BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

View Poll Results: Who is your choice for next coach? or who is most likely choice?
Urban Meyer 5 41.67%
Bob Stoops 0 0%
Bo Pelini 0 0%
Mark Dantonio 0 0%
Dan Mullen 0 0%
Chris Petersen 1 8.33%
Luck Fickell 3 25.00%
Gary Pinkel 0 0%
Gary Patterson 0 0%
Lovie Smith 1 8.33%
Other 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

05-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Ohio State's next coach

Discuss:

I vote for Urban, the only reasons he won't take/get the job:

1. legitimate health reasons
2. pending Florida violations (baggage)
3. seen as back stabbing of the Florida fan base (who cares?)
4. Luck Fickell goes undefeated or takes team to BCS game

I think 60% chance it'll be Urban, 30% chance it'll be Luke Fickell
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

personally, I'm relieved this situation came out this way with the resignation. OSU needs to move forward.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Ray Finkle

SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Lovie was extended to 2013 with the Bears
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

LOL vest is gone. yessss
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 07:04 AM   #6
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

What a smeg stain. Pryor next?
Attached Images

05-31-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...sel/index.html
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 09:45 AM   #8
smokinHawk
623lb puller
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340I XDrive MT Black

Im hoping Lloyd Carr
that would be awesome....
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #9
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthi32 View Post
LOL vest is gone. yessss
+billions
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
In his 2008 book Urban Meyer said there are 3 schools that his wife does not have veto power on: 1) OSU, 2) ND, 3) Michigan.

He's going to have a nice break after leaving Florida so it seems to me that he's going to take it.
      11-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #11
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Urban Meyer decision to be annouced Monday afternoon. There has already been a top committment from incoming freshman class over the weekend including a decommitment from another school.

Exciting times at Ohio State.

Last edited by mdosu; 11-28-2011 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #12
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

fantasic op ed written by Jen Floyd of Fox Sports:

November 28, 2011

So Urban Meyer did not really step down as Florida's football coach to spend more time with his family, bring balance to his day and get healthy? Or maybe he did and, after a year, said, "Forget this."

I have no insights into the inner workings of Meyer's brain.

Maybe, he bailed because SEC pressure is toxic and insane. Maybe, it was because Tim Tebow graduated. Maybe, losing ate at him. Maybe, he really had very little talent stockpiled. Maybe, he really did want to spend more time with his family only to realize he missed having a football family, as well. Maybe, he really wanted to change. Maybe, he was lying all along.

I do not know. I do not care. It is none of my damn business, or yours.

I will let Meyer determine how to properly mete out his 24 hours between job and kids, how to best tend to his cardiovascular health, how to find what feels like balance for him. What I know for sure is Ohio State just hired itself a good coach.

A report came out Monday saying Meyer would be hired as Ohio State's coach. For days it was the worst-kept secret in college football. The news has pumped life into a program that had struggled to regain its footing in the wake of the "scandal" of a year ago.

The word feels wrongly applied now. What happened at Ohio State with a few little harmless lies about tattoos seems rather tame in light of what secrets other notable coaches were keeping for the good of the program.

We probably owe former Buckeyes coach Jim Tressel an apology, if we're being honest.

Our righteous indignation was wasted on what only looked like lack of institutional control. We now have a clearer picture of what "lack of" really looks like in college athletics, thanks to what has been alleged at Penn State. And lack of institutional control pales in comparison to that lack.

That ship has sailed, though, and Meyer is on his way.

I love this hire for Ohio State for so many reasons, mostly because college football is better with Meyer involved. The dude wins everywhere. He brings a perfect blend of talent and cocky and fun. And if he has a little Brett Favre-diva in him, well, welcome to college football coaching nowadays. They all are stars in their own little worlds. What we should know for sure after Penn State is judging college coaches on anything beyond Ws and Ls is dangerous. We do not know them, not really, not for sure. We just know their coaching and the little, well-crafted snippets of themselves they let us see.

It is safer to judge the coaching. And how can you not like a coach such as Meyer who, according to reports from Columbus, wanted an incentive in his contract for back-to-back championships?

He will excel at The Ohio State University, where tradition, money, talent and university commitment really only require adding a good coach to have a chance at winning big. Meyer is that guy, pulling down two national championships while at Florida and probably deserving another for his undefeated season at Utah.

National championships with an "s" is not impossible at The Ohio State, especially with the Big Ten being what it is. Big on big at the Big House every year battling Brady Hoke for a chance to play for a national championship has to sound pretty good to Meyer.

So I do not blame Meyer, not at all, not for leaving Florida and not for resurfacing at Ohio State so soon after declaring his intention to spend more time with family. As Thanksgiving holidays have a way of reminding all of us, family time is fraught with its own challenges. Why shouldn't Urban Meyer be allowed to miss football, to change his mind, to want to go elsewhere?

Meyer simply employed one of the oldest rules of breakups. Fall on the sword. No specifics. And whatever you do, do not tell the truth. The truth leads to long, awkward conversations when the goal is quick and dirty. This is how "It's not you, it's me" came into the dumping lexicon. And a couple of weeks later, that same guy is back in the saddle — sometimes, literally — with that blonde from accounting.

It was you, after all. And so it is with Gator fans.

To borrow a phrase from the "Sex and the City" crew, Meyer was just not that into you.

It was you, not him. He did not want to coach you any more.

The same rules used in relationships apply in football. If he is not that into you, you do not want him. It does not matter how good he was or how many good times you shared. They call this a breakup because it is broken, another relationship axiom that applies to football, as well.

Florida will be good again, just like LSU was after Nick Saban bailed on them.

At least Meyer did not go to a hated rival or pull a Jay Leno and go trolling around his former program and swoop in with talk of saving what he created at the first sign of trouble. What Meyer soon will do is take a job that he has long been rumored to have interest in and will likely win big.

Maybe, this was his plan all along. Maybe, he really tried to stay home and failed.

I don't know. Nor is it my business.

What I know for sure is Ohio State just landed itself a great football coach.
Appreciate 0