BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

11-20-2017, 12:13 PM   #1
hamletl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4- Tanzanite Blue Metall

inconsistent belt squeak

As of about three days ago I noticed a squeaking coming from what I assume is the belts and pulleys on the front of the engine. When I initially heard it I popped the hood to see if there was any obvious cause but I couldn't see any unusual wear on the belts and the pulleys were not obviously loose or wobbling. I was further confused when it was intermittent. Sometimes it happens on startup and goes away and other times it happens randomly during a drive. I just hit 120k miles and I figure it may just be time to do a full belt and pulley service if that's possible. Was just curious what you guys thought and if there is even a way to replace all the pulleys anyways. I am sure its not power steering fluid thats low as I already changed and refilled powersteering a couple thousand miles ago and I checked it and its at a good level.

Thanks,
L
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 12:17 AM   #2
Kal_el
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I have a similar issue. For mine it’s tied to the power steering. I recorded the pulleys to see. One of them during cold startups was not rotating and was causing the squeak. I used Belt dressing and it worked. Didn’t have it for two months. The , it came back and I did the same thing and it hasn’t come back for a week. I have 49k miles and I don’t drove my car much. I think I’ll just end up doing belts here in the near future.
Appreciate 0