BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

08-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
monk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Space Gray Coupe 6M

Do wheel spacer installed void the manufactured warranty?

I am scheduled for an annual service and wondering if I need to remove the wheel spacer. Any advice would be very appreciated. I have H&R 15mm all around.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by monk View Post
I am scheduled for an annual service and wondering if I need to remove the wheel spacer. Any advice would be very appreciated. I have H&R 15mm all around.
If you have a wheel bearing issue they could. I wouldn't worry about it, though.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
If you have a wheel bearing issue they will.
Fixed . If I were you, I'd remove them. I know nothing is going to happen during your visit, but if a tech with a keen eye happen to notice the spacers and he records that on their system, bye bye warranty. Why take that small risk when they're so easy to remove? But that's just my opinion. Good luck man.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

If it's not too difficult, it can't hurt to remove them but they shouldn't have an effect on your warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Fixed . If I were you, I'd remove them. I know nothing is going to happen during your visit, but if a tech with a keen eye happen to notice the spacers and he records that on their system, bye bye warranty. Why take that small risk when they're so easy to remove? But that's just my opinion. Good luck man.
I disagree. As they say there are no guarantees in life and according to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act the dealer would have to PROVE the spacer caused the failure, which he really can't do. Of course that being said I think it is likely they would try to not provide the warranty.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
they shouldn't have an effect on your warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
the dealer would have to PROVE the spacer caused the failure, which he really can't do.
We're talking WHEEL BEARING WARRANTY folks, not the entire warranty. And good luck winning a fight about wheel bearing failure with wheel spacers. It's a no-brainer.

I was just trying to help. With most manufacturers in financial distress, why take chances? It's just once a year, and easy to do. Your call. Have a great weekend gang.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 02:17 AM   #7
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
We're talking WHEEL BEARING WARRANTY folks, not the entire warranty. And good luck winning a fight about wheel bearing failure with wheel spacers. It's a no-brainer.
So was I.

It may be a "fight" initially but if you pushed really hard I suspect you would still win. It is only a slightly more concrete case of something like say higher grip tires causing a suspension failure. It is the same basic argument. One can hypothesize the mod contributed to the higher stress but that is not proof. I am certainly not positive and as mentioned be smart, just take the mod in question off to be safe with your own money if any issue ever arises.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Quote:

I was just trying to help. With most manufacturers in financial distress, why take chances? It's just once a year, and easy to do. Your call. Have a great weekend gang.
+1 - it would be pretty hard to argue that the spacer did not contribute to accelerated wear because the additional load - however, that also goes for wheel and tire combos that do not provide the factory spec offset.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
It may be a "fight" initially but if you pushed really hard I suspect you would still win.
Nobody sane is going to fight a corporate lawyer over wheel bearings for having spacers (besides, just the consultation fee would probably pay for them), so at the end you'd lose regardless.

Some people feel they can win an argument regardless of how crazy that is, just like debate class in high school, so I'm bowing out of this discussion to avoid a pissing contest. Each owner can take the risk he wants. Have a nice weekend man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
+1. It would be pretty hard to argue that the spacer did not contribute to accelerated wear because the additional load. However, that also goes for wheel and tire combos that do not provide the factory spec offset.
Absolutely true; that's why it's always ideal to keep the same relative offset (from center of the wheel). However, a wheel spacer jumps at you, while wheel offset doesn't. Same analogy with a CAI or just a racing filter inside stock airbox. Take care.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-08-2009 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
+1 - it would be pretty hard to argue that the spacer did not contribute to accelerated wear because the additional load - however, that also goes for wheel and tire combos that do not provide the factory spec offset.
I'll bet most dealers don't care that much as long as they are getting reimbursed for a warranty repair by BMW. As long as they don't note aftermarket equipment on the service order, noone upstream will ever know.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #11
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

I have a good relationship with my service advisor and the dealership in general. The last thing they want to do is get nitpicky about problems that do not yet exist. My car has lowering springs and spacers on my rear wheels and I can almost guarantee you noone is noting this on my chart. Certainly not my service advisor. What they want is a good report on the service experience and repeat sales!
      08-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #12
monk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Space Gray Coupe 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdog View Post
I have a good relationship with my service advisor and the dealership in general. The last thing they want to do is get nitpicky about problems that do not yet exist. My car has lowering springs and spacers on my rear wheels and I can almost guarantee you noone is noting this on my chart. Certainly not my service advisor. What they want is a good report on the service experience and repeat sales!
You have spacers on the rear only? So wider in the rear and not have any issue with the ride quality?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #13
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by monk View Post
You have spacers on the rear only? So wider in the rear and not have any issue with the ride quality?
How a properly sized and concentric spacer will have an issue with ride quality?
Appreciate 0