BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

Mporium BMW

07-18-2011, 07:58 PM   #67
rye m3
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

I guess this mod will make older cars like a new one. I think the clutch action is far too light in my car. Seems like this "helper" spring does too much helping.

2007 997S - sold
2003 E46 M3 Steel Grey on Red- sold
1997 E36 M3 Arctic Silver on Black- sold
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #68
abehwang
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Just removed my clutch spring!!!
It's definitely not heavier than previous set up and it is more linear and smoother
however, I don't know if the little side-to-side wobble is gonna bother me later on
is there a way to stabilize this?
Some say they put the rod back in and it stabilized but some said it didn't
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #69
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by abehwang View Post
It's definitely not heavier than previous set up and it is more linear and smoother
It's all in your heads folks. Drain the clutch fluid, and operate the clutch pedal with your hand and you'd find out where the clutch grabs, there's ZERO assist. The spring is primarily to pull the clutch pedal all the way out and prevent premature throwout bearing wear. The spring also pulls the pedal to the floor when close to it, and that's why some folks might feel it lighter, but where it matters, at the friction point, you can release the pedal and it'd stay in the middle position. If there was a positive force acting on it all the time, pedal would pop out when released (no clutch fluid, as I said earlier). Those with newer cars could install the 2008 single spring (or maybe just removing the inner one does the trick; don't know), but I would not remove them all. Your call. Have a good one gang.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #70
abehwang
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
It's all in your heads folks. Drain the clutch fluid, and operate the clutch pedal with your hand and you'd find out where the clutch grabs, there's ZERO assist. The spring is primarily to pull the clutch pedal all the way out and prevent premature throwout bearing wear. The spring also pulls the pedal to the floor when close to it, and that's why some folks might feel it lighter, but where it matters, at the friction point, you can release the pedal and it'd stay in the middle position. If there was a positive force acting on it all the time, pedal would pop out when released (no clutch fluid, as I said earlier). Those with newer cars could install the 2008 single spring (or maybe just removing the inner one does the trick; don't know), but I would not remove them all. Your call. Have a good one gang.
Just to clarify, you know that there are two springs operating. Let's just say spring A and spring B.
Spring A is the one that pulls the clutch pedal all the way out to "prevent premature throwout bearing wear" and spring B is the one that pulls the pedal to the floor when close to it, and like you said it feels lighter because of the pull.

So I believe it's not in our heads. We took out spring B to take away the "lighter feeling" of the clutch and left spring A alone (which pulls the clutch back out). My shifts have become smoother due to this "linear" feel of the clutch instead of the heavy to soft pressure i felt before i took spring B out.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 02:55 AM   #71
DJDeez
Got my license back!
Canada
Rep
Drives: TransLink

Followed the instructions earlier this evening, took approximately ten minutes from start to finish. I am nothing short of impressed with the end result and regret not having done it sooner! I don't think it matters but the vehicle is an E92 M3, SOP-05/2008.
aFe cold air intake system (stage 2) ▫ Agency Power cat delete/section 2 midpipes ▫ Agency Power exhaust system ▫ Beltronics STiR Plus ▫ BMW M style (ZHP) weighted short shift knob ▫ CIC iDrive ▫ Clutch pedal spring removal ▫ Coding ▫ Evolve-R tune ▫ Laser Interceptor ▫ LUX H8 V3 Angel Eyes ▫ pickyeater334 clutch stop ▫ Rear fog lights (2011 light control switch assembly) ▫ T3 Alpha laser gun protection ▫ Turner Motorsport power pulley kit
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 03:04 AM   #72
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

uh ow mine fell out randomly
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=574322

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #73
irish77380
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe (2008)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
Did it last night, pain in the ass to access but got it eventually. Tried using a retaining clip pliers on the E Clips but too hard to get at. Ended up using a screw driver to get them off. Makes a real difference to car, well worth the effort!! But still a little bit concerned about why BMW put the f@cker in there in the first place. Any of you guys had any issues yet??
      11-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #74
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X6MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X6MC  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3  [8.68]
Most people who have done this mod seems to have an 08 build. Will this help on 2010?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 11:49 PM   #75
DemonEye
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe ESS VT2-625

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [0.00]
2012 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
I'm curious too, seems a lot of the benefits seem to be towards the older build E9x M3's. I drove my E46 M3 today and forgot how much I miss the feel of that car, it actually takes a little bit of effort to depress the clutch pedal. My 2012 M3 pedal just feels too "light" or "easy" to push down. Will removing the newer two spring setup actually make it a little stiffer to push down? That's what I'm looking for, more resistance. The way it feels now is all I have to do is very gently push down and the clutch pedal hits the floor. Coming from an E36 M3 to E46 M3 to the E92, I want to put in a little effort to depress the clutch pedal, I'm just used to it from the previous M's and miss that feel.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #76
roddyc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BMW M5

I just did this to my car (unfortunately for the guys above me, I have an 08) and took it for a spin.

The verdict: my best mod so far. The downshifts from 3rd to 2nd used to be hit or miss in terms of smoothness but with the spring out, the engagement point on the clutch is a lot less vague and no more herky jerky downshifts for me. Only complaints I have are that the first half inch of travel is a little mushy now (for lack of a better word) and there is a little bit of side-to-side play with the clutch pedal, but the car is so much easier to drive.

Took me an hour longer then it should have, but I'm a happy camper overall!

On a side note, how did you guys get the pin out on the top? I was able to slide it out enough to remove the spring assembly, but the brake pedal blocks the extra quarter inch I need to get the pin all the way out. I also broke the top clip trying to get it out since I couldn't figure out how to orient it to slide it out cleanly.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 05:01 AM   #77
reechar
Poorhouse
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddyc View Post
I just did this to my car (unfortunately for the guys above me, I have an 08) and took it for a spin.

The verdict: my best mod so far. The downshifts from 3rd to 2nd used to be hit or miss in terms of smoothness but with the spring out, the engagement point on the clutch is a lot less vague and no more herky jerky downshifts for me. Only complaints I have are that the first half inch of travel is a little mushy now (for lack of a better word) and there is a little bit of side-to-side play with the clutch pedal, but the car is so much easier to drive.

Took me an hour longer then it should have, but I'm a happy camper overall!

On a side note, how did you guys get the pin out on the top? I was able to slide it out enough to remove the spring assembly, but the brake pedal blocks the extra quarter inch I need to get the pin all the way out. I also broke the top clip trying to get it out since I couldn't figure out how to orient it to slide it out cleanly.
I came here to say almost the same exact thing. Just performed the mod on my 2008.. One of the best mods done yet. Definitely easier to drive, I have the same slight side-to-side play. I don't think it'll bother me. I think my throttle pedal (even though it is on the floor) it also has some side to side play.

Other Notes: Maybe its my build year, but I didn't have T25's i I had T20 for screws. Also I had the same issue as the guy above me. I couldn't get the pin to slide all the way out, I kinda jimmied it around and popped out the whole assembly.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 11:26 PM   #78
marksae
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

To add another data point. I just did this mod to my 09 E90 (July 09 Build) w/ 30k miles. My spring assembly had 2 springs in it. I'm basically gonna reiterate what everyone in this thread already said.

Removing the spring assembly did cause the pedal to have extra side-to-side play. But after driving the car w/o the spring, I really like the way the clutch feels. I can live w/ extra side-to-side play in the pedal. That extra play doesn't affect the clutch actuation. I barely notice the extra play while driving.

The clutch pedal effort did increase slightly, but not much (maybe by 10%). It's nice to be able to feel where the engagement point is. I've only driven the car 2 miles since doing this mod, so it might just be my imagination. But my shifts feel smoother!

Overall, I'm really happy with this mod. I feel more connected while driving.

Next mod, illuminated ZHP knob!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #79
joshparzi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 3-Series

I just removed my spring on my 2008 e90. The M3 is my first stick shift car and I always felt that it was hard to drive cause of the clutch always trying to pop out. After removing the spring I can't help but wonder why this spring is there in the first place.

I think this is a case of German over-engineering!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #80
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

If anyone is worried about doing this: I wrote the DIY just over 3 years ago and haven't any problems with the pedal or the clutch
Appreciate 1
jvictormp876.50
      01-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #81
mtl88
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

I just did this mod and as everyone has said this a must do. It is so much easier to have smooth shifts now. I definitely recommend removing the spring.
If you use needle nose pliers you will be able to remove the top pin by wiggling it out.
I'm driving an 08 m3 sedan with 10 000 miles. I should have done this mod much much sooner.
I would not have been able to remove the clips without a curved pick, a mirror and a flashlight. This is a must do. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. Driving this car is so much more enjoyable.

Have a good one!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #82
ijnoj09
modjunkie
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Just did this on my 2011 e90 m3 and like everyone's been saying it gives the clutch more linear and consistent feel... faster and smoother shifts. I just used a micro precision screwdriver to push the clips out. I've had my car since last June and just could never get used to the feel and finally decided to pull the trigger and take that spring out. Together with the clutch stop mod, it's great now.

Instagram: @jonji_pas

Last edited by ijnoj09; 01-30-2012 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #83
irish77380
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe (2008)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish77380 View Post
Did it last night, pain in the ass to access but got it eventually. Tried using a retaining clip pliers on the E Clips but too hard to get at. Ended up using a screw driver to get them off. Makes a real difference to car, well worth the effort!! But still a little bit concerned about why BMW put the f@cker in there in the first place. Any of you guys had any issues yet??
As you can see above I did it back in September. During a moment of boredom today I spotted the spring sitting on a shelf in the Garage, then had a crazy idea. What if I refitted the spring upside down, with the wider spaced coils at the top? Would it make a difference?? So I did (f@cking pain in the ass getting it back on but hey I was bored anyway). Took it for a test drive and to my surprise it feels way better back in there. Linear, but much less force required than with the spring removed. Perfect shifts just less effort. Is this just my imagination? Has anyone else tried it??
      03-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #84
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

I was waiting on this too to hear hte long term reports.. anyone out there care to comment or do a long-time review?

Any problems with service and them noticing?
Early clutch replacement?
      03-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #85
ruff1017
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 6speed

No issues on mine! It works great.
I did mine about a year ago.

Happy motoring!
Appreciate 1
jvictormp876.50
      04-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #86
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

I really hate to bring this thread up, especially as a 328 driver *flame suit on* but my buddy and I were talking about BMW manuals a few minutes ago. We discussed how the M3 does not have a CDV as the regular E9Xs do. He said that only M3s have the clutch pedal spring but not the 328 and 335. As I am out of town I cannot go and check, but do 328s also have the clutch spring?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #87
screamguitar47
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

great mod! Clutch feels 1000 times better.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #88
daizo
Japan
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I did mine 1 year ago as well. No issue so far and the clutch does feel much direct than before.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0