BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
VtecforV8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Advice from Engine Noise Gurus

All,

I have a 2010 E92 (built 12/09) with 48,000 mi that I've owned for the last 30 months or so. I'm the second owner and have maintained it well to date and have performed annual TWS oil changes. It's a weekend car, so I've only put about 12,000 spirited miles on it myself (on 93 octane and without exceeding 3K rpm until oil is warmed up.) and can't personally vouch for the first ~35k, though the service printout indicates that the first owner did have all required services done in a timely fashion and my PPI revealed no issues.

With that background and the increasing discussion regarding bearing issues, I've become more and more nervous about any new sounds from the engine bay. In the last month or so, I've noticed at times what I perceive to be an often irregular ticking sound at idle (after things are warmed up). I've tried to listen as I vary the rpms for any kind of corresponding increase in frequency/volume, but I haven't been able to pick up on any variance. That being said, I finally got around to taking a cell phone video from both inside the engine bay (first on the right and then on the left side of the engine) and from under the front left wheel well.

My plan had been to tear things open at ~60k (which would be late 2016 for me) and see how the bearings look / replace with treated bearings, but I find myself wondering if I should accelerate that timeline. Unfortunately, no Blackstone to go on. (Had oil changed at the dealer last week and they forgot to fill up the sample bottle despite assuring me that they would. Talk about bad timing for a screw-up.) I'm not particularly keen on major engine service, so I obviously don't want to change things for no reason.

I hoped some of the forum's knowledgeable members might chime in and let me know whether, based on their experience, I might have something to worry about or whether I'm just another paranoid owner. There's a pronounced and consistent tick in the engine bay, but from what I'm reading, it seems like that may be typical. The noises from under the car seem more troubling.

Apologies for the long thread, but I'd truly appreciate any help. Would love to keep this car for the long haul. Thanks very much.

Last edited by VtecforV8; 10-10-2014 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: Octane info.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
ciges
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 IB SLICKTOP 6MT

Is that a gun shot at 0:53 ?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
FRFNUGN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Only listen if you have Sennheiser headphones - otherwise you won't be able to hear the noise!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 03:40 PM   #4
VtecforV8
Private First Class
Rep

Will try to get a better video (i.e., outside of a noisy garage) this weekend. In the interim, any constructive feedback is certainly appreciated, particularly from the many members who have experienced failures/early indications of bearing wear. Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Hard to tell from video, but the actual ticking - regular is the only one I can hear- sound like perfectly normal injection tick to me mate...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
VtecforV8
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks very much. The normal, consistent, ticking is very audible, I agree. I'll get a better video of what's concerning me. Appreciate your time!

Last edited by VtecforV8; 10-10-2014 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 05:07 PM   #7
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtecforV8 View Post
All,

I have a 2010 E92 (built 12/09) with 48,000 mi that I've owned for the last 30 months or so. I'm the second owner and have maintained it well to date and have performed annual TWS oil changes. It's a weekend car, so I've only put about 12,000 spirited miles on it myself (on 93 octane and without exceeding 3K rpm until oil is warmed up.) and can't personally vouch for the first ~35k, though the service printout indicates that the first owner did have all required services done in a timely fashion and my PPI revealed no issues.

With that background and the increasing discussion regarding bearing issues, I've become more and more nervous about any new sounds from the engine bay. In the last month or so, I've noticed at times what I perceive to be an often irregular ticking sound at idle (after things are warmed up). I've tried to listen as I vary the rpms for any kind of corresponding increase in frequency/volume, but I haven't been able to pick up on any variance. That being said, I finally got around to taking a cell phone video from both inside the engine bay (first on the right and then on the left side of the engine) and from under the front left wheel well.

My plan had been to tear things open at ~60k (which would be late 2016 for me) and see how the bearings look / replace with treated bearings, but I find myself wondering if I should accelerate that timeline. Unfortunately, no Blackstone to go on. (Had oil changed at the dealer last week and they forgot to fill up the sample bottle despite assuring me that they would. Talk about bad timing for a screw-up.) I'm not particularly keen on major engine service, so I obviously don't want to change things for no reason.

I hoped some of the forum's knowledgeable members might chime in and let me know whether, based on their experience, I might have something to worry about or whether I'm just another paranoid owner. There's a pronounced and consistent tick in the engine bay, but from what I'm reading, it seems like that may be typical. The noises from under the car seem more troubling.

Apologies for the long thread, but I'd truly appreciate any help. Would love to keep this car for the long haul. Thanks very much.
I think it is normal
      10-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #8
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRFNUGN View Post
Only listen if you have Sennheiser headphones - otherwise you won't be able to hear the noise!
Think you are waiting for me and my Sennheiser !
So I put my Sennheiser on it's actualy a habit of me , and need to say that the ticking noise is louder than usual ,so the ticking noise is louder than average S65 .
But the ticking noise sounds synchronously with the moment of increasing of rpm's ,and so it's normal but like I said louder than avarage S65 , reason is maybe loud recording sound of the video .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #9
VtecforV8
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks to all for the replies. Didn't get a chance to take the car out this weekend, but I'll post back with a better video soon. Really appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #10
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtecforV8 View Post
Thanks to all for the replies. Didn't get a chance to take the car out this weekend, but I'll post back with a better video soon. Really appreciate it!
Ok ,I will listen again to a better video .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 07:01 PM   #11
terahertz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 AW

Are you talking about the chug chug chug sound under the car? Mine does that too and I was slightly paranoid about that as well... It's slower than the tick tick tick of what I think are the injectors.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #12
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

When you depress the clutch at idle, does the ticking noise go away? If so, then normal.
Appreciate 0