BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
bm11
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT

Macht Schnell Stage 2 intake installed today

Well,

The video showed 5 minutes, but it took me around 2 hours. I would get it 90% done and then find out that something or other wouldn't fit together so I would take it all back apart and start over. In the end I got it, but the fit is not perfect. The whole system doesn't line up quite right with the airbox so the system is placing torque on the lid which causes a small amount of separation between the lid and the box in the area around the connection.

Does anyone think this will be an issue? My biggest concern would be heat soak offsetting the marginal gains this system offers. The box is sealed all the way around the edge except for a small opening around 3 inches in front and behind where the filter portion meets the box. It also causes a gap in the upper and lower portion of the box where it forms an opening to meet with the snorkel, but the rubber portion of the snorkel covers most of it.

Could it be a fitment issue with the 2012 e92's? Or maybe it is just the nature of the beast. I like the sound, but am considering selling this kit off because it doesn't fit my car 100%.

Thanks,

-Bob
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
That sucks to hear. I didn't have any big fitment issues on my 2012. Maybe some further adjustments are needed?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
EAS
Rep

Drives: VF620 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm11 View Post
Well,

The video showed 5 minutes, but it took me around 2 hours. I would get it 90% done and then find out that something or other wouldn't fit together so I would take it all back apart and start over. In the end I got it, but the fit is not perfect. The whole system doesn't line up quite right with the airbox so the system is placing torque on the lid which causes a small amount of separation between the lid and the box in the area around the connection.

Does anyone think this will be an issue? My biggest concern would be heat soak offsetting the marginal gains this system offers. The box is sealed all the way around the edge except for a small opening around 3 inches in front and behind where the filter portion meets the box. It also causes a gap in the upper and lower portion of the box where it forms an opening to meet with the snorkel, but the rubber portion of the snorkel covers most of it.

Could it be a fitment issue with the 2012 e92's? Or maybe it is just the nature of the beast. I like the sound, but am considering selling this kit off because it doesn't fit my car 100%.

Thanks,

-Bob
There's a number of pieces included, keep all clamps loose and tighten into place once proper alignment is correct.

There should be no openings or gaps when installed properly.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
bm11
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Maybe some further adjustments are needed?
I'm not sure. I tried EVERYTHING to get it to work properly. The whole setup by itself lines up really nice, it's just the angle and pressure in which it enters the airbox that is the issue. Part of it is the pressure put on by the filter "button," the spring loaded part that pushes on the front of the filter. It alone is enough to distort the box with just the filter installed.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
EAS
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure. I tried EVERYTHING to get it to work properly. The whole setup by itself lines up really nice, it's just the angle and pressure in which it enters the airbox that is the issue. Part of it is the pressure put on by the filter "button," the spring loaded part that pushes on the front of the filter. It alone is enough to distort the box with just the filter installed.
The spring behind the centering pin can be cut down slightly to alleviate the pressure on the filter. In most cases, this step is not needed.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
bm11
Private
Rep

Good to know, I might need to do that.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
2012m3dave
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Like the OP I had the same experience on my 2012 M3, I had exactly the same problem in the same area when I installed mine last weekend. I will definitely try cutting down the spring, any recommendatrion of how much to cut off? Definetly not happy with the fitment and not what I expected after spending $500 on this upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
EAS
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012m3dave View Post
Like the OP I had the same experience on my 2012 M3, I had exactly the same problem in the same area when I installed mine last weekend. I will definitely try cutting down the spring, any recommendatrion of how much to cut off? Definetly not happy with the fitment and not what I expected after spending $500 on this upgrade.
One coil would be enough. This typically isn't needed but sometimes makes the install process easier.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Well,

Thanks,

-Bob
Hate to say it, but this, or any intake "system" is a colossal waste of money. Just get a nice filter for $99 and call it a day.
      08-24-2012, 04:28 AM   #10
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

I have the same little gap as the OP, will EAS be able to re-adjust mine free of charge?

Also, why is the air filter spring needed when the filter is hose clamped to the plastic plumbing pieces?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
EAS
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629 View Post
I have the same little gap as the OP, will EAS be able to re-adjust mine free of charge?

Also, why is the air filter spring needed when the filter is hose clamped to the plastic plumbing pieces?
We would be happy to inspect it for you. Please contact us to schedule an appointment.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
bm11
Private
Rep

Quote:
Bump this back up because without the spring my airbox would align much better.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #13
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Also, to make sure the system is sealed 100%, I use a thread/pipe tape on the threads of the screw-in PVC plastic fitting for an air tight seal.

I recently did an oil analysis, and no silicon issue was found in my sample. I'll have to say, as far as filtration goes, MS stage 2 intake is 100%.

Quote:
Bump this back up because without the spring my airbox would align much better.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #14
EndOfAnEra
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW X3 35i Msport + S2000

To speak on behalf on my own experiences, I would like to add some input to this thread. I bought and installed my MS Stage 2 Kit about a month ago. At first I installed the plastic pipes and saved the filter for last. I watched the youtube video again and decided to start with mounting the filter into the box FIRST.

- On a side note, my MS Stage 2 Kit came with a smaller plastic pin to hold the filter into place.

Once the filter was fitted into the box WITHOUT the plastic piping connected the filter fit snugly in the box. I then installed the plastic piping along with the clamps.

The noise added is great, and I def. felt some more power. Could this kit have been cheaper? I think so, but I'm happy with my purchase
      08-25-2012, 12:04 AM   #15
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Hate to say it, but this, or any intake "system" is a colossal waste of money. Just get a nice filter for $99 and call it a day.
What he said
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #16
bm11
Private
Rep

I searched the crap out of it before I bought this intake, and found numerous threads with dyno's on THIS FORUM saying that the intake produces a sold 10+ HP, which is why I bought it. They were all wrong and I wasted money? If that's the case it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #17
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Very good to know, as this was my key worry about using an oiled filter...thanks for sharing this real world experience. Also, in my research, I found out that the OEM paper filter has 99.1% filtration efficiency per ISO tests, which isn't much better vs MS.

Quote:

I recently did an oil analysis, and no silicon issue was found in my sample. I'll have to say, as far as filtration goes, MS stage 2 intake is 100%.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #18
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Seems like 7+ hp for elbow and filter is corroborated by numerous dynos (even away from MS/EAS). Even the Dinan intake (similar design) is +7 hp, and Dinan is very conservative w/ their advertised HP gains. While one can argue it is within the "margin of error", outside of some tests of AFE products, no MS filter/intake elbow shows a loss of power (at least I haven't come across any) on Dyno tests.

Quote:
I searched the crap out of it before I bought this intake, and found numerous threads with dyno's on THIS FORUM saying that the intake produces a sold 10+ HP, which is why I bought it. They were all wrong and I wasted money? If that's the case it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #19
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

My car was dynoed at 357wrhp with MS stage 2 intake and an Akra slip-on on a 104F day. Don't really have a baseline to verify any gains, but my number is definitely strong after I compare my result against the dyno database with similar dynojet runs.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 05:35 AM   #20
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629
My car was dynoed at 357wrhp with MS stage 2 intake and an Akra slip-on on a 104F day. Don't really have a baseline to verify any gains, but my number is definitely strong after I compare my result against the dyno database with similar dynojet runs.
Without a baseline it really doesnt mean much.

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0