BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

06-24-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Any BMW Sales Associates here?

Hey guys,
I'm still probably considered a n00b to you guys , but I've been lurking on e90post for quite some time and am now coming to you guys for advice.

I've just recently made a BIG career change (going to become a sales associate for a local BMW dealership from dealing with mortgages everyday for ~4 years).
With this comes (I guess what you call) cold feet. I will no longer be bringing home the guaranteed paycheque that I once had.

Can any of you guys offer any advice for a person just entering into this world of sales? Any advice/tips/pointers, I'd really appreciate.

E90 335xi|Nav pkg|Sport pkg|Dakota leather|Brushed aluminum trim|MTech kit
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 09:08 PM   #2
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
What dealership are you at?
I've wanted to sell BMWs for soooo long!
Just really never knew how to get started.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 09:13 PM   #3
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
I was in the business for years. Here's what I'll tell you...

Be prepared to work all day everyday, and never let a customer walk, and you'll do OK. It takes a while to develop a repeat/referral clientel, and that is what you need to survive.

PM Pics for more advice.

I keed, I keed.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPaulBaiLeyx View Post
What dealership are you at?
I've wanted to sell BMWs for soooo long!
Just really never knew how to get started.
I'll be at Town & Country BMW (in Toronto, Canada).
You should consider looking into it. Give it a try (that's what I'm doing).

I'm not sure what the laws are where you live, but here we need to get licensed. It's a one day course and a 3/4 hour exam.
In order to enrol for that course, you need to have a dealership sponsor you (it's a new law here that's helping to tighten up on restricting the licensing process. Any Joe Blow off the streets can't just pay a fee and automatically be licensed to sell cars).

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #5
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
I was in the business for years. Here's what I'll tell you...

Be prepared to work all day everyday, and never let a customer walk, and you'll do OK. It takes a while to develop a repeat/referral clientel, and that is what you need to survive.

PM Pics for more advice.

I keed, I keed.

I should've expected the pic question.

I'm not meaning to steal your thunder, but would you mind offering some advice on how you develop a repeat/referral cleintel?
If not, I totally understand...it's your way of doing your business.

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
I should've expected the pic question.

I'm not meaning to steal your thunder, but would you mind offering some advice on how you develop a repeat/referral cleintel?
If not, I totally understand...it's your way of doing your business.
The only way to really develop repeat business is to stick around long enough to have repeat customers. For referrals, you gotta ask. When you do your follow up calls, ask them if they have friends that are looking, and ask them to please send them your way. Bribes help too. Buy little gifts to keep in your desk to give to buyers, and hand out plenty of business cards.

I hate to say it, but if you follow those steps, especially if you're cute, you will do OK.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep

Quote:
The only way to really develop repeat business is to stick around long enough to have repeat customers. For referrals, you gotta ask. When you do your follow up calls, ask them if they have friends that are looking, and ask them to please send them your way. Bribes help too. Buy little gifts to keep in your desk to give to buyers, and hand out plenty of business cards.

I hate to say it, but if you follow those steps, especially if you're cute, you will do OK.
Wow! Thanks for the pointers!

One thing I just thought is to maybe have candy/kiddy books for the customer's kids.

I completely agree with you about the looks thing though. That's the first thing the potential client notices and I think it's the one that determines if you make a deal or not.

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
Wow! Thanks for the pointers!

One thing I just thought is to maybe have candy/kiddy books for the customer's kids.
Taking cranky kids out the decision making process is good. Takes away another excuse from the buyers.

Just remember to listen (or try to listen) to your sales managers. They are there to help you sell.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 10:23 PM   #9
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
just know your products...there is nothing that I hate more than when I go to the stealership and I know their product better then the salesperson...just know your stuff...don't BS your customers...and do/follow-up on whatever you promised...just my .04 (inflation ya know)

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 10:32 PM   #10
ac1208
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Town & Country BMW!
Maybe I'll spot you at the dealership when i pick up my car sometime this week.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 07:45 AM   #11
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

Work hard. Work smart. Definately what others have said. And yes, knowing your product is very important. LISTEN to what the customer needs/wants. Dont try to make a hard sale everytime. Building good relationships may lead to referrals which is huge. Good luck!

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 08:21 AM   #12
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep

Thanks so much for the pointers, everyone! I'm taking note of everything that has been mentioned so far.

Keep em coming!

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 08:25 AM   #13
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
I find I return to the people who are nice... even if I don't end up buying, if the sales person is nice, knowledgeable and not pushy I'll send my friends his or her way...

don't be pushy
I also find being as excited about the product as your customer would be is a big push...
I'm a person who hates walking out of a store empty handed when the sales guy was smiling, helpful and down right friendly...

it's also nice to follow up with random calls to make sure ur client feels that you actually care that they are still happy with the purchase

one advice I can give you... don't ever look down on a customer.. even if it's a kid...
      06-25-2008, 08:44 AM   #14
40yroldawakening
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Garage List
07 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
just know your products...there is nothing that I hate more than when I go to the stealership and I know their product better then the salesperson...just know your stuff...don't BS your customers...and do/follow-up on whatever you promised...just my .04 (inflation ya know)
I second that, You must know your product and the functions, and it helps if you truly love the car brand you are selling. When I was looking at getting a 135i, the S/A knew nothing about them, I actually educated him myself.

I was also thinking about the same career change, and I was going to study every model they sold, read, read & read more, learn about every option available and I feel it even helps to know the BMW line by the e90,e92 ect. I wouldn't use it all the time, but if you get a customer that refers to the cars like this, he would be highly impressed if you knew what he was talking about.

I still think about trying it all the time, the wife wants me too, but its hard jumping into something that may not be a steady income. I need to know what i'm going to make every week, not wondering if i'm going to sell enough cars to pay my bills. Its scary, but I applaud you for giving it a shot.

Good luck, and best regards at your new career,
NOW go sell some cars !!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 08:58 AM   #15
mpimping
Banned
South Korea
Rep
Drives: gti

don't sleep with anybody that you work with or customers. it's not complex but you have to hustle and the hours are long... I'm not sure about Canada but in America it's long hours and most of the salesman are divorced.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 09:02 AM   #16
mpimping
Banned
South Korea
Rep
Drives: gti

Quote:

birddog

Monday - Thursday 9:00am - 9:00pm
Friday 9:00am - 6:00pm
Saturday 9:00am - 6:00pm\

call all your past clients and ask for referrals and everybody you meet...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #17
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Since you were in a sales role before, try to leverage those contacts if you can.

Actually, if you work for one of the big 5, they would frown on that sort of thing. But if you work for a smaller company, it may work.

Sales is about having a network. You need to know a lot of people who know people. Refer business around your circle of contacts. If someone is in buying a car and mention they are looking for a mortage, refer them to a friend of yours. If you have enough contacts you can get a nice loop going.

And since you're the first SA in Toronto I've seen here, I'll give you a call when I'm looking for my M3, sometime in December or January.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #18
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
Oh I've been reading up on all the models. I want to impress my clients and have them think "damn, this girl knows her s**t! "

Guys, I can't express how grateful I am to be reading all this. I thought I wouldn't get much feed back because of my post count.

Thank you all! And if there are any more you would like to add, please do!

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 12:15 PM   #19
slalomfever
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nardo Grey F80

I have been a CA for 9 years now. I also have been in the top 50 in the country for 8 yrs. If you are successful, this can be your whole career and put your kids through college. One of the best things I can tell you is that you never pre-judge or under estimate who you are talking to. In addition, try to treat each potential client the same as everyone else. Do everything step by step...it starts with the meet and greet and you have to go through the motions.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Appreciate 0