BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-29-2014, 07:39 AM   #1
xccess
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

shave metal in the engine and car make a lot of engine clunk sound

I have not really drive my M3 and it been park in the garage for last 3 weeks, like usual, I took the car out let it started and sit there for 20-30 minutes. I drove 25 miles to worked, the first 20-23 miles was nothing indicate anything wrong with engine, then it started to have a sound like paper flap in to the high wind, then it get louder like sound of exhaust leak, then it develop into a lot of clunk sound like someone play drum in site the engine.

I had the car tow to BMW dealer and they told me there are a shave metal in there and the engine need to be tear down to find out what wrong. but they advise me it will nee a new engine it rebuild one will cost around 32k... I am bit lost at this point to what to do or what to make of it. anyone my have some clue at what wrong ?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #2
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
See rod bearing threads.

Are you in the USA? Should be able to get a new engine much less than $32k...

By the way, in the future, not recommended to warm-up the engine for more than 30 seconds while it sits in your driveway. This is not the cause of your engine failure, however. Check owner's manual for warm-up recommendation.

Last edited by Beemdog; 09-29-2014 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xccess View Post
I have not really drive my M3 and it been park in the garage for last 3 weeks, like usual, I took the car out let it started and sit there for 20-30 minutes. I drove 25 miles to worked, the first 20-23 miles was nothing indicate anything wrong with engine, then it started to have a sound like paper flap in to the high wind, then it get louder like sound of exhaust leak, then it develop into a lot of clunk sound like someone play drum in site the engine.

I had the car tow to BMW dealer and they told me there are a shave metal in there and the engine need to be tear down to find out what wrong. but they advise me it will nee a new engine it rebuild one will cost around 32k... I am bit lost at this point to what to do or what to make of it. anyone my have some clue at what wrong ?
This is insanity.

I know what wrong ... the engine is fuck.
      09-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

possible rod bearing failure. can you keep us posted on the details of the engine failure
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
This is insanity.

Spot on my friend !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

Please post and add on here ! =>http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786615
Your story sounds like another bearing failure , feel sorry about your luck and feel your pain !
Realy damn these bearings ?!?!
The Ultimate ticking bomb machine.....

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 07:39 PM   #7
JPH704
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Huracan Performante & 720s

Quote:
This is insanity.

^^^
      09-29-2014, 08:35 PM   #8
Sinful
Banned
Rep
Drives: Its black and has 4 wheels

How many miles on your car? What year? Any modifications? Do you track the car?
Have you ever done a Blackstone report? Do you change oil every year?
Trying to find a reason for the engine failure.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 08:39 PM   #9
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3

Quote:
This is insanity.

Are we be troll?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 08:42 PM   #10
SilentAttack
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black 6MT

Ouch, post details please... Seeing alot of this lately on the forums
      09-29-2014, 08:50 PM   #11
PerfM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Space, E92 M3 Techno

Same thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago. You most likely spun a bearing or multiple bearings. Either way this is the worst case scenario in the S65 bearing fiasco.

The question now is do you have warranty?
      09-29-2014, 08:53 PM   #12
Sinful
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAttack View Post
Ouch, post details please... Seeing alot of this lately on the forums
Every time I start to settle in for the long haul with this car, I read another horror story like this.
Really interested to see if he has a high mileage car with a supercharger or if he tracks it allot or something!!??
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 09:21 PM   #13
yangin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Anything we can do to prevent the failure? Can we replace the rod bearings every now and again to avoid a complete engine failure? And if so, what kind of cost are we talking to replace the rod bearings?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 09:36 PM   #14
Brian0473
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 SSII DCT Coupe

Man, some of you guys need sensitivity training. I doubt you would be laughing if it was your engine that grenaded.

Sorry to hear about your plight. Unfortunately it does sound like the rod bearings issue. Only a tear down will tell you for sure which by itself won't be cheap. Hopefully they find something less than a totaled motor.

My old M3:
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 12:08 AM   #15
xccess
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks everyone for replied/comments, at this point I have not ask the dealer to tear down the engine.

My car is 2008 E93 M3 and it got about 88K on it. I do third party extend warranty. but at this point I have not make any contact with them regard the issued.

I will keep everyone post on what the out come will be. I did some research and seem like everyone point to rod bearing...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 02:10 AM   #16
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Why don't you contact your warranty people, get them to pay for the repair.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 02:47 AM   #17
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian0473 View Post
Man, some of you guys need sensitivity training. I doubt you would be laughing if it was your engine that grenaded.

Sorry to hear about your plight. Unfortunately it does sound like the rod bearings issue. Only a tear down will tell you for sure which by itself won't be cheap. Hopefully they find something less than a totaled motor.
i don't have pity for him. Hes got a higher mile high end German car. with a known problem with the bearings. i mean i know it does suck. its like everyone day a bearing thread comes up.

My M3 had 25k miles on it, when i go out of warranty, have high miles, or put a blower on. I will be replacing bearings. or taking setps to reduce my likely hood of failing.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 02:55 AM   #18
xccess
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Why don't you contact your warranty people, get them to pay for the repair.
I had give the information to the dealer and they said they are working on it that why I have not talk to them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
i don't have pity for him. Hes got a higher mile high end German car. with a known problem with the bearings. i mean i know it does suck. its like everyone day a bearing thread comes up.

My M3 had 25k miles on it, when i go out of warranty, have high miles, or put a blower on. I will be replacing bearings. or taking setps to reduce my likely hood of failing.
Not everyone one spent every minutes looking at every forum or does research every cars they own, this is my 6 BMW and all other one never give me any major problems. I am only aware of this bearing issued when my car is in the shop.. beside if I knew this do you think I would let this happen and come here post something or asking ? beside this is just a speculation at this point since I have not have the engine tear down yet...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 08:48 AM   #19
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I had give the information to the dealer and they said they are working on it that why I have not talk to them

Not everyone one spent every minutes looking at every forum or does research every cars they own, this is my 6 BMW and all other one never give me any major problems. I am only aware of this bearing issued when my car is in the shop.. beside if I knew this do you think I would let this happen and come here post something or asking ? beside this is just a speculation at this point since I have not have the engine tear down yet...
If I may ask you...In what country are you ?

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 06:57 PM   #20
Sinful
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post

You wont do any of those things because your buying a Vette - lucky bastard.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #21
xccess
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
If I may ask you...In what country are you ?
U.S.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2014, 08:12 PM   #22
obe100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: on the weekends…

There has to be a common thread regarding this issue…….and I suspect it boils down to impacted owner's beating the $hit out of their car….practically ALL the time - both street and track. Everything has a limit.

For the sake of contradicting myself, I'm sure there are some exceptions, but I'd feel pretty safe betting money that MOST of these issues are driver related.

Also, I have a tough time accepting the claim that 88K miles are considered "high mileage" especially for a "high end" car.

OP - good luck with the repair(s). Pls keep us posted.
Appreciate 0