BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

04-21-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

fabspeed 2nd cat/resinator delete x-pipe & exhaust?

Fella's,

I think I've narrowed it down to the Fabspeed 2nd cat/resinator delete x-pipe for emissions/cost/simplicity needs. But should get some extra hp as it advertises. But I don't know what exhaust to go with. I was thinking of the Remus Race but have heard it's crazy loud if you delete the resinator. Maybe go with an AA? Remus sport maybe? What do you guys think?? I don't want it crazy loud but I'm more interested in the hp gains, with a good or better than stock sound naturaly. Any idea?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #2
dogears
My master volume goes to 11
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

My Eisenmann Sport will be here on Thursday. I can say that the gains of axle back exhaust seem to be reduced the more you open up the front section. It is not cumulative. We are going to dyno the car in a couple of weeks and see how it compares with the Eisenmann installed. If I were you, I would stick with a "sport" setup. The race pieces will be obnoxiously loud. Already, my cars sounds way healthier with the huge 4inch high flow cats and no secondaries! I would not want much more than sport..... Race would set off alarms
      04-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

haha! set off alarms. Yes, I remember I had a '76 Trans Am 400 big block, dual exhaust, no cats, no resinator, no mufflers, just two straight pipes. It was insane, I drove it daily though and at the time it didn't seam to be unberable. But then I again I was only 22. And it definitly set off alarms. I don't know about either the Race or Sport. True that the Race will be loud. So what if I had a 430 Scuderia? How loud would that be in comparasin? A Lambo? Not that I'm trying to replicate that sound, just making a comparisan in loudness. I'll be looking for your sound clip when you get it, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

I have the remus race and will be going with the 2nd cats and res delete along with the tune, soooooooooo..... ABout those alarms lol
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

can you get the fabspeed with high flow cats and resonator but no secondary cats? anyone have some contact info for them or who i can order this through?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
dogears
Rep

That is exactly what I have.

fabspeed.com

Check my thread too for pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
can you get the fabspeed with high flow cats and resonator but no secondary cats? anyone have some contact info for them or who i can order this through?
      04-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #7
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

any codes with this setup?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #8
dogears
Rep

None yet..... The real test is to see if you get a code after many miles. Maybe in 3-6 months. 3000+ miles.

Quote:
any codes with this setup?
      04-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #9
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Funny you mention, I just talked to someone at Fabspeed.com on the phone and they pretty much garantee that this x-pipe with the 2nd cat delete and no resinators will NOT through codes as it's installed after the primary cats and o2 sensors. Someone on this forum from NY went and got a State inspecion last week and they passed no problem with 2nd cats deleted. So then I talked to RENN Spec about the Encore Innovation X-pipe with the high-flow primary cats and they said they could NOT garantee that the M3 would not get a check light. He mentioned that out of 3 cars, one had a blown o2 fuse blown from a bad install not done at their shop, once fixed, the light went away, another through a code after about 30 miles, dealer reset, and it never came back. the other had no problems since install 3 weeks ago.

So, sounds like it's a good product, the EI x-pipe but your messing with primary cat's so unless there is a ECU reflash, no garantee about codes. This 2nd cat delete x-pipe from Fabspeed at least will give you some hp gains, about 14hp, and you don't have to worry about messing with primary cats and codes. But for most States, it should pass emissions, except Cali. Their in PA and he said they got real tough emission standards and all the cars that have had the 2nd cat delete pipe installed, Bimmer's and others, all have reported zero codes and passed State inspection, such as the fella from NY.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #10
Encore Innovation
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Funny you mention, I just talked to someone at Fabspeed.com on the phone and they pretty much garantee that this x-pipe with the 2nd cat delete and no resinators will NOT through codes as it's installed after the primary cats and o2 sensors. Someone on this forum from NY went and got a State inspecion last week and they passed no problem with 2nd cats deleted. So then I talked to RENN Spec about the Encore Innovation X-pipe with the high-flow primary cats and they said they could NOT garantee that the M3 would not get a check light. He mentioned that out of 3 cars, one had a blown o2 fuse blown from a bad install not done at their shop, once fixed, the light went away, another through a code after about 30 miles, dealer reset, and it never came back. the other had no problems since install 3 weeks ago.

So, sounds like it's a good product, the EI x-pipe but your messing with primary cat's so unless there is a ECU reflash, no garantee about codes. This 2nd cat delete x-pipe from Fabspeed at least will give you some hp gains, about 14hp, and you don't have to worry about messing with primary cats and codes. But for most States, it should pass emissions, except Cali. Their in PA and he said they got real tough emission standards and all the cars that have had the 2nd cat delete pipe installed, Bimmer's and others, all have reported zero codes and passed State inspection, such as the fella from NY.

the primary cat of factory system is a big 400 cell cat, we use a high flow metallic 200 cell race cat and move further back, therefore it will make more hp and most importatnly low-end torque with just a 2ndary and resonator delete. our test cars has gone 3500+ miles with CEL. the O2 sensor only monitors primary cat, so by deleting 2ndary cat makes no difference to ECU. our system is bolt on, no cutting required, can be switched back any time.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #11
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encore Innovation View Post
the primary cat of factory system is a big 400 cell cat, we use a high flow metallic 200 cell race cat and move further back, therefore it will make more hp and most importatnly low-end torque with just a 2ndary and resonator delete. our test cars has gone 3500+ miles with CEL. the O2 sensor only monitors primary cat, so by deleting 2ndary cat makes no difference to ECU. our system is bolt on, no cutting required, can be switched back any time.
tell 'em.

_way_ too much hand-wringing on this forum about 'what if this' and 'what if that', it's like listening to a bunch of chicks talk about soap operas.

this isn't rocket science, OBD2 has been around now for almost 14 years. What works and what doesn't was figured out a long time ago. These cars aren't magic.
      04-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #12
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
tell 'em.

_way_ too much hand-wringing on this forum about 'what if this' and 'what if that', it's like listening to a bunch of chicks talk about soap operas.

this isn't rocket science, OBD2 has been around now for almost 14 years. What works and what doesn't was figured out a long time ago. These cars aren't magic.
DING DING DING DING
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 10:49 PM   #13
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post
That is exactly what I have.

fabspeed.com

Check my thread too for pics.
looked at fabspeed.com all i saw was an xpipe that would require cutting up the stock exhaust. i thought we were discussing an entire front section with high flow cats and resonators but with the secondary cats deleted similar to encore or AA pipes that just bolt in.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 10:54 PM   #14
dogears
Rep

I have a full system. Not what is on their site. I have replacement high flow cats. No coding. Here is the pic of my car. Don't let anyone confuse you. Totally bolt on and reversable.

Quote:
looked at fabspeed.com all i saw was an xpipe that would require cutting up the stock exhaust. i thought we were discussing an entire front section with high flow cats and resonators but with the secondary cats deleted similar to encore or AA pipes that just bolt in.
      04-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #15
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

dogears, have you attempted an emissions test with your set up to see if it'll pass?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 11:33 AM   #16
dogears
Rep

NJ is OBD test. There is no sniffer. So yeah, my car will pass. No codes, rear O2 still on. In my experience, it will also pass a sniff since teh primary cats are there and working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
dogears, have you attempted an emissions test with your set up to see if it'll pass?
      04-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #17
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep

They never got back to me regarding having this done. U think I would b able to order the xpipe from them? I can always get a tune elsewhere
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #18
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post
NJ is OBD test. There is no sniffer. So yeah, my car will pass. No codes, rear O2 still on. In my experience, it will also pass a sniff since teh primary cats are there and working.
sounds promising. When I get back to the US with this car, I'm probebly gonna get stationed in New Mexico, although I'm going to try to go back to Vegas. I can't find on the web how those States do their emission tests. So naturaly I'm wondering if getting the EI system like you have is gonna work or will I have to bolt on the OEM system for emission testing. Not that that in itself is a big deal. But your not getting codes so that is what I'm looking for too. Any idea how or what to google for more knowledge on emission tests by State? I'm a bit curious about the standards.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #19
E92M3Pilot
E86MPilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550XI

Dogears - Very interested to hear before and after sound of the Eisenman on your Fabspeed system. I think it is a good combination that you are getting.
Appreciate 0