BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #23
number335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe

HTC Passion should be coming out in January. From the articles, it sounds like it's HTC's version of the droid and their next flagship phone. It also looks nicer than the droid. The droid seems large and heavy to me. I like the droid, but i want a smaller phone and the passion looks more compact.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #24
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post

how much is your plan anyways? Is it a extra $30 for data + $30 for text like iphone?
ATT has a $50 Unlimited Everything plan (data+text) FYI. If you're paying the two seperate charges you should combine them and save $10/mo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by number335 View Post
HTC Passion should be coming out in January. From the articles, it sounds like it's HTC's version of the droid and their next flagship phone. It also looks nicer than the droid. The droid seems large and heavy to me. I like the droid, but i want a smaller phone and the passion looks more compact.
The Droid is anything but "large and heavy". It's very slim. I'm looking at the HTC Touch Pro 2 currently, which is certainly of your description... but the droid is quite tiny. Go play with one. I would purchase it if the keyboard wasn't (imo) crap.
      12-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #25
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

How is 2.0.1 going to be pushed out? Is it going to come up in the notification bar?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #26
number335
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec 1 View Post
ATT has a $50 Unlimited Everything plan (data+text) FYI. If you're paying the two seperate charges you should combine them and save $10/mo.

The Droid is anything but "large and heavy". It's very slim. I'm looking at the HTC Touch Pro 2 currently, which is certainly of your description... but the droid is quite tiny. Go play with one. I would purchase it if the keyboard wasn't (imo) crap.
I believe the HTC Touch Pro 2 has a qrty keyboard which makes it clunky. The HTC Passion doesn't have one which makes it slimmer. I've seen the Droid and it is to big for my taste. I prefer a phone that i can carry in my pocket.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #27
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
How is 2.0.1 going to be pushed out? Is it going to come up in the notification bar?
Yes, I believe so. They sent out the update to 10K people 2 days ago, allowing 2 days to make sure there were no issues. Starting at 12am 12/10 they will begin sending out the first of consequitive days of 200k OTA updates.

Quote:
I believe the HTC Touch Pro 2 has a qrty keyboard which makes it clunky. The HTC Passion doesn't have one which makes it slimmer. I've seen the Droid and it is to big for my taste. I prefer a phone that i can carry in my pocket.
Fits in my pocket just fine. Then again I carry my phone in my back pocket most of the time.

Everyone has their own likes. For me the weight of the phone is what I like. I picked up my coworkers HTC Droid Eris and realized how much I prefer a 'heavier' and larger phone.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 02:51 PM   #28
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
Yes, I believe so. They sent out the update to 10K people 2 days ago, allowing 2 days to make sure there were no issues. Starting at 12am 12/10 they will begin sending out the first of consequitive days of 200k OTA updates.

Fits in my pocket just fine. Then again I carry my phone in my back pocket most of the time.

Everyone has their own likes. For me the weight of the phone is what I like. I picked up my coworkers HTC Droid Eris and realized how much I prefer a 'heavier' and larger phone.
well the droid is also made with metal which it heavy but i like it because i drop my phones often...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 02:59 PM   #29
mach330
You don't know JACK!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
I'm waiting for the OTA. I'm not sure why, but I'm so surprised at how impatient people are for this update. I mean holy crap, just relax for a minute.
i saw some positive signs and i'm impatient so i did it. the phone is much "snappier" now.

Quote:
yeah, you'll see it on your phone automatically to tell you to update. do it manually if your impatient like me.

Below are the instrcutions for applying 2.0.1 manually without waiting for OTA Update.

* Grab this file https://android.clients.google.com/u...0.84263456.zip
* Rename the file to update.zip and place it the root directory of your SD Card.
* Power off the phone.
* Power on the phone, while holding the 'X' on the physical keyboard.
* When you see the triangle and !, press Volume Up + Camera button.
* Navigate to "apply update.zip" and press the gold button (center) on the D-Pad. Now it will install.
* Reboot phone (should take 3-4 minutes).
      12-09-2009, 04:24 PM   #30
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

Quote:
Yes it does. I need a phone with a keyboard since I do a lot of texting/emailing/web surfing. The Droid seems very small to me (slim, perhaps, as the size is on the larger end due to the screen) and would fit in your pocket fine. I cary a Blackjack II currently and have for the last couple years, which is larger than the Droid. I've never had a problem with it being too big for a pocket (though I don't wear tight pants. Do you? ).

The Touch Pro 2 I'm looking at is 6.0 ounces(!!!!) and thicker than my current Blackjack II. It seems as though it may be large for carrying but nonetheless it has all the features I need (touchscreen, QWERTY, MS Office, top-notch conference calling) so I think I'll be headed that route.
      12-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #31
number335
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec 1 View Post
Yes it does. I need a phone with a keyboard since I do a lot of texting/emailing/web surfing. The Droid seems very small to me (slim, perhaps, as the size is on the larger end due to the screen) and would fit in your pocket fine. I cary a Blackjack II currently and have for the last couple years, which is larger than the Droid. I've never had a problem with it being too big for a pocket (though I don't wear tight pants. Do you? ).

The Touch Pro 2 I'm looking at is 6.0 ounces(!!!!) and thicker than my current Blackjack II. It seems as though it may be large for carrying but nonetheless it has all the features I need (touchscreen, QWERTY, MS Office, top-notch conference calling) so I think I'll be headed that route.
i agree with you on the qwerty keyboard. i prefer those over touchscreen and i thought about the palm pre. HTC is also coming out with the expresso, which is supposed to be the upgrade for the HTC Hero with a qwerty keyboard. i may wait for that one to come out also.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #32
TTexan
Verizon Expert
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 JB 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post
Played with one for few hours.. wasn't too impressed. Feels just like my G1 without the track ball.

+ A network that can actually support it's features.

T-mobile + 3G, haha. Get out of here.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #33
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach330 View Post
i saw some positive signs and i'm impatient so i did it. the phone is much "snappier" now.

yeah, you'll see it on your phone automatically to tell you to update. do it manually if your impatient like me.

Below are the instrcutions for applying 2.0.1 manually without waiting for OTA Update.

* Grab this file https://android.clients.google.com/u...0.84263456.zip
* Rename the file to update.zip and place it the root directory of your SD Card.
* Power off the phone.
* Power on the phone, while holding the 'X' on the physical keyboard.
* When you see the triangle and !, press Volume Up + Camera button.
* Navigate to "apply update.zip" and press the gold button (center) on the D-Pad. Now it will install.
* Reboot phone (should take 3-4 minutes).
So does that update change the unlock screen at all? I didn't get any notification for a system update, but I noticed today that I have to move my finger straight across (iPhone style), and I also have to do the same movement to answer a call.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #34
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

Quote:
So does that update change the unlock screen at all? I didn't get any notification for a system update, but I noticed today that I have to move my finger straight across (iPhone style), and I also have to do the same movement to answer a call.
thats the updated verison you probably downloaded it without knowing lol
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 11:46 PM   #35
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
thats the updated verison you probably downloaded it without knowing lol
Sweet, I'll have to check out the release notes. ha

I swear I don't remember acknowledging it, but perhaps I hit something when trying to turn off my alarm this morning.
Appreciate 0