BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT

Engine Bay Cleaning

I'm planning on giving my car a full detail soon and wanted to give a good cleaning to the engine bay, I never took the water hose (free flowing water) to the engine bay before so do i need to cover up anything before doing so?

I know i have to have the engine bay completely cool down before starting, the only thing that looks expose is my EDC connectors.

Any input/advise will help
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, AKRA XPIPE, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

If you have anything other than dust, I'd use some P21S TAW, with a boars hair brush to agitate then rinse.

I don't think I ever explicitly covered any section, just don't go crazy spraying the water unless it's the block area.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I try to keep mine clean on a weekly basis so I won't have to go through doing a rinse in the future.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
If you have anything other than dust, I'd use some P21S TAW, with a boars hair brush to agitate then rinse.

I don't think I ever explicitly covered any section, just don't go crazy spraying the water unless it's the block area.
I think i still have some P21S TAW, thanks for the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I try to keep mine clean on a weekly basis so I won't have to go through doing a rinse in the future.
Yeah i got lazy after a year of owning the car and regret it now , after i clean up the engine bay I'm going to wipe it down when i wash my car!
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, AKRA XPIPE, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntmn View Post
Yeah i got lazy after a year of owning the car and regret it now , after i clean up the engine bay I'm going to wipe it down when i wash my car!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
DB
M3/Raptor
United_States
Rep
Drives: to the track

Cars can handle some direct spray in the engine bay with no problem. I've treated all of my cars the same with no problems: just cover the air intake and then wash. Here is a pretty good guide: http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-De...de/Engine-Bay/
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB View Post
Cars can handle some direct spray in the engine bay with no problem. I've treated all of my cars the same with no problems: just cover the air intake and then wash. Here is a pretty good guide: http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-De...de/Engine-Bay/
Thanks
Appreciate 0