BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
sonus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Montego Blue 128i

Seatbelts and snow

Hey all, first post here. I test drove a 128i and 135i over the weekend. Awesome cars. It was my second time test driving actually, the first being in 2008, and at the time, it was well out of my price range so I went with a used WRX instead. I've been wanting that 1 series ever since, and I might actually be able to afford one now

Two downsides I noticed were the position of the seatbelt, and the length of the door relative to my seat position. I'm 5' 7" so I had the seat pretty far forward and my elbows bent. In this position, the seatbelt was way behind the seat and tough to reach. I also noticed that it was a little tricky to get out of the car without opening the door very wide, and with the long door I'd be constantly worried of hitting parked cars and such. Coming from a 4-door, I think it'll take some getting used to. Any other short people with these issues? What have you done about it?

I'm also a little hesitant about owning a RWD car in Massachusetts, and how it'll handle in the winter. Putting snow tires on my WRX turned that thing into a damn snowmobile, and I'm worried I might miss that a bit. How do folks find the 1 in snow (with snow tires)?

The only other big concern is convincing myself to spend the money...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
1on135_deal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

get a 335xi =X ur in mass dude massive snow nd crappy weather or else im kinda in the newengland area as well it becomes more of a spring summer fall car. Couple of people on here use billzacks or billacks tires i have seen videos of people just driving around in snow prettty cool just look it up on youtube.
      04-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
There are dozens of threads on the 1er in the snow (it's fine with snows).

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
sonus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1on135_deal View Post
get a 335xi =X ur in mass dude massive snow nd crappy weather or else im kinda in the newengland area as well it becomes more of a spring summer fall car. Couple of people on here use billzacks or billacks tires i have seen videos of people just driving around in snow prettty cool just look it up on youtube.
I considered it but it's way bigger and more expensive. I like the nimble size of the 1 and the lower pricetag. Maybe as my 2nd BMW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
There are dozens of threads on the 1er in the snow (it's fine with snows).
That's good to hear. Just wondering about seatbelts then I guess.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

I'm 5' 6", sure it's a pain to reach for the belt, but you'll get that in just about any coupe. No big problem for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Unfortunately, re the seatbelts & doors, being a 2 door it is what it is. My 5'0" wife complained about both the door size and difficulty in reaching the seatbelt for the entire 10 years she owned her Saab convertible and she's not too happy as a passenger in my 128i 'vert.

Perhaps, since you say you have your elbows bent, you could try the traditional Italian (straight-arm) driving position and move the seat back a bit. I position my seat as far back as possible while still permitting me to operate the clutch without strain.

And I find that opening the door to the first detent (about half-way) generally avoids any mishaps and allows me to slide in or out - as long as I keep my weight down.

Also, you might check out the CPO 1ers available on BMWUSA.com if you prefer not to buy new.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
ghostwind
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast

Get snow tires, drive well, and you'll do fine. I'm currently in a 6speed M3 and have had it for 3 winters w/o any issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
bbbradley
Resident Alien
Rep
Drives: A4 for now, Miata for fun!

4 snow tires will turn just about any car into a competent winter vehicle. Throw some common sense into the equation and you will have no problems. I've driven FWD, RWD, AWD, and 4WD in a variety of New England weather and without a doubt snow tires will make the biggest difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #9
nicssk
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonus View Post
Hey all, first post here. I test drove a 128i and 135i over the weekend. Awesome cars. It was my second time test driving actually, the first being in 2008, and at the time, it was well out of my price range so I went with a used WRX instead. I've been wanting that 1 series ever since, and I might actually be able to afford one now

Two downsides I noticed were the position of the seatbelt, and the length of the door relative to my seat position. I'm 5' 7" so I had the seat pretty far forward and my elbows bent. In this position, the seatbelt was way behind the seat and tough to reach. I also noticed that it was a little tricky to get out of the car without opening the door very wide, and with the long door I'd be constantly worried of hitting parked cars and such. Coming from a 4-door, I think it'll take some getting used to. Any other short people with these issues? What have you done about it?

I'm also a little hesitant about owning a RWD car in Massachusetts, and how it'll handle in the winter. Putting snow tires on my WRX turned that thing into a damn snowmobile, and I'm worried I might miss that a bit. How do folks find the 1 in snow (with snow tires)?

The only other big concern is convincing myself to spend the money...
I live in Boston and i drive my 135i in the winter. Throw on a good set of winter tires and you're all set. Never been stuck in the snow either.

Im thinking of parting with my 1 PM me if its any interest to you.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
We run the 128i and the 335i both year round in eastern Canada with good winter tires and no issues with either vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #11
sonus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwmcb View Post
We run the 128i and the 335i both year round in eastern Canada with good winter tires and no issues with either vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicssk View Post
I live in Boston and i drive my 135i in the winter. Throw on a good set of winter tires and you're all set. Never been stuck in the snow either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwind View Post
I'm currently in a 6speed M3 and have had it for 3 winters w/o any issues.
All good news Especially with nicssk, since your car has more power than the 128i I'd probably get, and this winter was f#@$ing awful.

And hey, just one thread away was this: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512869
Looks like it might be a good solution for that seatbelt, if I can't deal with it.

Last edited by sonus; 04-11-2011 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: Added link
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
Have you tried reaching for the seat belt "underhand" instead of overhand. Reach back next to your hip underhand...much easier to get to it.

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 07:55 AM   #13
sonus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP 135i View Post
Have you tried reaching for the seat belt "underhand" instead of overhand. Reach back next to your hip underhand...much easier to get to it.
Hmm, that sounds helpful. Thanks for the tip. I think I'll try to take the car for one last test drive and spend some time sitting in it and working out these little issues before deciding.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #14
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...CClistInterior

That should help with your seat belt problems

As for the long door, I've only had 2 door cars, you get used to it. Usually I wrap my fingers around the edge of the door so I don't ding other people when I get in and out, I'll feel it touch my finger before any damage occurs.
      04-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #15
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
I had to change the way I reach for the seatbelt with this car, because I too found it difficult to reach (and I'm 5'11").

In most cars, I reach across my torso with my right hand and pull the clip back down to my right hip. With the 1er, I find it works much better to reach straight back with my left hand. It gives me about an extra hand's length of reach.