BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

09-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
Btturbo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Red E90

Steering vibrations @80mph (I did search)

I have this issue, bought the car wtih volk wheels on it and know that is more than likely the culprit. I have read the sticky on the subject but didnt see anyone post that it was a vibration that would come and go. That is my case, almost every time I go over 80 (which is often on our autobahn toll road in Austin and IH35) I get a vibration in the steering wheel. Funny thing is, sometimes it will just go away for a few mins and then return again. Also, it is no worse at 120 than it is at 80........

I am going to get the front wheels rebalanced first, and if that don't work taking it to the dealer to verifiy there are no issues with calibers.

Just seeing if anyone else had similar and how ti was resolved.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Just curious, is this happening on the same stretch of road? Small chance it could be the road surface... Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
Btturbo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Just curious, is this happening on the same stretch of road? Small chance it could be the road surface... Just a thought.
Good question, because I did notice right away how sensitive the car was to the road surface (Only had the car for 3 weeks now). But no thats not the case, drove to Dallas from Austin last week (190 miles each way) on multiple surfaces with pretty much the same result throughout the trip.

It was on this trip that a Benz and Camaro came blasting by at around 100 mph, to which I promptly let the M3 stretch its legs and toyed with them a bit before backing off due to that stupid vibration!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Wheel balance, alignment, do you have spacers? Right tire pressure? Actual wheel bent? Condition of tires?

Can be a lot things.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Antonio1988
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW E92 M3

Horrid problem... those Volks are garbage and definitely the culprit. Sell them to me for $100 now before their value hits rock bottom

2012 BMW E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
C-M2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 SG M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btturbo View Post

I am going to get the front wheels rebalanced first, and if that don't work taking it to the dealer to verifiy there are no issues with calibers.

Find a road force balancing facility near you and have them re-balance the wheels. They'll be able to tell you if the tires are out of round, incorrectly balanced, ect. Just an idea of how much a off balance can effect the wheels is my wheels were .5 out of balance due to the fact that the place who originally balanced my wheels didn't recalibrate their machine in the correct intervals. This place mounted 1000's of tires weekly..

Shouldn't be the calipers. If anything the rotors but that would likely be felt at braking as well.

Current: 2009 Space Gray e92 M3 - Mod list too long to list
Gone: 2004 Jet Black/Black SMG M3
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
TTSam
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btturbo View Post
I have this issue, bought the car wtih volk wheels on it and know that is more than likely the culprit. I have read the sticky on the subject but didnt see anyone post that it was a vibration that would come and go. That is my case, almost every time I go over 80 (which is often on our autobahn toll road in Austin and IH35) I get a vibration in the steering wheel. Funny thing is, sometimes it will just go away for a few mins and then return again. Also, it is no worse at 120 than it is at 80........

I had the same issue before changing my tires. The tech who changed the tires re-balanced the wheels, and indicated one of the weights had dropped off previously - which probably was the cause of the vibration.

Almost always a tire balance issue. I have spacers as well - no vibration after the balance.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
iamcpap
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5M

I had this issue when I was running Volks, pulled to the left and vibrated over 80...

Did RoadForce balancing 2-3 times to no avail... Got car aligned to no avail...

Finally just put HRE'S on and problem went away. I am guessing it was a bad front tire from Hankook, but will never know.

My guess would be bad tire.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Where in Texas are you? I might be able to help you out.
      09-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #10
Btturbo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio1988 View Post
Horrid problem... those Volks are garbage and definitely the culprit. Sell them to me for $100 now before their value hits rock bottom

Hmm...let me think about that for one quick sec.....NO!
      09-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
Btturbo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hOnly View Post
Where in Texas are you? I might be able to help you out.
In Austin area, what you got in mind?
      09-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #12
Btturbo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSam View Post
I had the same issue before changing my tires. The tech who changed the tires re-balanced the wheels, and indicated one of the weights had dropped off previously - which probably was the cause of the vibration.

Almost always a tire balance issue. I have spacers as well - no vibration after the balance.
Sounds like this is definately the first step.....scheduling something soon.
      09-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
cambit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyooooJay View Post
Wheel balance, alignment, do you have spacers? Right tire pressure? Actual wheel bent? Condition of tires?

Can be a lot things.

In addition to the above, I would also check if the wheels are hubcentric

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #14
font9a
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
Of the 3 BMWs I've owned they have all had steering-wheel vibration problems solved by getting a road load alignment and wheel balance. The road load alignment makes a huge difference and I've always had to do one after new tires installed.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #15
crl8474
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I have this same issue. The dealership did a full alignment and Road Force balance twice. It has gotten slightly better but hasn't completely disappeared. Like your car, it doesn't happen all the time so I'm convinced that the car is simply sensitive to changes in the road surface. I notice it most on the North Dallas Tollway and specifically the newer sections added in the last 5-7 (or so) years.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 11:47 PM   #16
Btturbo
United_States
Rep

**update**

So, I finally had some time to get my car to a tire shop, they did a True Match, Hunter machine but they don't call it Road a Force. Anyway it was at a Discount Tire here in my area, bought many tires there on previous vehicles and they were more than happy to take care of me and provide special care to my wheels. I bought the care back mid-summer with the Volks on it. While inspecting the tires, the guy notes they are 2008 model year tires....wtf???? Still in great shape, not sure how they have been around that long, o well. So they do the drivers front first, machine tells them to rotate tire on wheel. Took two stout guys all the strength they have to rotate it about a quarter turn on the wheel. Remount and balance, then move to passenger side.
I noticed when the put it on balancer it appears not to be centered, they adjust twice, same result and then they guy grabs my paperwork and heads in to find me, I already know what's coming. He confirms, my wheel is bent. Dammit!!! They go ahead and balance and stick back on car.

To my surprise, hit the road and headed out to the toll (80 mph speed limit) and car is smooth!!! I thought for sure vibration would come right back, but it didn't. Guess it was not just the bent wheel but more a balance issue.

I guess now I need to try and hunt another wheel, have no idea what exact offset and all are currently on it....any advice on where to look for that info on the wheel and where to find Volk wheels would be great. Just don't feel comfortable leaving it on there.
      10-19-2013, 01:39 AM   #17
Arben72
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btturbo
So, I finally had some time to get my car to a tire shop, they did a True Match, Hunter machine but they don't call it Road a Force. Anyway it was at a Discount Tire here in my area, bought many tires there on previous vehicles and they were more than happy to take care of me and provide special care to my wheels. I bought the care back mid-summer with the Volks on it. While inspecting the tires, the guy notes they are 2008 model year tires....wtf???? Still in great shape, not sure how they have been around that long, o well. So they do the drivers front first, machine tells them to rotate tire on wheel. Took two stout guys all the strength they have to rotate it about a quarter turn on the wheel. Remount and balance, then move to passenger side.
I noticed when the put it on balancer it appears not to be centered, they adjust twice, same result and then they guy grabs my paperwork and heads in to find me, I already know what's coming. He confirms, my wheel is bent. Dammit!!! They go ahead and balance and stick back on car.

To my surprise, hit the road and headed out to the toll (80 mph speed limit) and car is smooth!!! I thought for sure vibration would come right back, but it didn't. Guess it was not just the bent wheel but more a balance issue.

I guess now I need to try and hunt another wheel, have no idea what exact offset and all are currently on it....any advice on where to look for that info on the wheel and where to find Volk wheels would be great. Just don't feel comfortable leaving it on there.
If it's bent just get it repaired. It's not worth getting another wheels that finish may or may not have aged/worn just like yours. Also it's an added unnecessary cost.
Appreciate 0