BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

10-11-2015, 01:59 PM   #1
OneSickM
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Question Broke shock screw..HELP

While attempting to DIY lower springs, I broke the head of 18mm shock screw (part# 33522283638) in the rear. The screw was extremely hard to take off even with using a breaker bar. I kept trying to release it counter clockwise moving slowly until boom the head is got.

Does anyone know if it is designed like that? and the main question how can I remove the screw with no head?

Thanks inadvance
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 07:51 PM   #2
atruelunatic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickM View Post
While attempting to DIY lower springs, I broke the head of 18mm shock screw (part# 33522283638) in the rear. The screw was extremely hard to take off even with using a breaker bar. I kept trying to release it counter clockwise moving slowly until boom the head is got.

Does anyone know if it is designed like that? and the main question how can I remove the screw with no head?

Thanks inadvance
You can look into screw extractors, best I can help. =/ Good luck
      10-28-2015, 11:11 PM   #3
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

That specific bolt might be able to come out if you use some vice grips and clamp the bolt in the front and turn it as if you're tightening

The only other thing I can think of is to remove the lower arm and drill out the bolt. You'll need an alignment after.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 10:19 AM   #4
OneSickM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
That specific bolt might be able to come out if you use some vice grips and clamp the bolt in the front and turn it as if you're tightening

The only other thing I can think of is to remove the lower arm and drill out the bolt. You'll need an alignment after.
Your first option wont work because the screw has very small portion out from the lower arm. I wont be able to hold it tight.

The only option is to drill it out but as you said it required removing the lower arm to do so.

If I had air gun, it would have been more easier to drill it out.

I don't understand when some say it is very easy DIY. It is NOT! If you don't have required tools and probably air gun, don't even attempt it.

Screws are tightened really hard and if it is rusted then you are more screwed
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 11:41 PM   #5
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

It actually is an easy DIY however, all bets are off if the bolt is stuck.

PB Blaster is your best friend.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 12:35 PM   #6
OneSickM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
It actually is an easy DIY however, all bets are off if the bolt is stuck.

PB Blaster is your best friend.
I have used alot of WD-40 solution but with no luck before attempting to remove the screw
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #7
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

I live in SoCal which, due to lack of snow, may be why I've never had to deal with this? I would not be surprised if someone else had worked on the car and overtightened the bolt.

You can remove the lower A-arm without an alignment. Just make sure to mark the position of the eccentric bolt before removing. If you remove the A-arm, when re-installing, be EXTREMELY careful not to damage the rubber boot around the ball joint on the outside of the lower A-arm which connects the lower A-arm to the hub. Even know this is an issue I managed to damage 2 boots and I very rarely break things.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 04:48 PM   #8
OneSickM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole View Post
I live in SoCal which, due to lack of snow, may be why I've never had to deal with this? I would not be surprised if someone else had worked on the car and overtightened the bolt.

You can remove the lower A-arm without an alignment. Just make sure to mark the position of the eccentric bolt before removing. If you remove the A-arm, when re-installing, be EXTREMELY careful not to damage the rubber boot around the ball joint on the outside of the lower A-arm which connects the lower A-arm to the hub. Even know this is an issue I managed to damage 2 boots and I very rarely break things.
What happens if I damage the rubber around the ball joint? What problems can it cause?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 05:36 PM   #9
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickM View Post
What happens if I damage the rubber around the ball joint? What problems can it cause?
The actual ball joint is metal in delrin. The rubber is just a dust boot. Dust will get in (maybe) and eventually ruin the joint. Actually IIRC don't you have to undo this to do the spring install?

I was able to take a rubber boot off a new ball joint and install it on the old one.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 03:18 PM   #10
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole View Post
The actual ball joint is metal in delrin. The rubber is just a dust boot. Dust will get in (maybe) and eventually ruin the joint. Actually IIRC don't you have to undo this to do the spring install?

I was able to take a rubber boot off a new ball joint and install it on the old one.
You don't need to remove the ball joint when removing the spring.
There is a 18mm bolt head and a 21mm bolt head/nut that needs to be removed.
The lower spring perch can then be swung down to remove the spring. Unfortunately now that the bolt is stuck in the shock hole and spring perch, you'll need to remove the entire shock from the upper mount in the trunk and remove it all as one piece.

At least this is how I'm visualizing it. I've been adjusting my coilovers for the past few weekends so I'm an ace at it currently.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Theodore668.50