BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

08-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Review: Nitto Invo 305/25/20

All,

I have had the chance to drive around on the Nitto Invo 305/25/20 for a couple months now and having nothing but good things to say. Roads here in Miami are good for the most part so I am sure that helps with keeping road noise down but there is little to none. I guess when comparing to the other tires in its class, its a great option with an attractive price tag to the PS2 which I also have a good amount of experience with. I also had the opportunity to test the tires out in the rain and I can say I have no complaints there either. Obviously I wasn't driving aggressively but the car felt stable and was glued to the road.

I can honestly say this tire is a great option for those with wheels around 11 inches wide (305/25/20).

I know I am just adding to the other great Invo reviews but thought you guys would be interested since the 305/25/20 is a popular size.

More Info:

Click Here

If anyone has any questions regarding the tires feel free to ask.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
FWIW, here's the C&D review of the Invos. They finished 8th place out of 9 tires in a review that compares 9 affordable tires vs the Michelin PS2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car and Driver
If we rated tires on tread design, the Nitto Invos would score high. The slashes that crisscross intriguingly through the tread had us envisioning a vicious Star Wars light-saber showdown taking place right there on the edge of the tire.

Unfortunately, the Nittos’ performance was less inspiring. They were second from the bottom in both dry lap time and braking, with both drivers reporting a soft feeling at the limit and that they were difficult to drive precisely because the grip would taper off in a nonlinear fashion. This led to more oversteer than most of the other tires exhibited, and even though they had an average skidpad run (0.91 g), the Invos left both drivers wishing for more grip.

Things were better in the wet, where Geswein ranked the Invos tops for precise responses, tied with the Dunlops and the benchmark Michelins. The tires’ predictability inspired confidence, although their lap time was still exactly in the middle.

Fairly quiet on the street loop, the Invos were below average in the dry and average in the wet, which put them in eighth place. Nitto does offer a higher-performance tire, the NT05, which conceivably could have fared better but is not available in the size specified for our test.
      08-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
FWIW, here's the C&D review of the Invos. They finished 8th place out of 9 tires in a review that compares 9 affordable tires vs the Michelin PS2.
Man- I totally agree with you and I'm really confused.
A few reviews I read from reputable source like AA, C&D and The Truth about cars.

AA- likes them.
(this one)

C&D- hates them (most detailed test and review).
(link is in his thread)

The Truth about Cars- likes them.
(link of this tire review: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/nit...e-tire-review/ )

I'm so lost.

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

In regards to the Invo placing second to last in Car and Driver, the NT05 would have faired much better. Unfortunately, Nitto did not offer the tested size in the NT05. All the other tires in the test are in the same category as the NT05 so it was not a fair comparison. The Invo is a good all-around tire but the test was skewed toward dry performance.

There is no doubt it is a good all around tire guys, it just depends on what you are looking for. The tire is going to be perfect for the majority of us IMO
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Nitto Invo will more than do the job for the average (even aggressive) M3 driver.

I have had them for over a year and they are GREAT tires, they perform incredibly in the rain as well.

Im sticking to Nitto Invo for this car, for sure!
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #6
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post
Man- I totally agree with you and I'm really confused.
A few reviews I read from reputable source like AA, C&D and The Truth about cars.
Back around 1999, I bought several different types of Nittos for my cars. I'm trying to remember the numbers but I had the 405, the model up from that one I think the 415 and the 555 which I think was the best tire at the time. I had bad experiences with all 3 sets. The 405 I had fall apart on me, almost as if it were a retread. All of them had lots of tire noise. All of them developed welts on them and I swear I didn't hit any potholes. On those cars I replaced them with Dunlop SP9000s at the time and I couldn't believe how much better the Dunlops were and the SP9000s aren't even that great a tire. Grip, road noise, durability...

So when the opportunity came to sponsor tires for my car at some of the shows I insisted on another brand. I'm sure they've improved on their tires but my previous experiences leave a very bad taste in my mouth.
      08-23-2009, 04:09 PM   #7
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
I have the INVO's and honestly they aren't that great of a tire in terms of performance. The steering response has reduced greatly and high speed cornering has also suffered as the INVO's have a much more flexible sidewall compared to even the PS2's.

In the wet I wouldn't say they are bad, but I never drive hard in the rain.

The grip is actually IMO on par with the PS2's but due to the weak sidewalls you can feel the tire rolling over and then losing grip when you really start pushing the limits of a corner. Breakaway with these tires are very unpredictable and snap back real hard when traction is gained. Just my 2c...

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
antreas E46 M3
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Cabrio

I have a vorsteiner rims on my E46 M3 the rear rims are 10,5" wide and my question is: will 305/25/20 be ok on rim or i need smaler size?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps

Quote:
Originally Posted by antres View Post
I have a vorsteiner rims on my E46 M3 the rear rims are 10,5" wide and my question is: will 305/25/20 be ok on rim or i need smaler size?

Last edited by STi_traitor; 12-16-2012 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0