BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

10-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Any REAL Aftermarket Exhausts?

Maybe I will get flamed for this but I saw one post in all of the exhaust threads that I completely agreed with: that true exotic sports cars don't sound like an American V8 rumbling and grumbling, they sound high pitch while blowing by you.

Are there any exhausts out yet that try to enhance a high pitch tone, rather than some deep, rumbling american V8 sound? The engine of this car sounds like a race car when it blows by you on the track down the stretch at 140mph, love that engine sound. But these exhausts try to turn it into some american V8.

Am I crazy? Am I the only who feels this way? Thanks for the opinions!!

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
White08M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
remus Race exhaust...IMO is the sound ur looking for....i think

E92 ///M3/Alpine White/6MT/Tech/VRS Boot Lid/UUC SSK/H&R Sport Drop/Hamann lip/ Remus Race Exhaust...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
CampioniShop
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by White08M3 View Post
remus Race exhaust...IMO is the sound ur looking for....i think
Roger that

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
Blip Bavarian
salivator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 GT4, 14 X5 V8 & 91 E30 LS1

rogue diablo race, is also on the higher pitch / F1 side...[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dh3qUq5BuD4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dh3qUq5BuD4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
Blip Bavarian
salivator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 GT4, 14 X5 V8 & 91 E30 LS1

and another one AA, w/ x pipe and race pipes. This thing really screams.

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SzuexPXg0PQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SzuexPXg0PQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

The AA x/pipe + muffler are probably what you are looking for, doesn't sound like anything else.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 05:03 PM   #7
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

It's hard to understand exactly what you're looking for so I would suggest listening to videos online or in person if you know local people that have certain exhausts that you're interested in. We also have a few video clips of the exhausts we offer on our site. Feel free to browse through those exhausts here.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny@JleviSW View Post
It's hard to understand exactly what you're looking for so I would suggest listening to videos online or in person if you know local people that have certain exhausts that you're interested in. We also have a few video clips of the exhausts we offer on our site. Feel free to browse through those exhausts here.
Been listening to all of them on all of the threads.....Remus actually might be what I am looking for. Thanks for the input guys.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #9
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remus View Post
Roger that

Don't want race version, hate drone and that loud. Was looking at Remus sport v. Eisenman sport. Any clips of Remus sport out there? Can't seem to find any.

Also any straight on pictures from the back? Keep finding on an angle and close up shots, but I want to get a view of a car with the exhaust but from like ten feet back or so to see how bad those mufflers stick down. They appear more round and might hang down more than the Eisenman......

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 06:11 PM   #10
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Here you go- found these on Youtube. Let me know if you would like a quote for the Remus exhaust.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 06:53 PM   #11
CampioniShop
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Don't want race version, hate drone and that loud. Was looking at Remus sport v. Eisenman sport. Any clips of Remus sport out there? Can't seem to find any.

Also any straight on pictures from the back? Keep finding on an angle and close up shots, but I want to get a view of a car with the exhaust but from like ten feet back or so to see how bad those mufflers stick down. They appear more round and might hang down more than the Eisenman......

This video actually shows the REMUS SPORT vs REMUS RACE.
The Sport is a pre-order only in the US and is 6 to 8 weeks waiting period as we only keep the RACE systems in stock.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #12
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

One thing you have to come to terms with is that this not an Italian built engine. The V8 you find in the F430 is far different than ours... much of that great italian F1 sound is in its unique design.

That being said, there are few exhausts on here that sound great and you need to listen to them in real life before you start judging.

What exhausts do you feel make the Bimmer V8 sound like a Mustang?

Jason
      10-09-2008, 07:28 PM   #13
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I see that you prefer the V8 scream. But watch the episode of Top Gear when they tested the Aston Vantage on the Isle of Man, and you might understand the beauty of the rumbling exhaust.

Can't find the episode on youtube but here is a DIY video:
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #14
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Honestly it all depends what you are looking for. I have modded cars for quite some time now and I have never found replacing muffler pans to do the job as far as bringing out the true "roar" of an engine. Feel free to check out our exhaust thread and do some comparisons, look into the details, IE design, value, exhaust hangers, etc sometimes its the little things that can help make your decision easier.

After you do your research I would contact Nick over at JleviSW and I am sure he will be able to set you up with one of our Signature exhaust systems for your E9X M3.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #15
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
The problem with having the F1 type exhaust is that every rice can farting idiot from NJ to CA has one too attached to their civic and the sound is very similar. I'd prefer not to be associated with them.

I would rather have the rumble and growl of a V8.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 11:24 PM   #16
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Maybe I will get flamed for this but I saw one post in all of the exhaust threads that I completely agreed with: that true exotic sports cars don't sound like an American V8 rumbling and grumbling, they sound high pitch while blowing by you.

Are there any exhausts out yet that try to enhance a high pitch tone, rather than some deep, rumbling american V8 sound? The engine of this car sounds like a race car when it blows by you on the track down the stretch at 140mph, love that engine sound. But these exhausts try to turn it into some american V8.

Cheers,
e46e92
Actually I was thinking the exact same thing, and no you're not crazy. Most of the after market exhaust systems for the M3 do make it sound like an american muscle car V-8. Not necessarily a bad thing, but if that were the sound I was going for, I would have bought a Dodge Challenger.

That being said, I do prefer the high pitched tone of an exotic car. I think I've seen/listened to almost all of the videos of the M3s with aftermarket exhausts and the only one that produces the high pitched exotic tone is - Meisterschaft. I have read that the build quality on some of the older models may be questionable (have not see evidence of this on the new exhausts for the E92 M3), but from a pure sound standpoint, this thing is in a class by itself. It almost makes the M sound like an Italian exotic. Almost.
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 01:18 AM   #17
dvpouldar26
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

I was thinking more on the lines of the Eisenmann Race with an X-pipe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g5owDYlEQ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxAQLnSra1Y
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 06:28 AM   #18
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:

Cheers,
e46e92
In my opinion this car doesn't even sound close to an American muscle car. The smoothness of the sound separates it totally from American cars. Especially at idle you don't hear that same cam sound you get from American muscle cars that have a big cam. To me it sounds nothing like a pushrod V8. Doesn't sound like the exotic cars, but doesn't sound like American muscle either. In fact I can't think of another car that has the sound of this one??
      10-10-2008, 08:42 AM   #19
Nate@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

10-10-2008, 09:48 AM   #20
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

Does anyone feel the drone at low RPMS using the Eisenmann Race? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 01:37 PM   #21
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny@JleviSW View Post
Here you go- found these on Youtube. Let me know if you would like a quote for the Remus exhaust.

Wow, sounds nice. Very similar to Eisenman but at half the price

Thanks for the post. I think the decision is really now betweeen going with Remus or Vorsteiner. I know, two different exhausts and totally different price ranges, but I love the fact that the VS's muffler is hidden.

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #22
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
One thing you have to come to terms with is that this not an Italian built engine. The V8 you find in the F430 is far different than ours... much of that great italian F1 sound is in its unique design.

That being said, there are few exhausts on here that sound great and you need to listen to them in real life before you start judging.

What exhausts do you feel make the Bimmer V8 sound like a Mustang?

Jason
I agree 100% about it sounding like an Italian engine, I understand that. But I am not looking to for the impossible, just not an exhaust system that highlights that low V8 grumble, prefer higher pitch.

Appreciate 0