BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

08-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
ajvee
Major
Rep
Drives: None

Exclamation Is this normal maintenance?

Guys,

I hope you are doing well. I am considering buying a 2008 M3 with 6k miles. I requested some service information from the salesman and he sent me bulletin number 336950 which has some work performed that doesn't sound like routine maintenance. Here are the details of his response:

"The claim number for 336950 replaced some engine bearings and bolts, realigned gears, and adjusted the camshaft timing. I talked with the service advisor and they said that the work appears to be more of an adjustment issue. Nothing major listed"

This work seems to have coincided with the 1200 mile service, so I am not sure if this is just part of the routine 1200 mile service.

I would like your opinion on whether this is something that is odd and whether it should prevent me from making an offer on the car.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
Dengel
Non-Guido Jersey Resident
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow Jeep Rubicon

this might be normal. I think i remember hearing about main bearing issues on 08s and the gear realigned gears may be an effort to fix the 1-2 shift issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
ajvee
Major
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengel View Post
this might be normal. I think i remember hearing about main bearing issues on 08s and the gear realigned gears may be an effort to fix the 1-2 shift issue.
That does make me feel better! Did you by chance have this issue?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
The claim number for 336950 replaced some engine bearings and bolts, realigned gears, and adjusted the camshaft timing.
That's FAR from normal man. That requires engine removal and teardown AFAIK. I've only heard a few cases with main bearing problems, but just started a thread wondering if there's more to the issue than we know about. Anyway, I'd RUN AWAY from that car; they're selling it with only 6K miles for a reason. My reasoning is this: that job was the first for ANY dealer, and the chances of not having done the job perfectly are high, but the chances of having screwed something else are higher still. The great majority of lemoned cars start with major issues like this. As a side note, I wouldn't even consider the car at any price unless ALL main bearings were replaced (not just the bad ones), and if a different dealer inspects the engine with a microscope. Unless you're a gambler at heart, I'd move on. Much rather buy a car with light (cosmetic) crash damage than this, but to each his own. Good luck man.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-06-2010 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
Dengel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
That does make me feel better! Did you by chance have this issue?
I still have this issue. I crunch second everytime i go from a dig. It really makes me look like a crappy driver.

Last edited by Dengel; 08-29-2010 at 11:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 12:55 AM   #6
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengel View Post
I chip second everytime i go from a dig. It really makes me look like a crappy driver.
chip second, go from a dig??? What is that supposed to mean?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
Dengel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
chip second, go from a dig??? What is that supposed to mean?
I have a tough time shifting into second smoothly during a pull from a dead stop
Appreciate 0