BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

EXXEL Distributions

01-16-2014, 08:39 PM   #23
8k3
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Patron what do you like to do in TX? Always looking for new things to do
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 09:34 PM   #24
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8k3 View Post
Patron what do you like to do in TX? Always looking for new things to do
Hunt in west , south, east Texas for mule deer, elk, hogs, coyotes and white tail. Dove, qual and pheasants in west tx.

F1 and grand am at COTA, actual driving in the hill country and Harris hill road in San Marcos.

Fishing in all parts, from lakes to rivers though new Mexico and Colorado have more fun fly fishing

I've yet to find a better city for live music than Austin but Nashville is awesome.
I love working and doing business in Texas and so has most of my family. No income tax is pretty tough to beat.

Can't ski here but, can't have everything.

Water sports like power boats and jet skis all over the state, Sand sports and dune buggies in far west tx.

I guess if I really wanted to play hockey I could freeze some shit in Dallas and get a group of friends to mess around w sticks and a puck.

How about you?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 11:03 PM   #25
M0J0
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM3C '22 JKUR '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
I disagree with you 100% and advise that you leave and not come back.
Says the person from the worst city
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 11:12 PM   #26
8k3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
Hunt in west , south, east Texas for mule deer, elk, hogs, coyotes and white tail. Dove, qual and pheasants in west tx.

F1 and grand am at COTA, actual driving in the hill country and Harris hill road in San Marcos.

Fishing in all parts, from lakes to rivers though new Mexico and Colorado have more fun fly fishing

I've yet to find a better city for live music than Austin but Nashville is awesome.
I love working and doing business in Texas and so has most of my family. No income tax is pretty tough to beat.

Can't ski here but, can't have everything.

Water sports like power boats and jet skis all over the state, Sand sports and dune buggies in far west tx.

I guess if I really wanted to play hockey I could freeze some shit in Dallas and get a group of friends to mess around w sticks and a puck.

How about you?
Trying to figure it out to be honest. Not much of a hunter or fisherman, though I enjoying shooting. I like hiking but Austin trails are not very engaging (at least not up to par with Idaho where I lived for a few years). No skiing here either as you pointed out, which I enjoy. I like music but most places are dive bars and not my scene. Food is avg, though I love Rudy's and Countyline. I feel like I'm missing out on something great out here because everyone says it's great but can't find what exactly.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 12:01 AM   #27
2 SLOW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Trying to figure it out to be honest. Not much of a hunter or fisherman, though I enjoying shooting. I like hiking but Austin trails are not very engaging (at least not up to par with Idaho where I lived for a few years). No skiing here either as you pointed out, which I enjoy. I like music but most places are dive bars and not my scene. Food is avg, though I love Rudy's and Countyline. I feel like I'm missing out on something great out here because everyone says it's great but can't find what exactly.
Austin isn't for everybody. But it is the best area to be in Texas.

And there is a lot of great food in Austin...Rudys and County Line wouldn't make top 50 over all and neither would be top 5 for BBQ.

I haven't read the whole thread but do you have many friends in Austin, Austin is more fun with a few people.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 03:15 AM   #28
Koldun
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Damn...damn.. Tom ! but the day that you will...i hope that i'm invited my friend
Invited to his honeymoon? You Belgians are either really kinky or really fucking weird. Must be something in the chocolate.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #29
M0J0
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree Austin blows if you are above the college age. I have several friends that moved there from Houston and most moved back. If you are not big on the lake life and out super outdoorsy it is nothing special. There is not much to do there. It is super hipster. Austin is a place to visit not to live. I hear SA is even worse. I have some friends that went there not long ago for a weekend. They said it was really boring. I think the river walk is for old people. Anyways, if I have never been to texas. I would go straight to the hill country. If I was moving to Texas I would only live in Houston or DFW areas.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #30
8k3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SLOW View Post
Austin isn't for everybody. But it is the best area to be in Texas.

And there is a lot of great food in Austin...Rudys and County Line wouldn't make top 50 over all and neither would be top 5 for BBQ.

I haven't read the whole thread but do you have many friends in Austin, Austin is more fun with a few people.
Admittedly I have few friends but quality ones and we go out here and there, though the night life seems to be nothing but bar, bar, bar and mostly dive ones at that. I've over that scene; in my early mid 30's. Love the outdoors but in the heart of the city (greenbelt, etc) the trails are not so great. Perhaps in the hill country there are some? Got to look. Food wise, I got to say I've tried a ton of places, none were OMG good, avg at best. I'm originally from Chicago so I'm familiar with good food from all ethnic backgrounds. I'm not trying to be a pessimist, Austin is the town I live in, I truly want to enjoy it but haven't figured out how. By all means I'm open to suggestions or hell if anyone is free to hang out one weekend PM me.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #31
2 SLOW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Admittedly I have few friends but quality ones and we go out here and there, though the night life seems to be nothing but bar, bar, bar and mostly dive ones at that. I've over that scene; in my early mid 30's. Love the outdoors but in the heart of the city (greenbelt, etc) the trails are not so great. Perhaps in the hill country there are some? Got to look. Food wise, I got to say I've tried a ton of places, none were OMG good, avg at best. I'm originally from Chicago so I'm familiar with good food from all ethnic backgrounds. I'm not trying to be a pessimist, Austin is the town I live in, I truly want to enjoy it but haven't figured out how. By all means I'm open to suggestions or hell if anyone is free to hang out one weekend PM me.
That's not really my scene but I like going to some bars to relax that have cornhole and stuff.

My best friend lives on LT so whenever we are there we stay with him for the weekend and come into the city just for football games.

I'm surprised you haven't had some really good food, trying to think of some good places off the top of my head:
Uchi
Hopdoddy - cool burger place
Eddie Vs - usually good, but not an "Austin" place
Fonda San Miguel
Congress
Franklin - plan ahead

I love going to Wimberley and to visit our friends near Canyon Lake also.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 06:05 PM   #32
2 SLOW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0J0 View Post
I agree Austin blows if you are above the college age. I have several friends that moved there from Houston and most moved back. If you are not big on the lake life and out super outdoorsy it is nothing special. There is not much to do there. It is super hipster. Austin is a place to visit not to live. I hear SA is even worse. I have some friends that went there not long ago for a weekend. They said it was really boring. I think the river walk is for old people. Anyways, if I have never been to texas. I would go straight to the hill country. If I was moving to Texas I would only live in Houston or DFW areas.
Completely disagree about Austin above college age...

San Antonio isn't fun. I'm from Houston so I hate Dallas but I have some friends that moved there and they like it.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #33
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Okay, so M0JO, why did you bother writing to TomElktro's request for information about things to do in Texas. I'm sure he was looking for positive information.

You don't like Dallas, but you write you have never been there.

You don't think anything is great in Houston.

You wrote: "Get a little culture of Texas because Houston and Dallas are not really Texas?" Are you frakking kidding? There is lots of Texas history and Texas culture throughout the Houston area. (One hint: San Jacinto Battleground Park)

"Texas kind of sucks as a state...without oil it would be worthless." Since you've never been to Dallas, you probably haven't seen Telecom corridor. Houston's medical center is world renown. Aerospace? Transportation (DFW Airport and trucking/logistics). Finance in Dallas is big.

I'm not saying your opinion isn't valid; but you responding to someone asking about things to do -- what a big downer your response has been. Golden rule, sir, golden rule.

OP: I've lived in San Antonio (21 years); Austin (4 years); Dallas (10 years); Houston (10 years), and in Germany off-and-on. Private Message me if you want to learn more about any of these locations.

- V

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 11:07 PM   #34
Inf4life
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMcV3y View Post
Okay, so M0JO, why did you bother writing to TomElktro's request for information about things to do in Texas. I'm sure he was looking for positive information.

You wrote: "Get a little culture of Texas because Houston and Dallas are not really Texas?" Are you frakking kidding? There is lots of Texas history and Texas culture throughout the Houston area. (One hint: San Jacinto Battleground Park)

"Texas kind of sucks as a state...without oil it would be worthless." Since you've never been to Dallas, you probably haven't seen Telecom corridor. Houston's medical center is world renown. Aerospace? Transportation (DFW Airport and trucking/logistics). Finance in Dallas is big.

I'm not saying your opinion isn't valid; but you responding to someone asking about things to do -- what a big downer your response has been. Golden rule, sir, golden rule.

OP: I've lived in San Antonio (21 years); Austin (4 years); Dallas (10 years); Houston (10 years), and in Germany off-and-on. Private Message me if you want to learn more about any of these locations.

- V

And for a guy that seems to have a huge distaste for the state I find it ironic he lives here.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #35
M0J0
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMcV3y View Post

- V

If you look at my earlier posts I did list out quite a few things to do in Texas. Mainly in the hill country. Heck I was one of the only people that really listed out some things to do. This thread got a little off topic. I do think Texas is a pretty lame state. WHen my friends have friends or family in to visit they always ask me where to take them. They all run into the same problems. This is just not much of a tourist area. I think the hill country is the place to go for that sort of thing. Houston is a great city to live in. It is very different from the rest of Texas since most people here are not from Texas.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #36
mhjeep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
To get back to the original topic:

I was raised in Dallas but presently live in San Antonio and have lived in Houston.

The biggest things to do in both Dallas and Houston are fine dining and sporting events. Both cities offer a lot of both, with Dallas getting the nod for having all major sporting events. Both cities also have a lot of world class museums and if you include Fort Worth, DFW again maybe gets the nod.

While those cities aren't tourist towns in the sense that they don't have a beach or a mountain to ski on, both have a lot to see and do. Also, night life in Dallas and Houston are fairly big. Again, with the development of Uptown in Dallas, I might give Dallas the nod there too. Houston has Dallas beat on total number of restaurants and museums.

It really just depends on what you are looking for. As I said, I live in San Antonio and its not a super exciting city but it is close to a ton of small towns that each offer their own unique flavor (Gruene, Boerne, Fredericksburg, etc.) The geography is a lot more interesting in the SA/Austin/Hill Country part of Texas.

As far as what to do in April, I would recommend going to a NBA game or NHL game if you like that. Also, I am sure there will be some good concerts around that time.

Finally, if you are more into cowboy type activities, you should check out Fort Worth with the Stock Yards and Rodeo. You can also go to the Billy Bob's which is the world's largest honky-tonk.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0