BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-22-2018, 04:47 PM   #1
HadesM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pair of e90's

Best mods for street and track?

I would like to start improving the performance and fun to drive quotient of my m3. I want to attend 2 or 3 track events a year and perform mods that make the car more track capable, but more importantly more reliable.

What mods do you think improve the car for both purposes? I definitely do not want to make significant changes that make the car less drivable on the street just to improve track prowess. I primarily drive it on the weekends as a fun car.

I have a 2011 e90 w/ ZCP and 6MT.

TIA

Last edited by HadesM3; 03-22-2018 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 05:36 PM   #2
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

I think in general, your best mod will be improving your skill. I haven't attended a HPDE yet but I've done a lot of reading and based on an honest self evaluation, I can tell that I'm going to learn A LOT about myself/skills on the track. I grew up on the dragstrip so grabbing gears and shifting hard is second nature but it's a different ball game when you add turns to the mix.

Next best thing is probably a good set of tires, dual purpose (street/track) obviously. After that, brake pads, brake fluid, and all the other little things you need (ps fluid) you need to make sure you drive home from the track.

I'm sure others will chime in but for me, those are my thoughts on best mods for the track, for a novice.

Last edited by 94jedi; 03-23-2018 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
derbo3612.50
      03-22-2018, 09:17 PM   #3
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Gaining experience for the nut behind the steering wheel is always the best investment. Depending on how your first HPDE session goes, you analyze what you actually need at the present moment. Majority of the beginners do not need upgrading their first time out.

The lower the limits the car has, the easier it is to learn how to handle it if and when the car passes them. Upgrading too soon will also give you a higher limit and requires faster reaction times.

If you are looking for an actual list:

Tires
Higher temperature brake fluid.
SS brake lines
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 09:38 PM   #4
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Just do brake flush like derbo said with high temperature fluid Motul RBF600 is more than enough. And try with street tires for the first time. Good luck be safe..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 01:24 AM   #5
romemmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (F82)

I have the *exact* same car and track mine.. some of my notes:

1) The ZCP suspension in its hardest setting is still nowhere near hard enough. I went with full coil overs (KWv3) and front sway, but maybe just stiffer sway bars (especially at the front) would be enough, especially if you wanted it to feel stock on the street.

2) Good rubber is essential. I’m currently running Bridgestone RE71R’s, which are pretty awesome - getting good laptimes at Laguna Seca on them, and they are perfectly happy on the street too. I’m also partial to the R888R’s, but those are much softer and will wear a lot on the street.

3) Better brakes! Do NOT go on track with stock pads. I didn’t have time to change pads the first time I went out in the M3 (I went to the track less than a week after I got the car), and the pads melted on the rotors - the car would shake whenever braking for nearly two weeks until the deposits wore off. Also, brake performance on track was scary with stock pads. I like EBC’s for dual street/track duty - EBC yellows would probably work good for you. I use Hawk DTC70 front and DTC60 rear, but those are dedicated track pads which squeal extremely loud, so if you go with dedicated track pads you have to keep swapping (doesn’t take too long, but is a chore).

4) Brake fluid should be changed. I run high temp race fluid. RBF600 should be fine for your needs.

5) I run a SPEC twin clutch, but you will probably be fine with OEM clutch. I have a fully built motor with supercharger, so upgraded the clutch while I was in there.

6) I haven’t done this yet, but upgrading to a short shifter is something I really want to do - the gear shift on these is way too far - for street or track - and the feel is nowhere near tight enough.

Out of the above I’d say brake pads+fluid, tires, and suspension are the three biggest things to do in that order...

Thanks!

S.
Appreciate 1
M_Three90.00
      03-23-2018, 09:05 AM   #6
decimation1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 MT

After doing my first track day last summer I think the car is perfectly capable stock for a novice. That being said, I did flush my brake fluid and use RBF prior to going. I am sure as I do more track days this year (planning on 5-6) and get to know the car better in a track capacity I will find things I'd like to improve.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 10:19 AM   #7
Gbiz
Fo Shizzle
Rep
Drives: .

I can't believe that no one has mentioned changing the rod bearings yet!
Appreciate 1
M_Three90.00
      03-23-2018, 10:36 AM   #8
decimation1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbizzle View Post
I can't believe that no one has mentioned changing the rod bearings yet!
LoL, first track day is how you find out if they are good or not.....
Appreciate 4
SYT_Shadow11517.00
6ixSpd6034.50
M_Three90.00
werdn670.50
      03-23-2018, 10:39 AM   #9
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Camber plates are a must. GC Street plates are very silent and will allow you to not destroy your tires in a day

track pads are a must for the track. I really like the PFC-11 compound as it's a real track pad yet has very good manners on the street
Appreciate 2
dparm3852.50
94jedi832.00
      03-23-2018, 10:46 AM   #10
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Camber plates are a must. GC Street plates are very silent and will allow you to not destroy your tires in a day

track pads are a must for the track. I really like the PFC-11 compound as it's a real track pad yet has very good manners on the street

Pretty much this. Camber plates and learn how to swap in race brake pads. The car is basically ready to go from the factory.

Other than that, spend your money on improving technique (track time, instruction, datalogging, etc).
SYT_Shadow11517.00
94jedi832.00
      03-23-2018, 10:55 AM   #11
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

If this is your first time on track, you don't need to change to track pads yet. First track events should be slower as you learn the layout, being smooth and other track etiquette. I also would not immediately jump to camber plates. Drive it stock and see/feel where the issues are.

Key things:
Make sure you have had a recent brake fluid flush
Make sure you have decent tires (don't go in all seasons or worn performance tires)
Figure out what if anything is limiting you.

No need to spend a ton on upgrades that may not be needed for your style of driving.

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 11:26 AM   #12
HadesM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pair of e90's

Thanks for input so far!

I like to think I’m an intermediate plus driver, but it has been 8 years since my last HPDE. I probably have 12+ events under my belt.
Appreciate 1
94jedi832.00
      03-23-2018, 10:40 PM   #13
Ggeezer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

My first 3 times out on track I went completely stock and was completely fine BUT I will caveat that to say that it really depends on the type of track you'll be on. The track I went is not a super technical track with lots of turns (13 turns over 2.65mi) so the car has ample room to cool between turns. If you'll be on a track with plenty of twists and turns, you might have a different experience than others and you'll notice weak spots with your technique on that particular track.

However, I will say that the outer edge of my MPSS wore out quicker even though front camber was at 1.6 degrees. The other issue with MPSS is that they will get greasy after 15-20 mins into a session and their grip will start to deteriorate.

As others have echoed, you'll be fine if you go in stock configuration and then see what needs upgrading.

I'm by absolutely no means an expert (2-3 times/year) but the past few years I've done the following upgrades:
- Motul 5.1 or RBF600 (an instructor at the track uses the OEM fluid so I think anything above RBF600 would be overkill for my particular track)
- Brake pads (Pagid RS29 or PFC 08 - I preferred the PFCs but they squeal like a mofo on the street)

This year, I'll be upgrading tires to RE-71R and I got a set of Vorshlag camber plates.

If you want to continue the hobby, I'd say the first and foremost must-do item is a good set of brake pads.
Appreciate 0