BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-12-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
m3dude
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 DCT e92 m3, Subaru Legacy

LSD

Hey Guys,

didn't find any threads mentioning this so I'll ask.

When coming out of low speed corners I am having trouble consistently engaging the LSD when I am coming hard out of a tight corner. I find that half the time it locks up 100% to let the tail slip out, and half the time it prevents wheel spin. I find that when I am in MDM it prevents the back end from coming out much better. But I also find MDM a bit too intrusive for faster corners. SO, does anyone have any advice on throttle technique to make sure the LSD doesn't lock up 100% when coming hard out of a corner?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1055255

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788992

A lot of LSD's claim to lock up 100%, but don't.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Wouldn't it make sense that if the diff was in 100% lock under power out of a corner that the car would go into severe understeer, instead of pushing the tail out?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #4
driftflo
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M2 F87, M3 E92 & E46, C63, 911

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dude View Post
When coming out of low speed corners I am having trouble consistently engaging the LSD when I am coming hard out of a tight corner. I find that half the time it locks up 100% to let the tail slip out, and half the time it prevents wheel spin. I find that when I am in MDM it prevents the back end from coming out much better. But I also find MDM a bit too intrusive for faster corners. SO, does anyone have any advice on throttle technique to make sure the LSD doesn't lock up 100% when coming hard out of a corner?

the stock lsd (GKN viscolok) needs one wheel to spin significantly faster than the other to generate its lockup. think of an old turbo...

so this unit is slow-performing and hardly predictable. slow and difficult to drive on the limit. you need to switch to a proper clutch-type lsd (as bmw does in all their racecars like m3 gt4).

links to good sources have already been posted above.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
driftflo
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
Wouldn't it make sense that if the diff was in 100% lock under power out of a corner that the car would go into severe understeer, instead of pushing the tail out?
depends... in general (more) lockup means (more) understeer.
so a proper high locking clutch-type lsd equiped racecar needs this to be sorted out via suspension- and stabiliser-setup.

but in certain circumstances when two spinning wheels loose traction while cornering they move sideways. you normally hit the gas AFTER the apex. and after the apex the steering goes back to straight/neutral. so the front wheels will have no problem to get enough traction. this is the reason for power oversteering (and not understeering) on corner exit!

with an open diff (what the viscolok is shortly after you apply throttle) only one wheel spins and the outer wheel still has traction so the car keeps in line but doesnt push forward as it could. when the viscolok turns from open to locking, the outer wheel could also spin if you still apply enough throttle.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 09:32 PM   #6
knolow
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
Mannnnnn I thought the same. And would have blamed the issue on throttle input as in to heavy of a foot and not gradual input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftflo View Post
depends... in general (more) lockup means (more) understeer.
so a proper high locking clutch-type lsd equiped racecar needs this to be sorted out via suspension- and stabiliser-setup.

but in certain circumstances when two spinning wheels loose traction while cornering they move sideways. you normally hit the gas AFTER the apex. and after the apex the steering goes back to straight/neutral. so the front wheels will have no problem to get enough traction. this is the reason for power oversteering (and not understeering) on corner exit!

with an open diff (what the viscolok is shortly after you apply throttle) only one wheel spins and the outer wheel still has traction so the car keeps in line but doesnt push forward as it could. when the viscolok turns from open to locking, the outer wheel could also spin if you still apply enough throttle.
Driftflo you need to write a book on this topic. I'd be the first to buy a copy.

Last edited by knolow; 11-12-2014 at 09:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 02:32 AM   #7
driftflo
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Garage List
i wrote a website on that topic. but it is in german only so far.
www.limitedslip.de

when i have some leisure time i am thinking of translating it but as i am no native speaker this will be a tough job for me.

maybe i simply start with the translation and you guys help to correct it then... ;-)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #8
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

This sounds like throttle control rather than LSD issues...the comment that MDM stops this reinforces this notion as it controls throttle input and individual wheel braking. Maybe spend $60 on some lighter shoes before $1000's on a race LSD?
      11-13-2014, 09:38 PM   #9
m3dude
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 DCT e92 m3, Subaru Legacy

Yup. Tried less aggressive throttle application today and the LSD worked fine. (yes you are right m3ray I flipped the terminology). Wish it were a bit more aggressive, but then there would be less shenanigans so its a compromise.

Last edited by m3dude; 11-13-2014 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #10
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftflo
www.limitedslip.de

when i have some leisure time i am thinking of translating it but as i am no native speaker this will be a tough job for me.

maybe i simply start with the translation and you guys help to correct it then... ;-)
Google translate works wonders. I'm able to read ur website, just have google translate it.
      11-14-2014, 09:56 AM   #11
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyix View Post
Google translate works wonders. I'm able to read ur website, just have google translate it.
...and the link: http://translate.google.com/translat...e/&prev=search
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #12
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftflo View Post
www.limitedslip.de

Very good information, and thank you for answering my question. I understand your point, but I am not certain the situation you describe is what is happening with OPs experience, not enough info from OP on that.

That being said, I think most of us have very little knowledge and understanding of differentials beyond the basic concepts, and I don't know if we are able to feel, as drivers, much of what is going on with the diff, particularly with the latest electronics diffs coupled with the DSC and ABS systems. Maybe I am the only one in this situation.

I'll keep reading the info at your site, and I hope I can get better at feeling what the diff is doing, that is my weakest point at this time; I don't think the new M diff in the F8x will make it any easier for me

Thank you once again.
Appreciate 0