BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

01-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #23
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Oh... you asked how NOT to be chosen???
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #24
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
I got called and was being screened for a DUI case. The prosecutor asked me what my opinion on drinking and driving was. I replied, "It's stupid sir. You can't really enjoy your drink while you are driving."

I didn't get selected.
      01-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #25
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

edit: you can't be excused even if you're a student unless the judge specifically pardons you..but that's what I need some advice on getting.[/QUOTE]

my last jury duty they picked 2 college students and even a lawyer. about the only way to get out is if you have some medical condition or you have a kid which need babysitting. oh, my friends mom got excused because she put on the summons that she didn't speak english...he he he...scammer.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #26
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Lemans Blue M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman619 View Post
edit: you can't be excused even if you're a student unless the judge specifically pardons you..but that's what I need some advice on getting.

my last jury duty they picked 2 college students and even a lawyer. about the only way to get out is if you have some medical condition or you have a kid which need babysitting. oh, my friends mom got excused because she put on the summons that she didn't speak english...he he he...scammer.[/QUOTE]

Medical condition didn't work for me. I get panic attacks sometimes when I am in a situation where I can't excuses myself and get a breath of fresh air or walk out of a room if need be. For example airplanes crush me. If I was picked for jury duty it would be my nightmare. I get this trapped feeling. Its almost like a psychological claustrophobia as opposed to a physical one. I got a note from my doctor confirming my medical condition, Judge said it was nonsense and did not excuse me. Medical condition, won't always work.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 05:15 PM   #27
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Just don't forget. Second last time I got a million notifications and cancellations, and when it finally wasn't canceled, I just forgot. Got fined $500, even though it was the first time. A$$holes. And yes, I told the judge the truth. Since then, I never register my new addresses as not to put up with that crap, but I eventually start getting the stupid notices again. I just make sure I'm tossed out during the attorney deliberations, since with my job (self-employed here), just can't afford not to show up, especially for days.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #28
SixBanger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I can. I've had two heart transplants and I can't be around large groups of people due to being immunosupressed however, when Sevendust comes to town (tomorrow) I'll be dam sure my ass is in the pit. : )
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #29
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
Yea you should be able to get off due to being a Full time student. Just provide proof of attending school and a class schedule
      01-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #30
my92
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Nope..there were other full time students there but none of them got excused on that basis... but I found out what really helps you getting out of jury duty.

1. Complete indifference ( by this I mean you dont answer questions the lawyers ask you or u just shrug and dont give a valid reason just " I don't know, it's just how I think " )
2. Lies
3. Lies
4. Lies

If they ask you if you can be unbiased, just say no and give one easy reason which can easily be: It's against my beliefs. lol that got two guys off. Fml i guess I'm stuck doing jury duty in compton no less..atleast it's not too long, prob a week or less.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 08:06 PM   #31
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
How about sucking it up and just serving? I don't mean to be snide, but pretty much everyone in that jury pool is busy, and some probably way busier than a college student. I don't want to get all high and mighty on you - but jury duty is a part of being an American citizen and our judicial system does rely on getting an appropriate cross section of people to serve as jurors.

As far as the length of cases go, I would say a pretty significant portion usually on last a day or so. Of course, there are exceptions, but I would consider this the general rule. In addition, your odds of making through voire dire aren't that great - so you may be assuming more risk by lying to get out instead of just showing up and getting sent home.

Also, believe it or not, jury duty can be kind of fun. Depending on the case you get, it can be pretty cool experience and you may learn a lot....
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #32
AjzRide
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1965 Mustang 351w

Wear a "Guns don't kill people... People kill people" T-Shirt. I've never been selected wearing mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #33
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Lemans Blue M-sport

I almost got picked for Grand Jury Duty. Thats 3 months of jury duty, 5 days a week 9-5. Luckily they understood I was self employed and let me off the hook.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 01:10 AM   #34
my92
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkw15 View Post
How about sucking it up and just serving? I don't mean to be snide, but pretty much everyone in that jury pool is busy, and some probably way busier than a college student. I don't want to get all high and mighty on you - but jury duty is a part of being an American citizen and our judicial system does rely on getting an appropriate cross section of people to serve as jurors.

As far as the length of cases go, I would say a pretty significant portion usually on last a day or so. Of course, there are exceptions, but I would consider this the general rule. In addition, your odds of making through voire dire aren't that great - so you may be assuming more risk by lying to get out instead of just showing up and getting sent home.

Also, believe it or not, jury duty can be kind of fun. Depending on the case you get, it can be pretty cool experience and you may learn a lot....
It's not the fact that they are busy it's just the fact that a week or more absence from a university can have dire consequences. If it wasn't that a big a deal sure I'd suck it up and serve it driving 24 miles on one of california's most congested freeway through rush hour traffic ( 91). However, I'm a junior at USC double majoring into a good portion of the semester with professors who don't give two shits what happens to you and will not easily allow you to make up quizzes or missed assignments. Not to mention the fact that jury duty may have serious implications towards your future when you fall so far behind that you have to drop your classes and take another semester with a 20,000$ TUITION cost.

Now I'm sure there are "busier" people out there who have jobs to get to but I highly doubt their missing performance of a few weeks will have as much impact as college students who rely heavily on their academic performance to determine their eligibility for future employment and I may even be so brave as to say determine their future career path.

Also, considering jury duty as a mandatory activity to be an "American" citizen is just ignorant. If it had such merit behind it, then every single one of those "American" people who are not chosen are then by default not considered to be citizens because they did not serve on a jury and was merely excused. Is the person next to me who got excused purely on their grungy look less American than I am? I think not.

There are much better candidates such as unemployed workers, household mothers, compensated workers, etc that would be more than sufficient to replace me or any other student that is obtaining higher education. While at the cafeteria I overheard conversations which allowed for more than enough people who were able and willing to serve on a jury without any complications to their social/academic/economic life.

Also I don't believe any type of crime can or should be considered "fun." What fun can be had viewing pictures of a battered woman or even something insignificant as a failure to send child support payments? Sitting on a jury panel over some minute fight between two people knowing that I'm missing out on my $20,000 a semester ( 40,000$ a year ) education because I get to have a "cool experience" is not my idea of fun.

/rant

Sorry but I needed to get that off my chest and I'm tired of people who presume that just because we are Americans, we are inclined to blindly follow government regulations on what citizens should be or behave. Our judicial system is inherently flawed, and it will never be perfect and following this flawed system merely due to the fact that it's considered "patriot" is ultimately detrimental to its own system
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #35
WCS099
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, Mystic Blue

Jury Duty

In LA the judges are really strict about letting people off. However, the longer the trial estimate, the more likely there will be jurors with hardships (work, school, daycare, etc).

Before the judge will excuse a juror for hardship, they will always ask if the juror can work around the court schedule (usually 10:00-5:00), make alternative arrangements, work after court hours, check emails at lunch, have someone else pick up the kid, etc.

The court and counsel are usually sympathetic to school schedules, but be prepared to answer those kind of questions. Point out, for example if there is a scheduled test and that sort of thing.

Finally, as a last resort you may tell the judge that although you can't sit for a 2-3 week trial, you could do a 1-3 day trial. I've seen judges send that person back to the assembly room.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 10:05 AM   #36
NYSPEM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT

I truly believe in the harshest of penalties to deter crimes. If someone is caught keying a car or putting graffiti on a wall we should carve up exactly what they tagged, on their forehead.
Plus 10 years minimum of hard labor, no parole.
If I tell them what I genuinely believe you think I'll be excused?

Certified V1 Zombie
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 02:25 AM   #37
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: g16M850;f30M550;f80M3-ED;e90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuto View Post
I almost got picked for Grand Jury Duty. Thats 3 months of jury duty, 5 days a week 9-5. Luckily they understood I was self employed and let me off the hook.
Actually being picked for a grand jury in many places is a HUGE honor. I know multiple people (mostly attorneys) who would love to be on a grand jury. My fiance's mom was on a grand jury, but for her, she was on-call for 3 months and actually only spent very little time doing it. It was super secret at the time and she could not disclose that she was even selected to be in the pool until 6 months after her commitment.

But I agree, being self employed would not be very suitable for being on a Grand Jury, but if you were at a corp or state job, why not.... You stil get paid by your work by law and you get a good change of pace.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 02:29 AM   #38
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: g16M850;f30M550;f80M3-ED;e90M3

Almost forgot:

To the OP.... that sucks, you must have killed a puppy or something in another life. Odds are stacked against you if you are the first group up and one of the first questioned. Attorneys dont want to give one of their limited passes right away for fear of a worse potential juror being on the panel because they ran out of dismissals.

Did you catch a civil or criminal case (guessing criminal in Compton but you never know) If its a 2nd degree felony or less and not a capital offense then you should be done in a few days.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 08:15 AM   #39
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by my92 View Post
It's not the fact that they are busy it's just the fact that a week or more absence from a university can have dire consequences. If it wasn't that a big a deal sure I'd suck it up and serve it driving 24 miles on one of california's most congested freeway through rush hour traffic ( 91). However, I'm a junior at USC double majoring into a good portion of the semester with professors who don't give two shits what happens to you and will not easily allow you to make up quizzes or missed assignments. Not to mention the fact that jury duty may have serious implications towards your future when you fall so far behind that you have to drop your classes and take another semester with a 20,000$ TUITION cost.

Now I'm sure there are "busier" people out there who have jobs to get to but I highly doubt their missing performance of a few weeks will have as much impact as college students who rely heavily on their academic performance to determine their eligibility for future employment and I may even be so brave as to say determine their future career path.

Also, considering jury duty as a mandatory activity to be an "American" citizen is just ignorant. If it had such merit behind it, then every single one of those "American" people who are not chosen are then by default not considered to be citizens because they did not serve on a jury and was merely excused. Is the person next to me who got excused purely on their grungy look less American than I am? I think not.

There are much better candidates such as unemployed workers, household mothers, compensated workers, etc that would be more than sufficient to replace me or any other student that is obtaining higher education. While at the cafeteria I overheard conversations which allowed for more than enough people who were able and willing to serve on a jury without any complications to their social/academic/economic life.

Also I don't believe any type of crime can or should be considered "fun." What fun can be had viewing pictures of a battered woman or even something insignificant as a failure to send child support payments? Sitting on a jury panel over some minute fight between two people knowing that I'm missing out on my $20,000 a semester ( 40,000$ a year ) education because I get to have a "cool experience" is not my idea of fun.

/rant

Sorry but I needed to get that off my chest and I'm tired of people who presume that just because we are Americans, we are inclined to blindly follow government regulations on what citizens should be or behave. Our judicial system is inherently flawed, and it will never be perfect and following this flawed system merely due to the fact that it's considered "patriot" is ultimately detrimental to its own system
Well, I'm clearly in the minority here (understandably) and I'm really not trying to disparage you in any way at all. This most likely will be moot because the liklihood of you getting through the process and actually serving is relatively minute. With that being said, you're a student! Bring your backpack and books to the courtroom while you wait.

As for your 'blindly follow government regulations' comment, I would argue that serving on a jury does just the exact OPPOSITE. It is a common misconception that jury duty is just about deciding guilt, but the system is designed as a review of the law and how it is applied to every citizen. It is the role of a juror to ensure that that law is applied justly to each and every citizen. You have the ability to check the government by ensuring that it doesn't apply unjust laws on you and your fellow citizens.

And jury duty can be fun. When I worked for a judge right out of school there was a case that involved a theft of dildos from an adult store. You've never chuckled until you've seen a prosecutor waving a big dildo around as Exhibit A.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #40
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
god speed, and good luck. The best advice i can give you is write down the dates of all your quizes and tests, make it look real nasty. Talk to the judge, explain the situation, and tell him how you have no problem serving duty, just not right now

if all goes to shit, just stay blazed during court and youll be aight.
      01-28-2010, 08:57 AM   #41
Zephyr15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by my92 View Post

So missing classes = "dire consequences"? I realize that you are very important and all that, but let's turn the drama down a notch. Also, the idea that you cannot present your professors and department heads with your notice of jury duty and make alternative arrangements is BS.

More unnecessary drama, lack of perspective and inflated sense of self-importance.

[B]You're missing the point. Everyone showing up when called is fulfilling their duty, whether selected for a jury or not. When you showed up you also fulfilled your duty. Kudos to you![B]

Of course, why haven't all the brilliant legal minds of the past 225 years thought of that!? Those people aren't as important as private school students and their time is clearly less valuable because they only have to try to find a job, raise children who can fend for themselves all day and work all night to make up for missing work. And why give the parties to the lawsuit any say in who gets picked for the jury? Let's just ask who wants to serve and then have them line up for the case they would like to serve on.

In that case you will be happy to learn that not every trial involves a crime, battered women, or "minute fight[s]." But, by all means, keep tilting at windmills and strawmen.

/rant

Sorry but I needed to get that off my chest and I'm tired of people who presume that just because we are Americans, we are inclined to blindly follow government regulations on what citizens should be or behave.

What you meant to say is that your life is too important to be interfered with or inconvenienced and that you are not interested in constructively participating in civilized society by ensuring that the government does not infringe the rights of the accused and that the disputes of private parties are decided in a just manner.

Our judicial system is inherently flawed, and it will never be perfect and following this flawed system merely due to the fact that it's considered "patriot" is ultimately detrimental to its own system

Please stop talking about things you obviously don't know anything about. Every legal system is, and always will be, flawed in some respect. That's no excuse for refusing to participate in it. However, because you're so smart, I'm sure you have a great idea for an alternative system. Let's hear it.
      01-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #42
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
what assholes, this guy has a beyond valid reason to skip on jury duty. i cant beleive the shit im reading. sooooo, if he fails his term and has to put out another 20k, is uncle sam gonna write that check too? The response would be "kiss my ass and GTFO".
      01-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #43
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
what assholes, this guy has a beyond valid reason to skip on jury duty. i cant beleive the shit im reading. sooooo, if he fails his term and has to put out another 20k, is uncle sam gonna write that check too? The response would be "kiss my ass and GTFO".
I think the point is that no one that serves on a jury isn't going to be inconvenienced, or devoid of negative repercussions from putting their daily activities on hold for a day or two. Perhaps failing his semester and losing $20k is a bit melodramatic.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #44
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I got a professor to write a letter for me. They post-poned mine a few years.
Appreciate 0