BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

07-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
ChitownM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 SS Camaro

Any drag radials that will fit stock 19"wheels?

I'm looking to get some DRs for the rear. Any that will fit the stock wheels?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownM3 View Post
I'm looking to get some DRs for the rear. Any that will fit the stock wheels?
Drag radials are typically limted to 18" wheels for good reason...

If you want to hit the drag strip, find yourself some OEM 18's and go from there.
      07-26-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
ChitownM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Not just for the drag strip, for street use too, and I don't like the way the 18s look. I've heard some companies are makign 19" radials, but I can't find them anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
ChitownM3
Lieutenant
Rep

I'd be happy with any softer tire than the ps2s, something that wouldn't cause so much wheel hop/spinning into 2nd gear at full throttle. Any recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
Lemans_Blue_M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not just for the drag strip, for street use too, and I don't like the way the 18s look. I've heard some companies are makign 19" radials, but I can't find them anywhere.
I know this is what you want, but do you realize WHY this would be a disaster for use on the street?

Tire manufacturers don't give much thought to building 19" drag radials because it makes no sense from a performance standpoint. (it's counter productive) Not to mention dangerous...

That's why companies like BF Goodrich don't make drag radials in anything larger than 18" diameter.
      07-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
Lemans_Blue_M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd be happy with any softer tire than the ps2s, something that wouldn't cause so much wheel hop/spinning into 2nd gear at full throttle. Any recommendations?
Then don't buy drag radials as a substiute for PS2's. That's a really bad move. The wet weather traction and treadwear will rule this out as a seriuos repalcement tire anyway. Drag radials should not be used on the street. Period.

If you are that unhappy with PS2's then I suggest you try a wider tire size with a larger section width, or switch to Vredestein Sesantas or Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics.

It seems as though you have more of contact patch problem than anything else...

What are the exact tires sizes that you're using now?
      07-26-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Get some 18" TE-37's. One of the few rims I believe actually look pretty good in 18" on the M3.

As for the wheel hop/spin put some 285's on there. If you go too wide, you will actually slow down your time as you're adding more unsprung weight and too much contact patch.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #8
Lemans_Blue_M
United_States
Rep

Actually, I've always found it to be of a greater benefit to go a little wider (and slightly heavier) tire on a high horsepower car that experiences traction problems.

If your main problem is hooking up off the line in 1st or 2nd gear, then you want to address that problem first. Until that issue is resolved, you aren't going to set any 1/4 mile records anyway.

A wider section width tire will additional weight (1-3 lbs), but that's a good thing in this case. You want to slow your inital wheel speed down, which will improve your launches. (and your chances of hooking up)

But alas there is no free lunch, so you will pay a small penalty for adding the additional tire weight. But it is important to note that this small penalty (.1 to .2 on average) will be confined to the first 60' of your run. After that, any performance will mimic a slightly smaller tire.

The greatest loss in performance with a wheel or tire occurs at the moment it starts to spin. Once it's spinning, the losses due to additional weight will be minuscule due to the momentum of the wheel. (less torque input is required)

I do agree that there is the law of diminishing returns though, so you have to find a happy medium. (balance between weight and performance)
      07-26-2009, 07:12 PM   #9
ChitownM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, so how wide do you guys think I should go? 285?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 07:16 PM   #10
ChitownM3
Lieutenant
Rep

You guys got me thinking now... I really like the PS2s as far as corning grip goes, maye I'll just go with 275 PS2s.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
Lemans_Blue_M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You guys got me thinking now... I really like the PS2s as far as corning grip goes, maye I'll just go with 275 PS2s.
285/30/19 will work better for off the line performance, but the 285/30/19 PS2's are also hella expensive.

The 275's will also work better than the stock tires, just not as well as the 285/30.

FYI: Make sure you upgrade to 275/35/19 tires and not 275/30/19 tires.

The 35 sidewall will give you better ride comfort. This is something you rarely hear about when selecting an aftermarket tire these days.

Remember, you have to live with this tire on a daily basis. Shorter sidewall tires decrease the rolling diameter of the OE tire/wheel combo resulting in more noise and vibration.

I have found that over the years customers really appreciate hearing that UPFRONT , rather than after they have bought tires that reduce the ride quality of the car.