BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-19-2010, 07:31 AM   #1
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

NJMP Video

Here are some vids from NJMP on 9/13 and 9/14 with SCDA. Pman was there on 9/13 and we inadvertently got to see the difference between MDM mode with DCT vs. Street mode with 6MT (as I forgot to turn it on for session #2)

I had a good pace, even with some overdriving from time to time...

My buddy was there with a Corvette Z06 - they are a pretty steaming on the track...

Lightning:
Session 2

Session 3

Thunderbolt:
Session 1

Session 2

Session 3
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Nice. Lightning is a fun track! I think I hear you getting on the brakes right after the start/finish line, but I might be wrong. If that's the case, and IIRC, and if you want to pick up 1-2 seconds, you should be able to hold off until the "4" marker in this car and then really get on it even when you make a good exit onto that straight (that's with r-compounds--not sure what you are running). I vaguely remember the speedo showing a little over 140 mph around the "4" marker.
      09-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I was getting 140 on the speedo. I have to be honest, I switched from performance friction to hawk dtc70 pads and I didn't feel as confident on the Hawks as the PFs. The Hawks did the job, but were no where near as crisp. They worked all sessions, but felt softer and I was a but leery of going to deep into turns. I had some good feedback from an advanced driver who commented that I was one of the latest brakers in the group. I had the same issue on Turn 6 at lightning too...where if I braked too late, I would overdrive the corner, so I generally ended up being a little premature.

I tried your double apex in the lightbulb, I think it was you who suggested that, but it seemed slower. I am running NT-05s, but I want a softer compound for next year, maybe NT-01s or the Toyos?

The big things for me were starting recognize understeer and correcting (sometimes) and also feeling comfortable moving the car and maintaining speed when the tires were a little closer to the limit. My last time at the track driving in the wet (after a BMW CCA day on a skidpad) helped a lot with this comfort.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

The double apex did not result in higher exit speeds for me out of the large radius bowl (tach indicated similar speeds for singe vs double apex), but it did naturally allow me to brake much deeper into it. While others were lining up and braking on the left, I was still accelerating and diving straight in. Did haven't data aquisition in the car, so don't know the overall effect for sure though...
      09-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
Dntlvet
Dntlvet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 M3 Sedan,13 GT-R BE,13 Pors

Thanks for the videos
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
sandwood
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M, formerly e90 M3

good vids.
that dodge magnum in lightning session 3 was fast!
Both look like a great tracks, I hope to get up there next season.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #7
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwood View Post
good vids.
that dodge magnum in lightning session 3 was fast!
Both look like a great tracks, I hope to get up there next season.
Hell yes! Unbelievable. No power mods, just huge slicks! He was running telemetry all day. I think there is a YouTube where he was running 1:17s
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Nice driving Rob. I was suppose to be on thunderbolt that day, but coudnt make it due to unexpected obligation. Hope to see you next time
David
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 09 AND135I 11 View Post
Nice driving Rob. I was suppose to be on thunderbolt that day, but coudnt make it due to unexpected obligation. Hope to see you next time
David
Missed you - I expected to see you there! Although, I didn't miss another Thunderbolt whuppin' from a 135! Next season!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
Here are some vids from NJMP on 9/13 and 9/14 with SCDA. Pman was there on 9/13 and we inadvertently got to see the difference between MDM mode with DCT vs. Street mode with 6MT (as I forgot to turn it on for session #2)

I had a good pace, even with some overdriving from time to time...

My buddy was there with a Corvette Z06 - they are a pretty steaming on the track...
Great stuff! You were so much quicker than me that I'd be embarrassed if it hadn't been my second time ever on a track . That being said it's amazing how much MDM helps with putting the power down - it was the real difference IMO, not DCT. I tried to be courteous and let you pass once I got through the traffic, but it's challenging when you're trying to pay attention to your instructor, to people behind you, and to your own driving line at the same time.

My stock PS2s are absolutely toast (front left went from 4/32" right down tot the wear bars!!), and it looks like my brakes may be slightly glazed (a little vibration under hard braking). Love the michelins but will not be getting another set of those. Will get something similar that has dual track/street performance - I dont' want two sets of wheels right now. I will definitely be running performance brake pads next time, too.

Do you flush your brake fluid after each track session? Or do you get someone to do it for you?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #11
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Great stuff! You were so much quicker than me that I'd be embarrassed if it hadn't been my second time ever on a track . That being said it's amazing how much MDM helps with putting the power down - it was the real difference IMO, not DCT. I tried to be courteous and let you pass once I got through the traffic, but it's challenging when you're trying to pay attention to your instructor, to people behind you, and to your own driving line at the same time.

My stock PS2s are absolutely toast (front left went from 4/32" right down tot the wear bars!!), and it looks like my brakes may be slightly glazed (a little vibration under hard braking). Love the michelins but will not be getting another set of those. Will get something similar that has dual track/street performance - I dont' want two sets of wheels right now. I will definitely be running performance brake pads next time, too.

Do you flush your brake fluid after each track session? Or do you get someone to do it for you?
I know you let me go, because no matter how hard I tried, you left me at the exits! Thanks. You were driving well for the second time out!

I flush the fluid myself after every two events. I use Ate Gold. I bought the tools and just slot that task it in while changing pads and wheels. I have done it twice with buddies and once on my own. I have a motive products power bleeder - with the aluminium cap - which allows you to do it solo.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 05:19 PM   #12
noxredna
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 M3, 1M, F10 M5

MDM on this track is sufficient.. lightning really rewards smooth throttle inputs. I'm jealous - you guys had soo much fun. I think I have to sign up for Oct 14-15th with PCA.. havent been out on the track for the last month or so.

This is a hot lap on street tires doing a 1:17.6 on lightning track prior to my suspension mods.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 08:28 PM   #13
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Wow...I'll get my coat! LOL

You did that with wooden trim too!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 07:09 PM   #14
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I know you let me go, because no matter how hard I tried, you left me at the exits! Thanks. You were driving well for the second time out!

I flush the fluid myself after every two events. I use Ate Gold. I bought the tools and just slot that task it in while changing pads and wheels. I have done it twice with buddies and once on my own. I have a motive products power bleeder - with the aluminium cap - which allows you to do it solo.
Good stuff. I'll probably have a garage do it, since I don't trust my mechanical skills to do it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxredna View Post
MDM on this track is sufficient.. lightning really rewards smooth throttle inputs. I'm jealous - you guys had soo much fun. I think I have to sign up for Oct 14-15th with PCA.. havent been out on the track for the last month or so.

This is a hot lap on street tires doing a 1:17.6 on lightning track prior to my suspension mods.

Clearly we are in the midst of a pro. Great driving! I'm done for the season but will be back next spring. I'm hooked! Tracking is such a blast
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #15
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Wow...I'll get my coat! LOL

You did that with wooden trim too!

Wooden trim and recaro seats...now that's a first!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 12:24 AM   #16
noxredna
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 M3, 1M, F10 M5

Haha to be honest - I am far from a pro.. only started tracking in the last 2 years with 12 track days or so in total.. it's my 4th time in lightning when I set the track time..

The DCT really makes driving way too easy..

yes - stop bashing on my wooden trip.. heheh, it doesn't look as bad as you think it does.
Appreciate 0