BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

12-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #1
bmobile
Private
Rep
Drives: e93

Turner Test Pipes Installed on M3 E93 by Sonic MS

I recently had SonicMS in MountainView source and install the Turner Test Pipes on my M3 E93. The process went pretty smoothly. One of the issues that we discussed was whether the clamps could be used to re-clamp the primary cats back on once I'm off the "track." Since test pipes are for track-use only...Eric and his technician confirmed that they created enough space during the cut, to allow the oem clamps to be used, i.e. no welding required when primaries go back on- only clamps needed that's a relief. hopefully it'll actually work-out when comes time.

It's been quite wet out, so I haven't had a chance to push the car too much, but here are my first impressions:

Turner Test Pipes w/ OEM exhaust-
1) Idle/Cold Start- Sounds stock at idle- slightly louder at cold start but it isn't too bad. (I wouldn't get a tune JUST for the cold start delete)
2) Smell- I can barely smell any difference- Remember, the secondary 200 cells are still intact, as well as resonators and muffler.
3) Sound Volume- normal during easy driving, but when pushed, it's definitely louder, but not like "hey look at me! I'm so cool!" loud... its meaningful volume, nothing more.
4) Tone- ...hmmm my first reaction was not immediately positive. I kinda like the increase in volume, a bit more "rawness", but there are sections in the rpm band during WOT that I wouldn't necessarily describe as "music to my ears." I'm not sure how to describe it, slightly raspy or echoey if that's a word (during 3.5k-4.5k rpm). My friends love it. Maybe I just need to hear it more....
5) Power- I can definitely feel the power gains and that's from only casual to spirited driving so far.
So far, I am happy with the mod. For under $600 (parts+tax+labor), I think it's one of the best value mods for the S65.

Next, I would like to get a tune(BPM, ESS, VF, etc.) but find it difficult to justify spending $1k on SOFTWARE....does anyone know if the price usually include maintenance, customer support, upgrades, etc. for a defined number of years? It's not like we can sell the tune in the secondary market when/if we want/need to return back to stock to make back some of the costs right? Anyways, having a background in software sales, I need someone to really pitch to me the value of a tune...

Last edited by bmobile; 12-24-2012 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
anacondatp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 10' E92 M3 6MT, 15' F15 X5 35i

cool. do you have pic of how far the cats are cut out? it will help a lot since a lot of people including me want to swap the stock cats back on comes time for smog
      12-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacondatp View Post
cool. do you have pic of how far the cats are cut out? it will help a lot since a lot of people including me want to swap the stock cats back on comes time for smog
+1 on pics. It would be great if we can avoid welding part and use clamps.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
bmobile
Private
Rep

I'll try taking picture of the cats and posting them.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
bmobile
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
+1 on pics. It would be great if we can avoid welding part and use clamps.
Here are the primary cats, supposedly cut so clamps can be used later...To be clear, I have not personally tested or seen whether the clamps will work with the primaries, but was told by Sonic that they made the cuts so I can return to stock more easily by using the clamps... Hope the picture helps...

BTW- I properly tested out the new testpipes today. 3 comments:

1) Love the power gains....
2) Sounds throaty and nice in the lower half of the RPM band
3) Sounds like SHIT at WOT between 6k-redline....Granted, I had the top down but it's extremely ra-ra-raspy and stupid loud, I couldn't hear myself think....

I'll give it a few more weeks and decide if I need a new muffler or something to tone down the ra-ra-rasp....
Attached Images

Last edited by bmobile; 12-24-2012 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
Fen335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster

^ I recommend a no-drone muffler to compliment your test pipes...you can probably find a used Dinan that would work well. You won't regret it. You probably want something that's not going to "add" much more volume, just change the tone a bit. That's what the Dinan will do...it will add some volume, but not much. It would be more of a change in overall tone (for the better).
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
325rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 6mt

nice upgrade! I remember having these same sound woes in my e46.

in for brainstorming/outcomes.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
querhoch
Rep
Drives: honda

You probably want something that's not going to "add" much more volume, just change the tone a bit. That's what the Dinan will do...it will add some volume, but not much.[img]http://www.forexconversion.info/g.gif[/img
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
325rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by querhoch View Post
You probably want something that's not going to "add" much more volume, just change the tone a bit. That's what the Dinan will do...it will add some volume, but not much.[img]http://www.forexconversion.info/g.gif[/img
Dinan muffler only emits exhaust gas from one pipe on each side. Just letting OP know
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
Munit
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Its funny how some people hate the sound of catless m3's and others as myself think it is absolutely heavenly. If you like a race-car sound than you simply can't beat it.

Go watch some youtube's on the DTM m3 race-car and you will hear that its identical to what your car sounds like.

Maybe if you change your perspective and realize the raw raspy note of the exhaust is the sound of a completely unhindered 8400 rpm s65 engine at work-mechanical noise at its best. High pitched and raspy, not unlike ferrari's etc.

If you hate it than really adding another muffler won't do much except make it louder and alter the tone a bit.

If you hate the sound just reverse back as the 15-20hp is not worth hating the sound in a vert.

I mean if you are not in heaven when at 7-8400 rpms listening to the sound than you made the wrong move. The best part of the experience in this car is redlining it to hear the sound.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #11
Top_Gear
Private
Rep
Drives: M3-E90-6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit View Post
Maybe if you change your perspective and realize the raw raspy note of the exhaust is the sound of a completely unhindered 8400 rpm s65 engine at work-mechanical noise at its best. High pitched and raspy, not unlike ferrari's etc.

... The best part of the experience in this car is redlining it to hear the sound.
Wow, I could NOT disagree more. "Change your prospective" to like something that you normaly don't.

I am in the same boat as the OP, the last thing I want to hear is some awful raspy sounds coming out of my M3 at WOT. Thank you OP for turning me away from this mod and saving me the $600 plus the $$ to return it back to stock.

Meanwhile I am still trying to convince my self that an Acra Evo at $6000 is a better deal than this straight-piping the cat section
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #12
bmobile
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit View Post
Its funny how some people hate the sound of catless m3's and others as myself think it is absolutely heavenly. If you like a race-car sound than you simply can't beat it.

Go watch some youtube's on the DTM m3 race-car and you will hear that its identical to what your car sounds like.

If you hate it than really adding another muffler won't do much except make it louder and alter the tone a bit.

If you hate the sound just reverse back as the 15-20hp is not worth hating the sound in a vert.

I mean if you are not in heaven when at 7-8400 rpms listening to the sound than you made the wrong move. The best part of the experience in this car is redlining it to hear the sound.
you've got a very good point. i'm going to try it out for a few weeks...good chance I may grow to appreciate it, as I will definitely NOT give up those 15-20hp

btw, CEL came on today...the dash looked looked like a Christmas tree when parking with MDM, M, SES, seatbelt, brake, headlight symbols, etc. all lit up!

edit: just saw BPM's group buy posting. may go with this

Last edited by bmobile; 12-24-2012 at 11:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 12:27 AM   #13
KudosM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit

What he said

I'm sure it'll grow on you

YMB M4 Journal : http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1144574

IG: fc_r3lxd
Appreciate 0