BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

05-05-2016, 11:56 PM   #1
bimmer414
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Exclamation LS swap??

With all the talk of spun rod bearings and engines with holes in the side, there's got to be a supply of cars needing engines. I wonder why no one did a LS swap yet, it seems to end up in every other car. (yes I know the LS isn't a spinner like the S65 and no I have no interest in doing it, just a theoretical question)
      05-06-2016, 12:06 AM   #2
CIFUM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

There's an RB swapped E92 M3 as a drift car.... Fuck it why not?
M colors grill - CF trunk - Sapphire Blue Forgestars F14
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2016, 12:09 AM   #3
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer414 View Post
there's got to be a supply of cars needing engines
Interesting thought, you would think that with all the paranoia regarding rod bearings that there would be more M3s sitting in junk yards with irreparable engines. I have not found any. Lack of such M3s = proof rod bearing issue is overblown?
Appreciate 2
      05-06-2016, 02:09 AM   #4
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Why do an LS swap?

You can get a stroker build with a multitude of vendors on this forum.
- Lang Racing
-MRF
- Dinan

Since the stroker kits redesign the crank shafts and match with different rods and appropriate size bearings... This ends up not only making more power but also ends up being not just a temporary fix but a permanent fix.

This route is probable also ultimately cheaper than an LS swap.

Already had my rod bearings done to buy me more time to save money to do a stroker build.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 10:43 AM   #5
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
Why do an LS swap?

- Lang Racing
-MRF
- Dinan

Since the stroker kits redesign the crank shafts and match with different rods and appropriate size bearings... This ends up not only making more power but also ends up being not just a temporary fix but a permanent fix.

Already had my rod bearings done to buy me more time to save money to do a stroker build.

The LS is a surprisingly compact and lightweight motor. It also sounds incredible. There's a huge selection of LS variants and an enormous aftermarket, too.

Driving an LS-powered car is a very different experience than the S65.
      05-06-2016, 11:05 AM   #6
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Why do an LS swap?

- Lang Racing
-MRF
- Dinan
Honestly, this is something my friends and I have been batting around for a loooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg time. Why? Primarily b/c I haven't seen any 1500whp E9X M3s, but I've seen PLENTY of 1500+ whp LS swaps, and because parts are cheaper for an LS as opposed to the S65. I don't have the time or resources to do this yet, but one day, if I can find a super high-mileage M3 for a super low price.....
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 11:14 AM   #7
08E92M
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

I just came over from a full bolt-on LS3 Corvette and it pulled like a freight train. However I haven't missed it in least bit...something about the S65 just feels "special". I've never been a fan of LS motor swaps in non GM/muscle cars but that is just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 11:17 AM   #8
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Honestly, this is something my friends and I have been batting around for a loooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg time. Why? Primarily b/c I haven't seen any 1500whp E9X M3s, but I've seen PLENTY of 1500+ whp LS swaps, and because parts are cheaper for an LS as opposed to the S65. I don't have the time or resources to do this yet, but one day, if I can find a super high-mileage M3 for a super low price.....
How much money on average is needed to do a whole swap?
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1195176
Aussies did it.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 11:22 AM   #9
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
How much money on average is needed to do a whole swap?
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1195176
Aussies did it.
You linked it, didn't you read it? *lol* They charge $15k for labor and all the parts....minus the car, I would imagine. Headers and mount kit for $1900....

Last edited by whats77inaname; 05-06-2016 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 11:52 AM   #10
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
The LS is a surprisingly compact and lightweight motor. It also sounds incredible. There's a huge selection of LS variants and an enormous aftermarket, too.

Driving an LS-powered car is a very different experience than the S65.
Agreed, I think the LS is a great motor. You can go on the GM parts catalogue and find fully built LS crate motors ready for a home.

Quote:
A few weeks ago there was a flood damaged M3 that was for sale that would be a perfect candidate for such a swap. Otherwise why limit yourself to the E90 M3 when you can put the motor into any BMW.

I'd love to put a 1500hp LS motor into a BMW X5; fabricate a long travel suspension; rally rims and tires and go troll all the offroad Baja race events with it by unofficially racing the different racers in the different sections
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #11
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3
A few weeks ago there was a flood damaged M3 that was for sale that would be a perfect candidate for such a swap. Otherwise why limit yourself to the E90 M3 when you can put the motor into any BMW.
Because I really, really like the look of the E90. To me, it's the perfect mix of size and balance, and it is aging very, very gracefully.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #12
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
You linked it, didn't you read it? *lol* They charge $15k for labor and all the parts....minus the car, I would imagine. Headers and mount kit for $1900....
I don't want to believe $15k
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 12:31 PM   #13
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY View Post
Interesting thought, you would think that with all the paranoia regarding rod bearings that there would be more M3s sitting in junk yards with irreparable engines. I have not found any. Lack of such M3s = proof rod bearing issue is overblown?
Not necessarily.. The e9x m3 is still a bad ass car, with or without the bearing dilemma... You are not going to see very many in Junk yards because they are still a highly sought after car for racing, parts, and enthusiasts... lack of such M3's = high demand...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #14
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Why do an LS swap?

- Lang Racing
-MRF
- Dinan

The LS is one of the best engines ever produced... ever..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 12:40 PM   #15
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Why do an LS swap?

- Lang Racing
-MRF
- Dinan

you do know lang and dinan are $20-$30 motors right? I can do a crate motor LS with more power for far less money. with that said, i'd never do it.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #16
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
you do know lang and dinan are $20-$30 motors right? I can do a crate motor LS with more power for far less money. with that said, i'd never do it.
Pricing for the Lang kit is at the bottom

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...t=lang+stroker

they have an $18k package installed and an $15.5k package installed

of course they need your donor motor for it however.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #17
pooyab
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 2020 BMW M5C

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'd want to use the new LT4 motor. That thing is nice.
Interlagos Blue/Speed Cloth | BayOptiks DTM Headlights | Alpine Stage 2 | KW Clubsport | Resonated X-Pipe | Eisenmann Race | StopTech BBK | TE37SL | YFCM CF Driveshaft | Hotchkis F/R Sways | F/R Endlinks | Turner Control Arms and Front Tension Bushings | Powerflex Diff Bushings | Turner Solid Subframe Bushings | MS Underdrive Pulley and Intake | Alpine DCT Tune | Karbonius Intake | Carbon Roof (TBD)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #18
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:

my point is an LS motor is way less than 1/2 that. plus it wont take 9 months to build.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2016, 03:50 PM   #19
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

TBHWY, one could sell their S65 and make enough money to buy an LS engine, and then pay for the Brintech mount kit/headers, and whatever else they have to do to get the CANBUS to work correctly.

Thing is, I want a s/c'er. That's always been the end game. But $9k for a used 650 kit buys a lot of LS swap potential. Just saying.

And they *can* be built to run 8K rpms safely....

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/video-a-10...most-8000-rpm/
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 04:23 PM   #20
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
TBHWY, one could sell their S65 and make enough money to buy an LS engine, and then pay for the Brintech mount kit/headers, and whatever else they have to do to get the CANBUS to work correctly.

Thing is, I want a s/c'er. That's always been the end game. But $9k for a used 650 kit buys a lot of LS swap potential. Just saying.

And they *can* be built to run 8K rpms safely....

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/video-a-10...most-8000-rpm/
cadillac ctsv/four door.
there are a couple of guys here in town with ported blowers and cams making way more than any s/c kit (except the vt3s) and the four doors are beautiful cars.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 04:54 PM   #21
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
cadillac ctsv/four door.
there are a couple of guys here in town with ported blowers and cams making way more than any s/c kit (except the vt3s) and the four doors are beautiful cars.
There are a couple TTs running around here....believe me, I know
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 01:11 PM   #22
nitrojunky
Private
Rep
Drives: C6Z, 335i, e90M

having owned an LS1, LS6, and presently an LS7 car, i wouldn't do it.

my reasoning is 98% opinion, and opinions will vary.

reason: for a street driven car, i like the S65 for its sound and character.

the LS engines are awesome engines for the reasons noted above (extremely compact, extremely capable, very light weight, huge aftermarket support), but i have an M3 in my stable in no small part because i like the personality and sound of the S65. sure, it isn't as fast, but that isn't the point. if my S65 goes, i'll most likely install another S65.

as far as sound is concerned, IMO, apples to apples, the S65 sounds better. install a nasty cam + full exhaust + light weight flywheel on an LS car and it sounds pretty damn good, but it still doesn't turn 8400 RPM. my C5Z (LS6) sounded pretty good with its american racing headers (which includes an incredible x-pipe config) and high flow cats and GHL muffler section, however except for the reduced dB, i think that my S65 in stock form sounds just as good, just in a different way. the full exhaust C5Z sounds nasty because of the high flow cats and pops, but the S65 turns 8.4kRPM and spins up faster when rev matching. i'm a bit of a high RPM engine sound junky and if it's not >= 8kRPM, it's just missing something. in a more stock format and depending on what you select, the LS will turn 6.25 to 7k RPM which isn't bad, but it still doesn't sound the same. also, the LS will spin up and down in a more lazy fashion unless you do some work with its electronic throttle control + light weight flywheel & clutch. the spin up/down won't really do anything measurable for performance numbers, but it really affects three pedal driving enjoyment for me. finally, another sound aspect of the S65 i like are the straight cut cam gears. because, racecar. also, there is something aesthetically cool about having the engine happily spinning at 2.5-3k RPM while cruising down the highway.

i like both the super flat torque curve of the S65 and more traditional torque curve of the LSx, albeit for different reasons.

another three pedal comment: in the case of my C6Z, it has the power to use all available traction yet have incredibly long gears. like 87 mph in second gear long gears. for high performance, this is a great thing, but you never really get to wind it out through a few gears on the street if you want to retain your license. so you do less shifting, less heel + toe, etc. while playing around on the road. i find myself echoing the comments i read about the GT4's gearing. better for track performance, but a little less involving on the street because it's so good...

Last edited by nitrojunky; 05-08-2016 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0