BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
Longbow64
_______
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport

KW V3 install help

I installed my KW V3 on an 09 E90 M3 with EDC today. The good news is there's no EDC codes and I didn't have any extra bolts or nuts after installation. The bad news is that I'm getting some serious rattling over bumps from what sounds like the rear. First, I removed all of the stock components (spring with bottom rubber spring housing and top cap and rubber spring housing and strut). Then put the bottom spring housing on the KW spring and installed the height adjustment purple thing and put the spring in place. I used the little black top piece from the OEM strut and put that on the KW strut and installed that. Should I have used any of the left over parts shown in the pics below (specifically the top rubber spring housing)? Any other constructive tips or ideas would be appreciated. I did do a search and couldn't find a whole lot when it came to detail. I can get more time on the lift tomorrow. Thanks.
Attached Images

07-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbow64 View Post
I installed my KW V3 on an 09 E90 M3 with EDC today. The good news is there's no EDC codes and I didn't have any extra bolts or nuts after installation. The bad news is that I'm getting some serious rattling over bumps from what sounds like the rear. First, I removed all of the stock components (spring with bottom rubber spring housing and top cap and rubber spring housing and strut). Then put the bottom spring housing on the KW spring and installed the height adjustment purple thing and put the spring in place. I used the little black top piece from the OEM strut and put that on the KW strut and installed that. Should I have used any of the left over parts shown in the pics below (specifically the top rubber spring housing)? Any other constructive tips or ideas would be appreciated. I did do a search and couldn't find a whole lot when it came to detail. I can get more time on the lift tomorrow. Thanks.
Without a picture of the install, it's hard to offer any advice. Check the torque on the damper bolts at the bottom and make sure that the sleeve that goes through the damper mount at the top is in the right place and is properly tightened.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
Longbow64
_______
Rep

Here's some shots of the install. These are shot underneath with the car on the ground. The rear spring is constructed as such from top to bottom: KW purple height adjustment thing mounted right into the place where the OEM was, spring, bottom rubber spring housing.

I checked the torque on the bolts that were removed. The ones pictured are the ones that were removed and they are all very tight (no movement).
Attached Images

07-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
Longbow64
_______
Rep

Here are some shots with the wheels off
Attached Images

07-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

If the spring is properly nested in the lower pad, then the spring looks like you've got it right.

The rear damper is also right, at least as far as I can see. The upper mount nut doesn't look like it's wound as far down as I would expect, so perhaps it's not fully seated. Are both sides the same?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
Longbow64
_______
Rep

They both have about 5 threads exposed
      07-16-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
Longbow64
_______
Rep

I adjusted the height on the passenger side of the car because it was about a half inch lower than the driver's side; when I deliberately set the height adjusting collars the same on both sides. I think I found the culprit. I'm not sure if this is leading to the noise. The driver side front strut isn't seated all the way down.
Attached Images

07-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #8
Longbow64
_______
Rep

Reseated the driver strut and reinstalled the driver rear spring. Ensured everything was tightened down and adjusted properly. I then scanned over the passenger side to ensure everything was good to go there and everything looked good to me. On the test drive, the rattling was still there. I think it's time to call in the professionals
      07-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #9
Longbow64
_______
Rep

Any ideas or suggestions?
      07-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #10
Longbow64
_______
Rep

Got it fixed. This bolt wasn't tightened as much as it needed to be in the front (the back side of this bolt is tough to grab onto). The driver side bolt running through the rear strut was stripped; so that was replaced. No more noises, just great handling. Robert and Ray over at Luna Performance in El Paso did a great job. Small shop, extremely knowledgeable. I really appreciated the customer involvement from first listening to the situation and then going on several test drives with me to work out the issues. The price was right too.
Attached Images

07-18-2011, 09:26 PM   #11
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

I actually have this problem as well in the rear. Can you be more specific into what you replaced?
      07-19-2011, 12:19 AM   #12
Longbow64
_______
Rep

This is the Bolt we had to replace (other side, but it's dark and I don't have a photo of the driver's side). They just re-threaded the lower housing and put a new bolt in. If yours isn't stripped, no need to replace, just ensure it's tight enough. You want to make sure that it puts pressure on both sides of the strut so it doesn't move and rub against the bolt (thus creating a noise). I'm obviously no expert, but good luck.
Attached Images

07-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #13
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

I first had this noise on the rear right side and the tech did say the bolt was stripped. He put a washer to 'fill in' the gap where the strut meets that housing and the sound went away... Until the other side started making noise. Looks like I should just get two new bolts and replace them. Any real reason why the bolt would strip? The only reason i could come up with is that I ran springs before coils and maybe that could have put extra pressure on the bolt? Do you have the part number by any chance?

Also, for those wondering; my shocks were checked and are not blown. This was the first thing I checked.
      07-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #14
Longbow64
_______
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
I first had this noise on the rear right side and the tech did say the bolt was stripped. He put a washer to 'fill in' the gap where the strut meets that housing and the sound went away... Until the other side started making noise. Looks like I should just get two new bolts and replace them. Any real reason why the bolt would strip? The only reason i could come up with is that I ran springs before coils and maybe that could have put extra pressure on the bolt? Do you have the part number by any chance?

Also, for those wondering; my shocks were checked and are not blown. This was the first thing I checked.
I don't have the part number, but you could look it up on realoem.com. Mine may have strip when I was either removing or reinstalling. I didn't relieve the pressure on the strut. You can do that with either a jack stand or by loosening the top.