BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

05-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
CarbonAlpine
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M4

How to remove/prevent bird drop marks

As the title says. My car sometimes sits outside all day and when I return home there might be a small bird dropping. Is there any products that remove it safely and also any left over etching??

My car is white and I can't really notice any marks but I want to now what I can use.

Many thanks
Previous BMW: E36 Reiger Custom Green vert E46 ///M3 Cabonblack vert E46 ///M3 AW vert E63 645ci AW Coupe E92 ///M3 AW E93 ///M3 SG Vert
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 02:41 AM   #2
jasonlu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW335i

i have the same problem. looking for answer as well
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 06:18 AM   #3
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonAlpine View Post
As the title says. My car sometimes sits outside all day and when I return home there might be a small bird dropping. Is there any products that remove it safely and also any left over etching??

My car is white and I can't really notice any marks but I want to now what I can use.

Many thanks

Oh, so this was a question?
From the title I was looking forward to learning something.

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:

Many thanks
let me know
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
CarbonAlpine
Captain
Rep

Yes this is a question, and when it's answered the title serves as a purpose for those in need as well.

I have a car cover from BMW, but I heard it does more damage to the paint then leaving it off.

Any inputs would be great as I'm sure many keep their M's outdoor and could use some advice.

Thanks
Previous BMW: E36 Reiger Custom Green vert E46 ///M3 Cabonblack vert E46 ///M3 AW vert E63 645ci AW Coupe E92 ///M3 AW E93 ///M3 SG Vert
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

CarbonAlpine,
It is a good question and the thread has proven that others have the same question.

Luckily with your car, the vehicle is white and therefore doesn't absorb nearly as much heat as a darker colored car would. Never the less, acid damage doesn't discriminate and can negatively affect all vehicle finished. Keep a bottle of quick detailer in your car along with a couple quality microfiber towels (put them in a zip-lock so they don't get any other debris on them while they're waiting to be used).
It's worth pulling the car in the shade and giving affected areas a few minutes (5-10) to cool off so that any quick detail sprayed doesn't evaporate away as soon as it hits the finish.
Spray with the intention of soaking the crap so that it loosens from the paint and can be gently wiped away. After a couple of sprays, gently wipe, turn the towel, and wipe again.

There's no product to apply to simply remove etching damage. The nature of etching damage is a permanent damage to the affected paint. Hopefully you can prevent the damage from going too deep however, so that with polishing the damage can be safely removed from your finish.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #7
CarbonAlpine
Captain
Rep

^^thanks pal. Would droppings left on car for about 6 hours do any damage? That's around the time that I'm away from my car. Is using a car cover safer??

I use DP waterless wash...

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 12:41 AM   #8
sig5x
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
CarbonAlpine,
It is a good question and the thread has proven that others have the same question.

Luckily with your car, the vehicle is white and therefore doesn't absorb nearly as much heat as a darker colored car would. Never the less, acid damage doesn't discriminate and can negatively affect all vehicle finished. Keep a bottle of quick detailer in your car along with a couple quality microfiber towels (put them in a zip-lock so they don't get any other debris on them while they're waiting to be used).
It's worth pulling the car in the shade and giving affected areas a few minutes (5-10) to cool off so that any quick detail sprayed doesn't evaporate away as soon as it hits the finish.
Spray with the intention of soaking the crap so that it loosens from the paint and can be gently wiped away. After a couple of sprays, gently wipe, turn the towel, and wipe again.

There's no product to apply to simply remove etching damage. The nature of etching damage is a permanent damage to the affected paint. Hopefully you can prevent the damage from going too deep however, so that with polishing the damage can be safely removed from your finish.
Would a clear bra protect the paint or can the bird dropping "burn" through it as well? I have a clear bra on my CF roof as well as the hood and was wondering about this...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Quote:
^^thanks pal. Would droppings left on car for about 6 hours do any damage? That's around the time that I'm away from my car. Is using a car cover safer??

I use DP waterless wash...

Thanks again!
The waterless wash should be a great product to use for cleaning up the mess. Make sure to use a spray wax or spray sealant afterwards to give the affected area some protection for the future.
I can't tell you how long it'll take. Maybe just an hour. Maybe 6. Maybe 12. There's no set amount of time as there are so many factors.

Car covers can cause a lot of marring to your finish as well as swirls. I personally avoid them like the plague.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig5x View Post
Would a clear bra protect the paint or can the bird dropping "burn" through it as well? I have a clear bra on my CF roof as well as the hood and was wondering about this...
They certainly can protect the paint, but they can also be damaged by bird droppings and other etching based damage. They might not work 100% in all cases, but I'd imagine they would help greatly at the cost of being expensive and not looking as nice because of orange peel and dis-colorization over time. Of course not all paint protection film is equal and a lot will depend on your installer.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

i better post my hood a fawking crow shit on it. or maybe a seagal its one big shit and now i need to have the hood detail...
      05-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
vinhtuan04
Rep
Drives: BWM x1

Sorry for my asking not related to topic.
Why don't you use some product remote such problem: goods from Sonax car care or 1zeinszett
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
disapr
drop a gear and...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

I had some really bad bird poo on my Jet Black hood. I didn't have any detailer with me so it took about 3 hours to get it washed off. The etching is so bad that it's still visible in direct light after 6 sessions with a PC DA polisher and an orange pad. I took it to a pro and he suggested wet sanding to completely remove the spots so it will have to stay for now.

A few of the drops landed on my clear bra that covers only the front of my hood and after the pro couldn't remove them without damaging the bra I had to replace the clear bra. The bra actually looked worse than the hood - With the hood you have to be at just the right angle to see the spots, on my bra it was obvious where they were at any angle.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
ducman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by disapr View Post
I had some really bad bird poo on my Jet Black hood. I didn't have any detailer with me so it took about 3 hours to get it washed off. The etching is so bad that it's still visible in direct light after 6 sessions with a PC DA polisher and an orange pad. I took it to a pro and he suggested wet sanding to completely remove the spots so it will have to stay for now.

A few of the drops landed on my clear bra that covers only the front of my hood and after the pro couldn't remove them without damaging the bra I had to replace the clear bra. The bra actually looked worse than the hood - With the hood you have to be at just the right angle to see the spots, on my bra it was obvious where they were at any angle.
How long did you left the shit sit before you try to care for the car if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #14
disapr
drop a gear and...
United_States
Rep

About 3 hours.. But it was also on the hot hood in the sun.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #15
ducman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

That sucks. I get some small yellow shit streak lines. Seriously, all these birds need to die.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 08:06 PM   #16
CarbonAlpine
Captain
Rep

Is there anything that deters birds besides paintballs? Or will they continue to come back??
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #17
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

reminds me of an old thread on 1addicts... What would you do if this was you:
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 11:33 PM   #18
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

wd-40
      05-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #19
disapr
drop a gear and...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti View Post
reminds me of an old thread on 1addicts... What would you do if this was you:
Take it for a repaint and buy a shotgun on the way home... j/k
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #20
KIS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Jaguar F Type R

I came out to my Jet Black M after a meeting. The car was in the Houston sun for approximately 3 hours. In that time a bird nailed the trunk. I brought it to an excellent detailer, and after buffing and polishing it is still noticeable. At this point it appears wet sanding is the next option. When I did this search I was hoping for a miracle cure. Oh well..........
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #21
Darkstar752
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2005 Grand Cherokee

One thing to note is that if bird crap is a problem for you, carnauba waxes will protect it better than sealants. I'm a sealant guy but we don't too big of a bird crap problem in our area, doesn't seem to be as acidic as it does in other areas.

The reason being that polymer sealants molecularly interlock with the paint, meaning that the bird crap will transfer through the sealant and into your paint faster. Waxes more sit on the paint rather than really bind to it, creating a barrier which the bird crap will have to eat through before making it to the paint.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0