BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Encore X-pipe in the mail. Thoughts before install

Gents,

I got an Encore Innovation X-pipe with HFC & Resonators comming. I've seen many reviews for Fabspeed and I'm wondering if I made a bad purchase as it seems Fabspeed is a bit more popular. EI has moded the flange connection to the headers so should fit well. I'm more worried about if the EI system will trigger a CEL more often or is the quality of the Cats as good as Fabspeed and will I have any issues?

Second thought. I'm back and forth with what exhaust to get. Remus Race or Sport. From the video's the R/Race sounds much better. I know it'll be louder but how much louder at normal driving can it be compared to the Remus Sport or any sport exhaust? Would one be able to compare the loudness of this X-pipe system pared up to a Race exhaust at normal driving compared to say a Lambo or Ferrari? I'm not trying to immulate an exotic Italian car, just wondering how much louder would it be. I've heard many drive by but haven't been able to hear an M3 with an X-pipe & Race exhaust up close. I don't think anyone in the UK has this set up yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
Ben335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Gents,

I got an Encore Innovation X-pipe with HFC & Resonators comming. I've seen many reviews for Fabspeed and I'm wondering if I made a bad purchase as it seems Fabspeed is a bit more popular. EI has moded the flange connection to the headers so should fit well. I'm more worried about if the EI system will trigger a CEL more often or is the quality of the Cats as good as Fabspeed and will I have any issues?

Second thought. I'm back and forth with what exhaust to get. Remus Race or Sport. From the video's the R/Race sounds much better. I know it'll be louder but how much louder at normal driving can it be compared to the Remus Sport or any sport exhaust? Would one be able to compare the loudness of this X-pipe system pared up to a Race exhaust at normal driving compared to say a Lambo or Ferrari? I'm not trying to immulate an exotic Italian car, just wondering how much louder would it be. I've heard many drive by but haven't been able to hear an M3 with an X-pipe & Race exhaust up close. I don't think anyone in the UK has this set up yet.
I remember seeing some people reporting CEL with the EI system. Some one had one for sale and he was reporting it threw a CEL. I don't think any of the Fabspeed units have done that.

I am not familiar with the Remus exhaust as I have only really heard the Eisenmann Race and Sport. The Race with Xpipe is loud, no bones about it. Not in a bad way, but still loud. If your car is a daily driver as mine is, I would highly recommend a quieter exhaust unless you are the type of person that likes loud exhausts. The Xpipe will make any exhaust you get louder and more aggressive sounding.
      10-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks,

I had talked to the guys at Encore a while back when I orderd the pipe and they said that there was someone that had a CEL and also talking ot Fabspeed about 6 months ago mentioned someone had a CEL but they said it was because of a blown fuse and something about that the O2 sensor was damaged durring install of the X-pipe so once it was fixed it went away. Don't know for sure but supposedly it's about the Cell count which both systems from Fabspeed and Encore are both 200 Cel. I'm going to assume that that is what makes the difference and not the quality of them. I'm probebly wrong, don't know. I've read that Encore uses Cats made in the US and Fabspeed uses German made ones. Does that make a difference? I have no idea. Maybe someone can shed some light on this?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
Ben335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Thanks,

I had talked to the guys at Encore a while back when I orderd the pipe and they said that there was someone that had a CEL and also talking ot Fabspeed about 6 months ago mentioned someone had a CEL but they said it was because of a blown fuse and something about that the O2 sensor was damaged durring install of the X-pipe so once it was fixed it went away. Don't know for sure but supposedly it's about the Cell count which both systems from Fabspeed and Encore are both 200 Cel. I'm going to assume that that is what makes the difference and not the quality of them. I'm probebly wrong, don't know. I've read that Encore uses Cats made in the US and Fabspeed uses German made ones. Does that make a difference? I have no idea. Maybe someone can shed some light on this?
Yes, that is the difference. Cell count are the same but where they are made is the big difference. AA also used 200 cell, but throw a CEL. From what I understand, German Made HJS are the best and the most expensive cats out there, but will absolutely not throw a CEL. Fabspeed uses the HJS units.

Here is one for sale and he had a CEL even though it is a 200 cell cat.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299592
      10-01-2009, 11:47 PM   #5
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

I have around 500 miles on my Fabspeed and so far so good.
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 12:57 AM   #6
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

BimmerRob08: Is it too late to the cancel the order of the EI x-pipe?

I've also heard that the Fabspeed w/hfc's is likely the only x-pipe that doesn't throw a CEL.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 01:10 AM   #7
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
My car has NEVER suffered any types of codes with the EI set-up. I've said this before and I'll say it again: be careful when you remove your O2 sensors, and you shouldn't have any problems. The EI cats may not be HJS, but they are by no means a poor quality cat. Victor (owner of EI) and I have discussed his cats at length, and they are actually quite expensive.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
Robo Squirrel
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

i have 1500 miles on my FabSpeed...no CEL
      10-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo Squirrel View Post
i have 1500 miles on my FabSpeed...no CEL
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
umalip
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

what is this "CEL" u all keep talking about?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
Ben335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by umalip View Post
what is this "CEL" u all keep talking about?
It is the Service Engine Soon light that illuminates when the car senses that your emmissions are no longer compliant.
      10-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #12
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Yep, I'm over 3k with no issues. IMHO Encore is equal to Fabspeed; they're both great products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfoss View Post
+1 No CEL here after 1500 miles. E.I. has been a great mod. You won't regret it.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #13
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks fella's for your inputs. It's not too late to return them but I've already had them sent back to get the header-pipe flange modified and then to turn them back in would probebly piss someone off but both EI and Fabspeed claim no CEL with these HFC so it sounds reasuring that most of you guys with EI x-pipe have had no CEL come on. Must be an install issue perhaps for those that had the light come on?? Don't know. Hope it works out though. Once it's in and installed I'll make a post on what I think.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 04:35 AM   #14
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Besides the CEL sometimes on EI, the other main reason I'd go w/Fabspeed when I'm ready is that they have a lifetime warranty (HFC's included) vs EI's 2-year warranty.

BTW, CEL = Check Engine Light.

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 04:33 PM   #15
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

ya, I didn't catch that about the warrenty but then, how do HFC go out or go bad? Is it going to make a difference?? Just wondering.
Appreciate 0