BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

09-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
madburnz
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

New E90 Owner

Just picked up a Space Grey 2009 E90 with every option except PDC, Fold Down Rear Seat & 19" Wheels. The person who originally ordered this car did so exactly as I would have, minus not getting the fold down rear seat...that is kind of a strange ommission when it is included in the Cold Weather package.

The M3 as you all know is absolutely amazing. My previous ride was a 2008 E92 335i which I spent several thousands of dollars trying to make perform like an M3 (primarily suspension work, wanted to put in a limited slip diff), but the costs to continue down that path and really get there would have been way too much. In the end it is so nice to have the real thing and not worry about voiding my warranty.

Finally I can say I drive the best of the best, no compromises is nice for a change. Sure it is a lot of money and I could never stomach spending 70K or more for a brand new one, but a lightly used one around 50K fits the bill nicely.

That leads me to my question -

My car is a 2009 built in August 2009 as was sold a month later in September 09. Is that the cutoff for the model year changeover for the E90 M3?

Seems like a weird month as I would have thought a car build that late in the year would be a 2010.

It doesn't really matter but if anyone knows why the cutoff is so late in the year that would be great as not knowing is a bit annoying, but certainly not life changing in anyway. I have also read some threads where 2011's are actually being built after 2012 model years. Weird way to run a factory I suppose...

Finally, here is my list of cars from when I started driving in the mid 80's. I am sure you can tell when I got to start choosing and paying for my own cars - was not too long into my glorious driving career.

Dodge Omni
Chrysler New Yorker
Toyota Celica
Toyota Supra
Jeep Wrangler
Toyota MR2
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Honda Prelude
BMW 328i
Audi TT
Lexus IS350
BMW 335i
BMW M3

Some real pieces of crap, some decent ones. So far the M3 is the best but I both hated and loved all of these cars at one time or another for a variety of reasons.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 11:48 PM   #2
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Welcome and let us know why you hate your M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 12:42 AM   #3
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Congrats!!

Picking up my new e90 in Europe next week! Soooo excited!!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #4
madburnz
United_States
Rep

ED wll be an awesome experience chumra! If I ever decide to buy a another new BMW and ED is available on the model I get, I will be able to check off driving the ring from my bucket list.

Ok..maybe hate was a strong word for the M3 as I only hated them because I did not have one! The only suprise so far is how you can almost watch the gas gauge drop in real time. It is nuts how much gas this thing consumes and how quickly it does it.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
jmarino21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive

OP,

Your 09 is definitely towards the end of that "cutoff" for the next model year. I'm looking for an 09 myself and have found some that were put into service almost a year before yours was. Pretty nice to have two full years left on the warranty! How much did you pay and how many miles on the car?

Also...pics or it didn't happen!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
madburnz
United_States
Rep

They gave me 24.5 for the 335 (2008 Coupe 6SP with 28K miles), paid 52K for the M3 DCT (24K miles).

I know it was probably not enough for my car and too much for the M3, but it was the color I wanted, fully optioned out, and at a dealer 5 minutes from my house. I have been looking for a year and have not seen this particular car anywhere - so I jumped on it when I saw it come available for sale.

So while I probably overpaid in the grand scheme of things it was an easy deal, did not take up too much of my time, and had it sitting in the garage before the wife could change her mind.

A few things happened the first time she drove it.

1. She started the car with the windows down in the garage, turned to me and said "this is a god damn race car, isn't it"

2. On the way to pick up our son at daycare she did not take it over 2500 RPM.

3. Comments how much nicer it rides than the 335

4. After I told her not to pull up to the curb and stay back about a foot because the car is very low to the ground, she drives right into it - just a little scratch but she is now banned from driving the M3!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #7
abehwang
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by madburnz View Post
They gave me 24.5 for the 335 (2008 Coupe 6SP with 28K miles), paid 52K for the M3 DCT (24K miles).

I know it was probably not enough for my car and too much for the M3, but it was the color I wanted, fully optioned out, and at a dealer 5 minutes from my house. I have been looking for a year and have not seen this particular car anywhere - so I jumped on it when I saw it come available for sale.

So while I probably overpaid in the grand scheme of things it was an easy deal, did not take up too much of my time, and had it sitting in the garage before the wife could change her mind.

A few things happened the first time she drove it.

1. She started the car with the windows down in the garage, turned to me and said "this is a god damn race car, isn't it"

2. On the way to pick up our son at daycare she did not take it over 2500 RPM.

3. Comments how much nicer it rides than the 335

4. After I told her not to pull up to the curb and stay back about a foot because the car is very low to the ground, she drives right into it - just a little scratch but she is now banned from driving the M3!
LOL
FOREVER BANNED hahhahaha
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

Congrats on the new ride.
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Just picked up a Space Grey 2009 E90 with every option except PDC, Fold Down Rear Seat & 19" Wheels. The person who originally ordered this car did so exactly as I would have, minus not getting the fold down rear seat...that is kind of a strange ommission when it is included in the Cold Weather package.

The M3 as you all know is absolutely amazing. My previous ride was a 2008 E92 335i which I spent several thousands of dollars trying to make perform like an M3 (primarily suspension work, wanted to put in a limited slip diff), but the costs to continue down that path and really get there would have been way too much. In the end it is so nice to have the real thing and not worry about voiding my warranty.

Finally I can say I drive the best of the best, no compromises is nice for a change. Sure it is a lot of money and I could never stomach spending 70K or more for a brand new one, but a lightly used one around 50K fits the bill nicely.

That leads me to my question -

My car is a 2009 built in August 2009 as was sold a month later in September 09. Is that the cutoff for the model year changeover for the E90 M3?

Seems like a weird month as I would have thought a car build that late in the year would be a 2010.

It doesn't really matter but if anyone knows why the cutoff is so late in the year that would be great as not knowing is a bit annoying, but certainly not life changing in anyway. I have also read some threads where 2011's are actually being built after 2012 model years. Weird way to run a factory I suppose...

Finally, here is my list of cars from when I started driving in the mid 80's. I am sure you can tell when I got to start choosing and paying for my own cars - was not too long into my glorious driving career.

Dodge Omni
Chrysler New Yorker
Toyota Celica
Toyota Supra
Jeep Wrangler
Toyota MR2
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Honda Prelude
BMW 328i
Audi TT
Lexus IS350
BMW 335i
BMW M3

Some real pieces of crap, some decent ones. So far the M3 is the best but I both hated and loved all of these cars at one time or another for a variety of reasons.
Congratulations on your new ride, hope it's a keeper for a while

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
Blotman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
That's the best reaction I've heard! It's only a race car if you actually plan to race it though
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #11
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Congrats. Now put up some pics.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #12
k5ng
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 M4 Mineral Grey/DCT

Congrats on your new ride!

2008 E92 335xi Sparkling Graphite/Coral Red (gone)
2011 E93 M3 6MT JZB/Ext Bamboo (gone)
2013 E93 M3 DCT SSII/Palladium,Blk,Blk (gone)
2016 F83 M4 DCT MG/Black
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 11:49 PM   #13
Benjjman007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50iMSport & MP4-12C

Garage List
Congrats! I believe the MY changes for Sept Build... So since you are an August build you are 2009.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #14
madburnz
United_States
Rep

Some pics

Thanks for the kind welcome everyone!

Been reading these forums for years and really appreciate everyone's knowledge about cars and the wit and humor on some posts is too funny.

I should have know I would need to post some pics and had some ready when I posted a few days ago.

I was out test fitting my 18" Rims from my old 335i and so far they seem to fit ok. Snapped a few pics too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #15
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Congrats! From the outside ooks the same as my car minus the rear diffuser!
      09-24-2011, 01:56 PM   #16
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Congrats! I think your hood is open. :P
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #17
madburnz
United_States
Rep

After taking the pic I noticed the hood seems misaligned as it is in the closed position. I will have the dealer check it out next week - as far as I can tell the car has not been in an accident as all the pieces and the hood are original so I hope they can fix it!

For anyone that lives in Boston I bought my 335i from BMW of Peabody and for service they give loaners, which is a nice thing. I called to make an appointment for this car and since I did not buy it they won't give me a loaner. (even though the M3 was originally purchased from them by the original owner and I have bought 2 cars from them previously)

So I called up my sales guy at Burlington Audi where I purchased the M3, they called over to BMW of Sudbury and set me up properly. The service guy at BMW of Sudbury told me they give loaners to anyone that brings their car in for service, whether you bought from them or not, and even if it out of warranty. The will even come pick up the car and drop off the loaner car if you give them enough notice.

Not sure why these dealers like BMW of Peabody can't get their act together. Once you bought the car it is all about service and most likely my next new BMW purchase will be at BMW of Sudbury because of this simple policy - wife needs a new car in 2012 and really likes the new X3.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #18
jimib
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Service problems

I just bought an M3 off of a lease from BMW of Peabody. They said the oil, brake fluid and filters were changed. Upon inspection the work was never done. The air filter still has the original date on it!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #19
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimib View Post
I just bought an M3 off of a lease from BMW of Peabody. They said the oil, brake fluid and filters were changed. Upon inspection the work was never done. The air filter still has the original date on it!
You bought an 08 with the original air filter? Wow hope you did not spend to much as that car is obviously trashed with little to no maintence. As long as you plan to only keep it a year or two, you should be good to go
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 10:41 PM   #20
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
"this is a god damn race car, isn't it"
did you say hell yeah it is now get in and shut up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Welcome and let us know why you hate your M3
you will not regret it my friend.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0