
3.6 91 A
3.5 90 A
3.4 89 B
3.3 88 B
3.2 87 B
3.1 86 B
3.0 85 B
2.9 84 B
2.8 83 B
2.7 82 B
2.6 81 B
2.5 80 B
2.4 79 C
2.3 78 C
2.2 77 C
2.1 76 C
2.0 75 C
1.9 74 C
1.8 73 C
1.7 72 C
1.6 71 C
1.5 70 C

my GPA is approximately a 3.0 right now (WHICH SUCKS...im still beating myself up over being an idiot)...im gonna try my best to bring it to at least a 3.5...

i hope to get AT LEAST a 2000 by the time im done with the SATs...i think my extra curriculars are pretty good...ill list them, please lemme know what you guys think of them, and what you think i can add in the next half year...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #34
xxballinboi786
Captain
Rep

Cross country 1 year
JV football 1 year
Varsity football 2 years
Habitat for Humanity 3 years
Student Government President 2 years (ill be running again next year, hopefully ill win)
Head of Yonkers salvation army food drive

and there are some other things, such as voulnteering at hospitals, nursing homes, etc..

what can i add that might help me stand out when applying to colleges? thanks a lot guys!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #35
Ryan@Motorwerks
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M

Your essay can make you stand out a lot as a candidate. If you spend a lot of time working on it and do something original, they will remember you. I really recommend reading "On Writing the College Application Essay: The Key to Acceptance and the College of your Choice" by Harry Bauld. Of course an essay won't make miracles happen, but it will certainly help when you are in the "gray" area between being a clear acceptance and clear denial.

Try spending some of your summer either working or volunteering or studying abroad. That is something that can still be done with your limited time.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 02:44 PM   #36
david1026
Lawyers - We're like well dressed ninjas.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I took it on my 18th bday, hungover as shit, and I got a 1480 back in October of '02. The trick is to just relax, the people who tense up and second guess themselves always fuck it up. When I was in about 4th grade my dad told me to go with my first answer and stick with it, and that has served me well so far. I'm in Law School now, so I've seen my share of tests over the years. You can't cram for any test really, it has to be a natural assimilation of the material over a week, a month, etc. When do you take the test? If you're going for the April date, start studying now, get the CD and do practice tests on your computer. Actually READ the books and then have someone time you on the practice tests. Go somewhere uncomfortable when you do it, because you won't be in a "happy place" during the test, that's for sure. I graduated high school with a 3.8 (I slacked a few classes that didn't interest me), undergrad with a 3.6 (again, same deal), and I've got a 3.5 in Law School now. What it ultimately comes down to is you have to decide if you're willing to "pay your dues" now and put in the time and effort to study, not just for this test, but for everything in school, so you can reap the benefits later on in life. Ultimately everyone has to make that call for themselves, and I'm certain if you buckle down now with time to spare, you'll do just fine.

David
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #37
david1026
Lawyers - We're like well dressed ninjas.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I guess I should say when I took the SAT it was out of 1600 still.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 03:28 PM   #38
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

i remember i took the ACT for the first time and thought that shit was a joke lol. im not saying i did well on it the first time but compared to the sat, its just longer and has science questions, etc.

i too was deciding if i should go act or sat route. but when i thought about it my grade is only a 3.4 and if i took act and applied for schools what would they think it compared to me just taking sat?

so i just took sat and landed in NYU. took 18 credits 1st semester and now im doing 16.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 04:48 PM   #39
xxballinboi786
Captain
Rep

Quote:
i remember i took the ACT for the first time and thought that shit was a joke lol. im not saying i did well on it the first time but compared to the sat, its just longer and has science questions, etc.

i too was deciding if i should go act or sat route. but when i thought about it my grade is only a 3.4 and if i took act and applied for schools what would they think it compared to me just taking sat?

so i just took sat and landed in NYU. took 18 credits 1st semester and now im doing 16.
very nice man...NYU is a great school...what do you plan on majoring in?? and would you by any chance know the average SAT and GPA for acceptance to NYU?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 04:58 PM   #40
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxballinboi786 View Post
very nice man...NYU is a great school...what do you plan on majoring in?? and would you by any chance know the average SAT and GPA for acceptance to NYU?
go to your library or book store and buy the princeton review college book. it will display you all the avg scores, tuition, etc needed.

currently i am majoring in business . i would say on avg as long as you have a 3.2+ and a good sat score of 1750+ you have a chance of getting in. anything 3.4+ and 1800+ sat is a major possibility.

but like i said, look in the college book man. lots of info there with everything you need. race %s, commuters, ethnicity %s, etc. its about $50-$60 or you can borrow from library.

will i be seeing you at NYU next year

o and take at least one satII. like i said if your good at math, take it. its pretty easy.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #41
BMW_E90
Major
Rep
Drives: 325i

Sat After School Helped Me A Lot
      01-27-2008, 07:28 PM   #42
xxballinboi786
Captain
Rep

Quote:
go to your library or book store and buy the princeton review college book. it will display you all the avg scores, tuition, etc needed.

currently i am majoring in business . i would say on avg as long as you have a 3.2+ and a good sat score of 1750+ you have a chance of getting in. anything 3.4+ and 1800+ sat is a major possibility.

but like i said, look in the college book man. lots of info there with everything you need. race %s, commuters, ethnicity %s, etc. its about $50-$60 or you can borrow from library.

will i be seeing you at NYU next year

o and take at least one satII. like i said if your good at math, take it. its pretty easy.
lets hope so man...NYU and UPENN are my top 2 choices...well, make that 2 years, im still a junior
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 08:31 PM   #43
khafner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Its been said before in many different ways. If you want the grades you must put in the time. Study. For a test like the SAT I prefer to just keep going over old tests. Finally you'll see the trends. My way of going thru a test is to look up each answer and to also understand why the other answers are wrong. I must of looked for about a year to find one answer. Get enough sleep for the week before. That's like 8 hours a night. Our brains work better and we learn more that way. Don't ever think that you'll ever learn all the new knowledge you need by craming. It never works. degress BS MPH MD
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 09:29 PM   #44
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeClothing View Post
Sit next to an asian kid
+1