BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

05-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
Bx Tpr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 23 CSL

Question DCT Limp mode wtf?

Drove the car hard on my way back home from work (3am). Got up at 9am as I'm driving to the parkway the yellow warning cog comes up on the cluster and the DCT goes into limp mode. Odd numbered gears only were available for the 30 minute drive to work. I park it and a few hours later the DCT is no longer in limp mode. WTF? Has this happened to anyone before? If so please post your findings. The car is now at the service department awaiting word from BMW on whether its a mechanical or software issue.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

How many miles and do you normally beating on the car ?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
Bx Tpr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
How many miles and do you normally beating on the car ?
It isn't a daily driver and currently at 5000 miles. The tech called me asking if I was driving it hard because the readout said the DCT temps were high. I told him I was but the limp mode kicked in after the car was parked for 3 hours. He was surprised as well. He also said that BMW responded saying the DCT has a separate break in period which I've never heard about. They're going to reset the DCT and engine computer and get on it a bit to see what happens. If I get any new info I'll pass it along.
i'm still trying to find more info on here. Any upgraded tranny cooler kits out there? lol
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx Tpr View Post
It isn't a daily driver and currently at 5000 miles. The tech called me asking if I was driving it hard because the readout said the DCT temps were high. I told him I was but the limp mode kicked in after the car was parked for 3 hours. He was surprised as well. He also said that BMW responded saying the DCT has a separate break in period which I've never heard about. They're going to reset the DCT and engine computer and get on it a bit to see what happens. If I get any new info I'll pass it along.
i'm still trying to find more info on here. Any upgraded tranny cooler kits out there? lol
Thats why i asked you how many miles !
Well 5000 miles shouldn't be clutches issue and i doubt that you heated up the oil that bad.I've seen guys beat on them on the track with no issues.
I'm sure it's just a glitch in the system and once they reset DCT adaptation and re-align the clutches,it will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxist View Post
What's going on with all these DCT issue threads, lately?
Seriously, they are dropping like flies. Good luck OP
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

And I'm about to go from 6mt to DCT.
OP good luck, hope you get it fixed quick

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxist View Post
What's going on with all these DCT issue threads, lately?
Seriously, they are dropping like flies. Good luck OP
I just went DCT to 6MT. No more DCT worries here!
      05-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
Bx Tpr
Captain
Rep

UPDATE: Just got the car back from BMW. According to the tech the DCT fluid overheated and before the limp mode could kick in while driving I parked it. The computer(s) stored the faults and when I turned the car back on a few hours later the limp mode kicked in. Knowing what I know now I'll let the car cool down a few miles before I park it. They checked the fluid and nothing out of the ordinary so they're ruling out any mechanical problems.

The tech did tell me that the DCT is still in its break-in period which none of us knew existed. Current mileage is 3500 and not 5000 like I thought. Shows you how much I actually drive the car. He's waiting for BMW to get back to him on that. Two techs came up to me asking me whether I was tracking the car wondering how I could get the temps up that high lol

Bottom line.....it isn't broke and I plan on driving this thing more often. Leaving it parked is a sin and this is probably my punishment lol

Thanks for the responses gents.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx Tpr View Post
UPDATE: Just got the car back from BMW. According to the tech the DCT fluid overheated and before the limp mode could kick in while driving I parked it. The computer(s) stored the faults and when I turned the car back on a few hours later the limp mode kicked in. Knowing what I know now I'll let the car cool down a few miles before I park it. They checked the fluid and nothing out of the ordinary so they're ruling out any mechanical problems.

The tech did tell me that the DCT is still in its break-in period which none of us knew existed. Current mileage is 3500 and not 5000 like I thought. Shows you how much I actually drive the car. He's waiting for BMW to get back to him on that. Two techs came up to me asking me whether I was tracking the car wondering how I could get the temps up that high lol

Bottom line.....it isn't broke and I plan on driving this thing more often. Leaving it parked is a sin and this is probably my punishment lol

Thanks for the responses gents.
great news! thanks for the update, take it out on the track sometime, it's so much fun

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0