BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Looking for some friendly help - moving out to California

Going for the big change.. I'm wondering if there was anyone here that would be able to guide me in the right direction and maybe even help me out.

I'm planning ahead, so bear with me. I am looking to move this summer (2013) from Michigan to the west side. My concerns are: 1. Finding the correct career. 2. Living expenses and finding the right location. 3. Finding a job for the lady.

I'm coming from the health field with a major in health communications. I've had my fair share of experience over here, but need a change in scenery. I know that HMOs are large over in this area, like Blue Cross Blue Shield.

Is anyone on here working in the health/medical field or know of anyone that would be able to assist me? I am looking for some advice on what kinds of things to look into and maybe if you could help me find a job.

My second concern is the cost of living in Cali and finding a home to live in. I know the costs are up the rear, but if we can find a job, that won't be too much of an issue. We just need an apartment with garages in the suburb.

Third, the lady will need a job too. She has a degree in advertising and PR. So, that may be easy to find, but difficult to get into.

Let me know if anyone can help express some knowledge in our direction. It would mean a lot to us.

Thanks,

Sean.
      02-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
MSPORTWORLD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 MW/FR - '12 M3 FO/SC

Garage List
Best of luck to you!

As a native Californian I miss home very much. Can't help you out much since I haven't lived there for 6 years.

If you plan to go to Northern Cali and need a good realtor I can point you in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
Its_lobelt
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Which part of Cali are you gonna move to?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB_S2K View Post
Which part of Cali are you gonna move to?
+1
It's very different lifestyle and jobs between cities (ie, sf vs. la vs. oc vs. sd).

But all sucks in terms of state tax they're taking. If you're from Michigan, you'll really feel that you're getting raped in every paycheck.

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
uplusd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Don't move, its too expensive
      02-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

You at least need to say where in Cali you're thinking of moving too.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
You at least need to say where in Cali you're thinking of moving too.
^ This

Every part of California is different. You have to keep in mind that California is huge with different weather, people and environments depending on where you are. It takes over 12 hours to drive from one end of California to the other!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Well, that would be the other portion of my dilemma. Being from Michigan, I didn't know it was that big of a difference. I figured it was like here in MI. So, I have concluded with one thing so far. I will definitely fly out and visit both.
      02-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
Dolittle
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 AW M3 DCT

Cost of living here is significant.

I definitely recommend securing a job before making the move here.
More affordable regions to live in socal will be east - Pomona/Riverside/San Bernardino.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolittle View Post
Cost of living here is significant.

I definitely recommend securing a job before making the move here.
More affordable regions to live in socal will be east - Pomona/Riverside/San Bernardino.
Appreciated. Definitely I can find a job by mid summer.
      02-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
Well, that would be the other portion of my dilemma. Being from Michigan, I didn't know it was that big of a difference. I figured it was like here in MI. So, I have concluded with one thing so far. I will definitely fly out and visit both.
If you like to be in a urban city where having a car is optional, San Francisco is like that. It is the city that is most like NYC on the west coast. If you like more suburban environments where you need to drive to get to places, Southern California is more like that.

Here's an example of San Francisco rent:
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
If you like to be in a urban city where having a car is optional, San Francisco is like that. It is the city that is most like NYC on the west coast. If you like more suburban environments where you need to drive to get to places, Southern California is more like that.
Very helpful. I definitely want my car.
Thank you.
      02-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
M3forMe
M3 Dreamin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 - AW

Find the job first. My boss moved from Detroit 2 yes ago. It took him a year to get used to the taxes, high cost of living and horrible traffic. After a year he now says you couldn't pay him enough to leave. He is in NorCal. I am in SoCal. Completely different in my mind.

Find your job and then find your town. NorCal could be even more expensive.

Good luck with your search. I am sure many on here can help answer specific questions.

2013 AW/BLK - DCT, Comp/Cold/Prem
Mods - IND Beauty kit, CF Roundels, CF Splitters, AiB Angel Eyes, EAS Exhaust Tips! B&G lowering springs
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #14
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
Very helpful. I definitely want my car.
Thank you.
The "Bay Area" around San Francisco is surburban so you need a car to get around. Temperate weather with lots of green forests, close access to outdoor activities and great driving roads.

Southern California, in general, has a lower cost of living unless you are in a high cost area. It also has warm to hot weather all year around. The trade off is that there is a ton of traffic and people everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #15
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post

Here's an example of San Francisco rent:
Sorry. Are those Monty fees or fron jan to march (3 months)
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #16
uplusd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3 View Post
Those are definitely just for one month. I used to live in SOMA.
      02-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #17
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Rental fees reflect monthly income. Is it safe to assume that hourly wage is more then other states?
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #18
badazzm
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: RRS GT2

Sf is awesome but just for the weekend. If you like driving your car then you can't live in Sf. Shitty ass roads and always trouble finding parking. San Jose doesn't have much to offer in terms of nightlife compared to Sf but it has nice open roads. If you decide to live in San Jose then it won't get better than where I live (SR). However, I might be moving to OC end of this year to experience L.A for couple of years. I feel like L.A is better than bay area in terms of everything but horrible traffic kills it for me. GL wherever u decide!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #19
badazzm
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: RRS GT2

Quote:
Rental fees reflect monthly income. Is it safe to assume that hourly wage is more then other states?
Well CA minimum wage is $8 i think. Probably higher than other states but not too sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #20
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That's the monthly rent for an appt... does look insane but it's true.

When a 2 bedroom townhouse costs $1M and $500k gets you a 1 bedroom condo, that's why rent is expensive - it is still cheaper than buying!

The minimum wage in SF is $10.50 an hour, it is higher than the California min. wage.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #21
Megabeast
Manual Shift Supporter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 Manual

Garage List
I have been in Bay Area for last 7years.. the cost of living here is just ridiculous...

There was an article somewhere that compared cost of living with SD and SF and on average people living in SF needs to earn $15K-20K more to keep same level of lifestyle.
And SD is not a cheap place to live!

Anyway, the cost of living comparison would be like SF > OC > LA(depends on area) > SD

Btw, getting raped on taxes is one thing... expect to pay the highest gas price in the nation (except Hawaii and Death Valley)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #22
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplusd View Post
Don't move, its too expensive
Would you live anywhere else? Plus, you would have never met the people on FB.

I live in the SF Bay Area. Been out here since 1994. I lived in Scottsdale before that. People are right, Nor Cal in general is much more expensive and has cooler temperatures than So Cal. S Cal has much more traffic/people. I've been all over So Cal, San Diego, OC, LA, and Palm Springs. Great places for me to visit but would never live there myself. I just like Nor Cal too much to move down there. Both Nor/So Cal has its pros and cons, you just need to visit both and figure out what fits your lifestyle.
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0